Perfect way to use fuze

1 Windows Media player’s sync is terriable, cannot imagine who design that.

2 So just use a 3rd-party software to do the sync. I suggest SyncExpert or Allway Sync.

SyncExpert is a very good software, old and powerful. Allway sync have fancy interface and can do automatically sync when detected the device.

3 create a folder on you hard disc and put whatever you want to put on the fuze into this folder and sync them. whatever you do the change local will be reflected to fuze. having sd? two sync folders then.

4 you can create “symbolic link” to the sync folder so you don’t have to copy the files around and waste you hard disc space. (Yes, NTFS support symbolic link, just google for usage). The SyncExpert support this method but Allway sync does not. Imagine you have a well organized folder structure for music. when you need to put a folder to fuze, create a link in the sync folde. When you want delete them from fuze, delete the link. Nothing changes on you hard drive.

5 use MSC mode, so windows recognize fuze as driver rather than portable device, so you can sync. and a lot of problems will be solved in MSC mode.

6 use m3u playlist, the lists can be put anywhere as long as the relative path is correct.

7 about chinese or other multibyte languages, use a m3u but write in UTF-8. m3u8 is not support by fuze, but UTF-8 content m3u is supported.

8 use id3 tag v2.3(UTF-16) to avoid display problem for non-english content. mp3tag can do that easily.

9 there are some constraints in playlist, seemed that the folder’s name cannot be to long.

10 you can use windows media player to create playlist and sync to fuze, however and folder structure is fully messy and very unconvinient to delete song. You cannot see these music in MSC mode.

11 the following is a python script to create playlist for current folder, use folder’s name as filename and contain all the support files in the folder. It use UTF-8 m3u file so support all language perfectly. To run it, you need to install python. You can write another script to call this in each folder you want to create playlist. It should be very simple if you know python. It also support sympolic link folder. Perfect.

#create m3u playlist for Sansa Fuze which support UTF-8 format m3u file(m3u8 unsupported-_-#)
import os, sys
import locale
import codecs
support_file=[‘.mp3’,‘.wma’,‘.ogg’,‘.flac’];
language, output_encoding = locale.getdefaultlocale();
print ‘System locale is’+language+’ '+output_encoding;

def listfile(path,fp):
    subdirs=os.listdir(‘\’.join(path));
    for dir in subdirs:
        if os.path.isdir(‘\’.join(path)+‘\’+dir)==True:
            path.append(dir);
            listfile(path,fp);
            path.pop();
        else:
            if os.path.splitext(dir)[1].lower() in support_file:
                title=“\”.join(path)+‘\’+dir;
                if title[0]==‘.’: title=title[2:]
                #print title;
                title=unicode(title+‘\n’,output_encoding);
                fp.write(title);

def createlist(dir):
    print ‘Create utf-8 playlist for ‘+os.path.abspath(dir);
    filename=os.path.split(os.path.abspath(dir))[-1];
    filename=filename+’.m3u’;
    files=os.listdir(dir);
    fp=codecs.open(filename,‘w’,‘utf-8’);
    path=[dir];
    listfile(path,fp);
    fp.write(u’\n’);#fuze bug require an additional \n to load the last one
    fp.close();

if __name__==‘__main__’:
    if len(sys.argv)==1:
        createlist(‘.’);
    else:
        for curdir in sys.argv[1:]:
            createlist(curdir);

yowza!

I abandoned WMP a while ago.  Now just drag and drop and do not use playlists.  Too much work.

There’s no need to go through all that. As blackdig-sansa said, simply drag & drop what you want onto your Fuze. Forget all that ‘sync’ business. Sync stinks!

And why go through all the trouble to learn how to program in Python in order to create playlists when there are so many other programs (already written) that will do it for you? Winamp & Media Monkey are 2 commercial, yet free ones and there are a whole slew of other programs and scripts people have already written.

But I do agree with you on #1. :wink:

There’s no need to go through all that. As blackdog-sansa said, simply drag & drop what you want onto your Fuze. Forget all that ‘sync’ business. Sync stinks!

And why go through all the trouble to learn how to program in Python in order to create playlists when there are so many other programs (already written) that will do it for you? Winamp & Media Monkey are 2 commercial, yet free ones and there are a whole slew of other programs and scripts people have already written.

But I do agree with you on #1. :wink:

To quote the immortal Beavis and Butt-head, “uh, what?” :stuck_out_tongue:

Pfft, if I wanted to use proprietary software just to put my music on my Fuze, I’d be using Windoze right now. A good standby that works in the Big Three of operating systems (Windoze, Macintosh, and - my fave - Linux) is the good ol’ drag’n’drop, though I’m told you have to make hidden folders viewable in Windoze, but big deal, that should be easy enough.

What I did to create playlist is just typing this in DOS:

dir /b /s /on *.mp3 *.wma > List1.m3u

then use an editor, replace all the absolute path C:.… with nothing.

