No volume, suddenly

I continue to not be able to listen to an audiobook directly after finishing the previous one.

I finish book A and attempt to start book B. Sometimes I don’t hear anything, sometimes I hear about five or six words and then the sound stops. If I attempt to listen to book C, the player snaps back to book B, but still no sound.

A, B and C are all in the Music folder from before the recent firmware update.

When I tried book D, which is in the Audio Book folder, the player quickly cycled through all the sections of the book and then automatically it attempted to play section two of book D, but still no sound.

In the past I’ve deleted all the books and reloaded them, but I shouldn’t have to do this. Is anyone else having this same problem?  

I’ve not had this exact problem before but I’ll try to help since I’ve had similar issues before.

Are the books from NetLibrary, OverDrive, Audible, burned from CDs, or MP3s already on a CD?  I suspect there could be license issues if you’re using NL or OD books.

Is the Clip connecting in MTP mode and were the books in question transferred over in MTP mode?  This is a necessity for DRM-licensed files/books from NL or OD to play correctly.

If MTP mode used then were the files transferred via WMP or some other method from PC to Clip?  Drag and drop in windows explorer won’t work for getting the licenses over to the Clip.

If NL books, did you play them on your PC before syncing them to the Clip?  NL books won’t play on the Clip until you “check out” the license by getting it to play successfully on your PC.

Are the licenses expired?  If NL then check out the books on the NL website, play the existing books from your PC (assuming you didn’t delete them) to update the licenses, delete the non-working ones from the Clip, and then re-sync them to the Clip.

Answers to these questions should help us find a solution.

Message Edited by SteveG on 06-13-2008 06:02 PM

The books are from OverDrive. I do not have them on CD. The licenses are current.

I have the Clip set on automatic detection for the proper mode.  I used the most recent firmware and WMP.  

I’ll try setting the mode to MTP manually and download a new book and see what happens when I finish the one I’m currently listening to and then try the new one.

Thank you -  

There were two posts that you said , you finished book A and than book B and C don’t play.

Are the two instances of Book A you mentioned, the same book? or your just saying after the first book is finished you can’t hear the next books. 

After I finish one book, another book won’t start. My use of “book A” was just a place holder, each time it was a different book.

I’ve downloaded two books into the audiobook folder (and in mtp mode). I’m currently listening to a book that I mistakenly downloaded into the music folder (I forgot to choose ‘advanced’ in downloading). When I’m done with it (currently in hour 6 of 18) I’ll go right to one of the books in the audiobook folder and see if it starts.  

wow you really a audiobook fan, you go through books like knife through room temperatured butter! 

regarding playback issue, I have a few troubleshoot questions:

1. when listening to the first audiobook, how do you procede to the next chapter (next parted file). do you navigate, or you allow it to auto skip.

2. After the first audiobook finishes, how do you begin playback of the next audiobook?

3. (sorry if this was already mentioned before) After the first audiobook finishes, does all audio playback stop?(FM, Music, voice record, etc)

Somethings to try:

1. Play the very last chapter of the first audiobook, and fast foward to the end, but let it play back the next few secs as if it played through the whole book. Does the next audiobook play?

2. After your first audiobook playback (full) and you can’t get the second audiobook to play, try going to voice record, make a recording, than stop (save or don’t save). than procede to  the second audiobook. Does it play now?

3. If after the first audiobook finishes, and you can’t get the second audiobook to play, BUT the FM, or Music playback works, try going back to audiobook and see if it plays.

Sorry to bombard so many questions and possibel tests, just want to narrow down what could be causing the problem. Don’t feel obligated to try them all.

Troubleshooting answers:

1. The player automactically cycles through each chapter in order.

2. I click on the back-arrow to the Music folder (remember that I have yet to listen to a book that’s in the Audiobook folder) and then click on the new book’s title folder and choose chapter one. I hear about five words and then nothing.

3. The last time this happened, I went and tried the radio and it did work.

I’ll try the suggestions that you made, but not until I get closer to the end of my current book. Thank you for the suggestions. 

I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and can no longer garden, knit or cook like I used to. I fill my time with walking and reading as I find most television to be too mindless. I often read a book a day and listen to audiobooks during my public transit commute to work, 45 minutes each way.  I also work near a track so I can go and walk and listen at lunch if I feel the need to get out of the office for a bit.

Hi Audiobookfan,

So I’m going to try and simulate your situation overnight and I’ll get back to you tomorrow.

I uploaded 3 audiobooks using overdrive media console in MTP mode.

I started playback of the first book and will let it run automatically to the end.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to reproduce your issue. 

That is extremely kind of you. Thank you.

Which folder did you transfer them to?  

I transferred them to the audiobook folder, via by advanced with overdrive.

I checked the device today, the first book finished, and I started playback of the second book.  So far it still has sound.

I’m starting to speculate that you may have a defective clip. any chances you can return /exchange it? 

If I find that the problem continues after playing books in the audiobook folder, I’ll send it in for exchange. I haven’t had the opportunity to do that yet. The license has expired on my current book and I don’t want to mess about trying anything until I finish it. If it stops playing, there are 9 people on the waiting list for it and each one gets the book for a two week period. That would be a long time to wait to get it for a second time.

Also, everything in the past has been downloaded with the mode set automatically. The most recent download was done after manually setting the Clip to MTP and placed properly in the audiobook folder.

Everything might work right now, I just have to finish my current book and then I can experiment. Thanks very much for all your help. I’ll keep you posted.  

Success! At least for the moment. Last night I finished playing the book (22 hours) that I had downloaded into Music and immediately went to the first book that I downloaded into the Audiobook folder (6 hours) and it played. The new book continues to play this morning. This is a good thing. I don’t know if the success is do to the MTP formating or the new folder option, but it’s working.

that’s good to hear that its working! hopefully the previous issue does show up again.