No volume, suddenly

Yesterday, I spent several hours finishing an audiobook on the Clip. No problems. Quite enjoyable. An hour or so later, I decided to start listen to a diferrent book on the player. I had already listened to part 01 of that book, so I chose part two. I heard the first two words of the chapter and then nothing. I tried the other books on the player and two or three times, I would hear the first two words of the section I chose and then nothing. Now I don’t even get the two words being said.

I changed nothing on the player nor did I even attach it to my PC here at home between the time I had sound and the time I didn’t.

I’ve tried both MSC and MTP. It was originally set on Auto-detect and I’ve returned it to that setting. I’ve tried the normal and high volume settings. I looked at the equalizer settings, but I don’t know how that business works.

I tried changing the section number from 02 to 01, in case the problem has something to do with the odd way the player downloads the audiobook sections, but I am unable to change the file name in My Computer.

This did happen once before when I first got the player and the volume came back after I took the player to work and connected it to my iMac. Why would this fix the problem? Was it a coincidence? I have the latest firmware installed.

Any idea?

I need to also add that the book sections don’t seem to actually be playing.

You don’t mention how long you’ve had your unit or how familiar you are with it.  Having had a couple units w/ defective batteries, before I finally returned it/them to BB, I grew used to having a similar occurence when the battery was low.  Could that be your problem?

You don’t mention how long you’ve had your unit or how familiar you are with it.  Having had a couple units w/defective batteries, before I finally returned it/them to BB I grew used to having a similar occurence when the battery was low.  Could something that easy possibly be your problem?

I purchased the Clip last weekend. Had a little trouble understanding how to download and install the firmware update, but was finally succesful. I’m not afraid to mess about with this sort of thing, but it usually takes some serious work on my part to understand what is happening.

I just deleted the audiobook that I was trying to listen to on the Clip and transfered it again via Media Overdrive. This was done on a third computer (not my work iMac, nor my desktop PC at home). Now the volume is working on all the books.

This is so odd. Any ideas as to why this is happening? The battery is fully charged.

I have had problems before when transferring multiple parts.  It was simply a glitch in the transfer.  To solve my own dilemma with Audible books, I switched to the Audible Manager client, rather than the WiMP 11 version. 

Reloading a quirky file is the simplest way to troubleshoot glitches like these.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Ok. I’ll try to keep track of more details when I download and transfer my next few books. Maybe I can figure out what is going wrong. They are all via Media Overdrive and then WMP.  Thank you.

This problem continues. I finished an audiobook last night and decided to start another one. I hear about four words and then nothing. I tried another book that is on the player and receive the message “synchronize your player to continue your music subscription”. This message is completely new to me. I haven’t seen it before during the approximately three weeks of having the player.

I use Media OverDrive for downloading my books. I can’t figure out how to put them in the Windows Media synch section of the program.

I deleted the audiobooks and transfered them again, but still no sound after about five seconds.

Do the books play fine using the OverDrive player on your computer?  Have they expired based on the information in the OverDrive software?

Most important is to connect the Clip in MTP mode to transfer over the files so the licenses get transferred appropriately.

If you’re using the Media OverDrive player for downloading and transferring to your Clip then make sure the books you want to listen to haven’t expired.  If they have expired but you’ve checked them out again you’ll want to download them again as I haven’t figured out a way to renew the license without a fresh download.  Delete the old version of the book off the Clip and then use the OverDrive software to transfer again.  To transfer the book using the OverDrive software, simply highlight the book on the right panel then click on the “Transfer” button.  You’ll need to transfer each book separately if you’ve got more than one.

Hope this helps.  Let us know what procedure worked for you (I’m assuming it will work).

The books play fine on OverDrive. They have not expired in the OverDrive system.

My player is set for automatic concerning the MTP business, but I’ll try setting it to that manually and see what happens with the next download.

The odd thing is that the books “B” and “C” all played fine until I finished book “A”. Then B & C refused to play. This happend before, as I mentioned in the first post of this thread. How would finishing one book cause another not to play?

I’ll try resetting the player manually to MTP and then download B & C again. It’s a good thing that I am cyberpals with the director of my library system as it must look odd to download the books so many times.  

First I’d try resetting the unit by holding up the power button for 15 seconds.

If the unexpired books are the ones you’re trying to listen to then delete those files off the Clip and re-transfer using MTP mode.

I generally try not to connect the Clip to my computer until I’m done with all the books I want to listen to because the same problem you’re having happened to me once too.  Not really sure what exactly fixed the problem - I wasn’t reading the forum very often at the time so tried all kinds of things.  The good news is that it’s all working now.

I see you’re using a Mac and Windows via Parallels…could that be the problem?  If you don’t have any other files you want to keep on the Clip, what about reformatting it?  I’ve never had to reformat my Clip but I use Windows XP on the 3 computers I connect the Clip to.