I cannot get it to support Chinese filename in the M3U file, so I have to rename all the songs to English.  What a pain!

Sandisk really need to update the firmware to include a file browser so that the user can directly play all files within a folder.  All other brands of MP3 have this feature!

Another problem with this player is that you cannot find out the filename of the file that you are currently playing.  It is so stupid!

It would be nice to figure that one out without having to plug in to the computer. But it’s the same with every MP3 player I’ve used (though I’ve only used a small handful). The solution is to plug in to the computer and look up the file name that way. But yes, it would be nice to be able to find out the file name without a computer.

Two items:

1. MP3Tag is very useful for ID3 tag maintenance, and can generate playlists as well (check the “Entries relative from work directory”’ option).

2. I have not tried this since the recent firmware upgrade, but previously I found that .m3u8 playlists *are* supported. Your file text must be UTF-8 encoded (hence the “8” in .m3u8) and, unfortunately, must *not* begin with the Byte Order Mark (BOM) characters.  I did not test with a non-Latin 1 characters, but it did enable using all the fancy umlauts, dieresis and “smart quotes” found in the tags of some classical recordings.

I should probably re-test this with the newer firmware and UTF-16 tags and see if there are any differences…

eh…huh?

Me push button

Me hear music

Music GOOD

resnbl: You lost me on number 2.

I hear ya’ Blackdog. I know I for one feel pretty stoopid when I hear some of these technical discussions.

FYI: I believe WMP is required for NetLibrary audiobooks.  As far as I know, there’s no other way to sync them and still get the DRM updated so that they can be played.  (Overdrive audiobooks use their own syncing tool).

Message Edited by MyDD on 12-07-2008 10:31 AM

@hyiu00 wrote:

Sandisk really need to update the firmware to include a file browser so that the user can directly play all files within a folder.  All other brands of MP3 have this feature!

Not really. In fact, more browse by ‘tags’, rather than ‘folders’.

@hyiu00 wrote:
Another problem with this player is that you cannot find out the filename of the file that you are currently playing.  It is so stupid!

If your ID3 tags are in order and correct, this should not be a problem. And you can’t look for a filename on a player that doesn’t support folder/file browsing.

Stupid? That’s a matter of opinion. But I sure don’t want to start another “Folders vs. Tags Smackdown”! Suffice it to say, that’s just the way it is (at least for now), so you can either learn & adapt to it, or get something else better suited to you and what you want. That’s just the way it is! SanDisk (at least for now) does not offer ‘Folder Browsing’. If this is that important to you, get another brand of player that does.

There are plenty of fish in the sea. :smiley:

It’s SanDisk’s decision; not yours; not mine. And whining, crying & stomping your feet in a tantrum here on this forum is not going to change it. It’s only going to irritate all the regulars here who have heard it all before, and are frankly (speaking for myself), tired of it!

(And before you say, “Who cares?”, think about this. Who is it that usually comes to your aid & helps when you have a legitimate problem?) :wink:

Yes, it is all my fault I did not read through all the reviews before buying this unit.

“crying & stomping” is just the way you view my wording on it.  But I am sure Sandisk open this forum for user to voice their opinion wheter it is good or bad.  Even if they decided not to change it, they sure would welcome feedback from the user.

It is not a matter of “either or”, you can have both file browsing AND tag browsing feature built-in.  At least this feature is available in several players I have used before. 

@pikidalto wrote:
resnbl: You lost me on number 2.

I was replying to the OP’s #7 about .m3u8 not being supported.

For more info on UTF-8 encoding playlists, see my post http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=8691 for examples.

@hyiu00 wrote:

It is not a matter of “either or”, you can have both file browsing AND tag browsing feature built-in.  At least this feature is available in several players I have used before. 

Like what? I know the iPods don’t do it, and I don’t think the Zunes do either. Combine those with the Sansas, and that’s something like 95% of the players sold. Of course, over 80% of that is iPods, and they are far more dependent on tags - the filename is lopped off, and they’re randomly placed in hidden directories. Tags are what most people use; its not exacly unmanageable!

Whazz? I just use beemp3 and download my music, then drag and transfer.

Okay the Cowon, iRiver, Samsung, Meizu, etc has the play by folder feature.  You might be right about the market share.  But I sure will not buy something because of market share.  I will buy it with the feature and price that match with what I wanted.  The overall MP3 market share is shrinking anyway.  Many people will just go for a mobile phone with MP3 functions, and you can see the filename of the files you are playing in all mobile phones that I know of.

>> Like what? I know the iPods don’t do it, and I don’t think the Zunes do either. Combine those with the Sansas, and

>> that’s something like 95% of the players sold. Of course, over 80% of that is iPods, and they are far more dependent

>> on tags - the filename is lopped off, and they’re randomly placed in hidden directories. Tags are what most people use;

>> its not exacly unmanageable!