New User - Clock Dock - Micro SD Cards

Hi - I recently purchased a Sansa Fuze and I have a couple of questions.  First of all, I know that there are docks out there for it but I was wondering if there are any docks that are also alarm clocks.  I would like one that will act as a power source and not just connect through a line in.  Also, does anyone know if you can use Micro SD cards that have a 16 gb capacity or will only 8 gb and smaller cards be recognized?  Thanks!

You might want to check out the link in this post. It’s to a Timex alarm clock with a dock for the Sansa on Buy.com. I don’t care for it, as you’ll probably be able to tell from my little review in the thread, but it may just be your “cup o’ tea”.

The new 16Gb cards will work fine, however there is another issue that you would probably appreciate knowing about. There is a database limitation in the Fuze limiting recognition to approx. 4120 songs/files. Supposedly this is being worked on, but until it’s resolved, you might as well use the extra real estate to rip at a higher bit-rate and enjoy the higher quality recordings. Or put some movies on it if that’s your bag. :wink:

Thank you for taking time to reply to me.  I appreciate it.  Thanks for telling me about the alarm clock.  I checked out the link that you mentioned.  It didn’t say the model number but I checked at www.bestbuy.com and www.amazon.com and found the Timex TS70.  Was that the model you meant?  It says on Amazon.com that it can be used for a Sansa e200.  I read somewhere on the forums that if it can be used for the e200 it can be used for the Fuze - did I get that right?  You said in your other post that you can’t fall asleep listening to the Sansa using this clock - why is that?

Also, I noticed someone mentioning something about accidentally putting too much on their player and having to reformat it.  Is there some way to make sure that I don’t do that?  I’m using Windows Media Player.

Thanks for telling me about the song recognition limit - I’m glad that you mentioned it.  I would like to try to put on video but I’ve tried and tried to figure that out but I can’t for the life of me figure how.  I’m trying to put something from a music video dvd I have on.  I tried Prisim Video Converter and it told me that, for the resulting file, I had to adjust the frame rate manually.  I didn’t know what to do so I just gave up.  Is there another free program that can easily take what’s on the DVD and make it so it works on the Fuze?

One last question, is there a way to get on an e-mail list to be automatically notified when there is another firmware update that might fix the song recognition issue?

Thanks again for all your help.

For the videos you need Sansa Media Converter, this is a free download on the sansa site. As for the firmwire update there is another free download called the sansa updater. This will automatically search your Fuze and find updates. This is the easiest way to find out about updates I have found. Although there may be a mailing list. Im not sure on that one.

@conversionbox wrote:
As for the firmwire update there is another free download called the sansa updater. This will automatically search your Fuze and find updates. This is the easiest way to find out about updates I have found. Although there may be a mailing list. Im not sure on that one.

The Sansa Updater is nothing but nag-ware. It will search for an update every time you plug in your player and hound you to death if you decide you don’t want to update. Plus it runs in the background all the time, slowing down your computer and hogging resources.

Better just to check here once a month or so. There is an update due out next week, and probably another one will be out in January or first part of February.

There, I just took care of informing you of the next 2 updates, and you didn’t have to sign up for a e-mail spam list and I dodn’t steal any of your computer’s juice. :stuck_out_tongue:

See what a great place this is?

@niagara94 wrote:

You said in your other post that you can’t fall asleep listening to the Sansa using this clock - why is that?

If you scroll down the page that the link points to on Buy.com and read the description, it never mentions the fact that you can wake up or go to sleep listening to the plugged in Sansa, only the radio or alarm.

If this is really a feature, they are doing themselves a dis-service by not mentioning it and even emphasizing it! If I were in the market for one, I would pass it by for a $12 wall charger and a $18 AM/FM clock radio for the same money and I wouldn’t have to worry about slapping the Sansa out of it’s dock on top of the unit when I repeatedly hit the SNOOZE bar in the mornings. :wink:

Thank you for your reply.  I’ve tried to use Sansa Media Converter but when I try to add the files that are on the dvd it tells me that there aren’t any files that match (this is selecting all media files under what kind of files to look for).  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Tapeworm - Thanks for telling me about the comming updates and when to expect them.  I appreciate your help.