Ok. I deleted all the books on the player, reset it from autodetect to MTP and transfered three books to the player again. So far they are all working.

The problem has surfaced after I finish a book and then try to start the next one. It will be interesting to see what happens after I finish one of these three.

I haven’t had any problems using Windows’ programs on the Mac via Parallels, with the exception of the number keypad not working within the Windows’ program. That’s annoying, but I can work-around it.  

I do find that when I plug the player in the Mac, sometimes it’s recognized and sometimes it’s not. To have Windows recognize it, I have to have Windows up and running and then plug it in to be able to view it in My Computer.

How do you avoid having to charge the computer during the time you are listening to a book? Or do you charge it on a computer that doesn’t have the Overdrive software on it?  

Sorry: I meant - how do you charge the Player during the time you are listening to a book?

Glad to hear everything is working again.  If it’s working now it should work later but you say that’s where you’ve had problems in the past.  I think it may be because you’re plugging it into the computer between books but not sure why.  If you can get by without connecting to a computer you should be OK.

I charge my Clip with either (1) my phone’s USB charger, (2) a Belkin car USB charger for my phone, or (3) a USB charger kit I recently got at walmart for $15 that works with the short USB cable from the Clip or other similar USB to mini-USB cables.  The kit, the Scosche “ip2in1”, comes with a home (AC) charger with a USB port and foldable plugs plus a car (DC) charger with a USB port.  The kit says Scosche at top and “USB Home/Car Charger Kit” (or something like that) at bottom and is in a plastic hanging container with white and light blue background.  I found mine near all the other earbuds and ipod accessories at wally’s world.

The player will turn on automatically when you plug it in to AC and you’ll be able to listen to it while it charges.  If you’re not going to listen while it charges you’ll want to make sure that it is paused.  I pause mine before I power it off so it comes back on in pause mode automatically.  If you power it down while playing it comes back on playing.

It worked fine during lunch. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for the commute home. Thanks for your assistance. I’ll get one of the chargers you describe over the weekend, if not sooner.

@audiobookfan wrote:

Sorry: I meant - how do you charge the Player during the time you are listening to a book?

I tried charging my Clip by rapidly scuffing it through my hair once…it didn’t work.  If you connect a charger that employs the mini USB connector for the Clip, it will charge as you listen.  The display will time out, and go blank, but the device will stay live.

A footnote about using a separate charger: you must turn the Clip ON manually to initiate charging.  Connecting to a USB port wakes the Clip up, as soon as it sees a live data stream on the USB port.  The reason for the manual power ON requirement is that the Clip’s processor actually handles the charging operation, so it needs to be “live”.

Bob  :wink:

Perhaps I’m not understanding this correctly, but my Clip turns on automatically when connected to a plugged-in AC charger, and appears to start charging (and plays).

There was an earlier discussion of this a while back, where users had the experience of plugging in their Clip to a charger, only to have no change in the state of battery charge after leaving it connected for a few hours.

A mention of manually powering on first was part of that discussion.

At about the same time, I tried an automotive Motorola compatible charger, and the Clip didn’t power up on its own.

The firmware release of 1.01.20 has happened since that time…does your Clip power up automatically?  Pins 2 and 3 of the charger were mentioned as being shunted together on some chargers  (these are the data pins). 

Bob  :smiley:

Yes, the Clip turns on automatically when you connect to a plugged in charger whether it be AC (home/work) or DC (car).  You can listen while it charges.  I’m using firmware 01.01.20 if it matters.

I’ve read that the Clip will only charge when it is ON but haven’t confirmed this myself.  I leave it paused overnight while it charges if I haven’t been able to charge it while listening during the day.

Message Edited by SteveG on 04-24-2008 11:03 AM

@neutron_bob wrote:

There was an earlier discussion of this a while back, where users had the experience of plugging in their Clip to a charger, only to have no change in the state of battery charge after leaving it connected for a few hours.

A mention of manually powering on first was part of that discussion.

At about the same time, I tried an automotive Motorola compatible charger, and the Clip didn’t power up on its own.

The firmware release of 1.01.20 has happened since that time…does your Clip power up automatically?  Pins 2 and 3 of the charger were mentioned as being shunted together on some chargers  (these are the data pins). 

Bob  :smiley:

My player turns on automatically indeed with version 20 of the software (I don’t recall if it did so with earlier versions), and with a DLO “Power Bug” charger (if I recall correctly, it also does so with the Macally charger).

(By the way:  The DLO Power Bug:  a cute and small adapter (good for travel), although overpriced at $20; get it for half the price at Buy.com using a new Google Checkout account with GCO’s $10-off offer for new accounts.  Amp. rating is half an amp, more than enough for the Clip (the Macally is 1 amp, per Macally’s tech. people).)