I just got this Timex Clock radio.  It will charge and play the Fuze, Connect, and presumably all the Sansa players with their proprietary USB port.  But here are the limitations compared to the e200:

Fuze:

1. FF/REW only skip to next/previous tracks (yes, I was playing a song contained in “Music”, not Podcasts or Audiobooks–it was one of the songs that came with the Fuze).

2. You have to remove the headphones from the player because of the position of the headphone jack on the bottom, something you don’t have to do for the e200 (which will divert sound automatically to the bottom port and thus to the clock radio’s speaker, even when the headphones are plugged in).

Connect:

same limitations as for the Fuze, plus:

1. the player controls on the clock radio and on the remote (Play/Pause, FF, REW, ON/OFF) don’t control the Connect; you have to use the Connect’s controls. 

I’ve only had this for a couple of days, but I can attest that the blue display is too bright.  Maybe that’s the reason for the remote–to move the clock radio far away from bedside. 

Thanks for telling me more about the Timex Clock Radio.  I ordered it too and will see how I like it when it comes in.  Is the alarm on it loud enough?  Is the alarm volume dependant on the volume you set the radio/Fuze at?  Thanks!

But could you answer the nagging question? Can you wake to the Sansa (whatever model) with the alarm or go to sleep lstening to it in ‘sleep’ mode or are those functions limited to the clock’s radio and/or alarm as written in the description?

From Buy.com’s webpage:

Features

• Sleek audio accessory for playing music from Sansa e200 and c200 mp3 players
  • MP3 player dock features an easy-to-read alarm clock with AM/FM radio
  • Charges & Plays Sansa E200 & C200 Series
  • Dual alarm for two individual wake times
  • Wake to AM/FM radio or buzzer
  • Sleep to AM/FM radio with adjustable sleep timer
  • Battery backup maintains clock and alarm settings in case of power failure
  • Full function remote control
  • Aux/MP3 line-in to connect other Sansa players or audio players
  • DST switch for quick, easy Daylight Saving Time adjustment

Nowhere does it mention that the Sansa can be used with the alarm functions. As I said, if it does then they are really selling this thing short and many people would pass it by.

Maybe Howie should mention this to the mucky-mucks at Buy.com if he’s really serious about increasing their sales this holiday season like he says he is on those TV commercials. :smileyvery-happy:

Tapeworm - Those would be nice features but I’m not worried about the answer for me personally.  I won’t use the sleep mode and I wake up to alarm anyways.  I currently have a cd alarm clock that lets you wake up to either the cd/buzzer/radio and I always use the buzzer.  When I fall alseep I always just have it on play - not on sleep function.  It would be interesting to know the answer to your question though.

@tapeworm wrote:

But could you answer the nagging question? Can you wake to the Sansa (whatever model) with the alarm or go to sleep lstening to it in ‘sleep’ mode or are those functions limited to the clock’s radio and/or alarm as written in the description?

• You can’t wake to Sansa, only to buzzer or radio.

• Sleep lets you sleep to radio or Sansa, with a gradual lowering of volume. 

• Buzzer alarm seems pretty weak.  It changes frequency of the beeps, but I didn’t detect much, if any, volume change.  Radio alarm is better, and increases volume.  The radio alarm’s volume may depend on where the volume was last set, I don’t know yet.  

• I also see in the instructions that you can dim the display.  So disregard my previous comment about display being too bright.

• Caveat: maybe the Fuze and Connect don’t go well with the Timex clock radio.  The Timex just froze on me!  Frozen display of time and other things (like that it showed the Sansa as docked even after I removed it).  I had been charging the Sansa Connect.  If it was the fault of the Connect, maybe the Fuze also makes the Timex freeze, I don’t know yet.  To unfreeze, I unplugged and removed the backup batteries.

Again, this clock radio is new to me, time will tell (no pun intended) if this freeze failure was a fluke or related to the Connect or related to the Fuze (though the additional Timex functions that work with the Fuze means that it’s more compatible than the Connect). 

Thanks for more details on the clock.