New Clip has no files but plays - need to set up right

well, the old one was actually dead and revived just long enough to play thru the pc and let me get the playlists copied to my laptop and then it died dead.

got a new one (ebay), plugged it in. it autodetected.  threw on a few files (using windows explorer) and an old playlist  and ran. it worke and there is stuff on it but

when I attached it to my laptop now, there is nothing showing. (winamp shows it empty, windows explorer doesn’t see it.

it is still set to autodetect - not mtp or msc

I wanted to, before selecting the correct one of those (whichever it is) remove the content (so it wouldn’t be inaccessibly taking up space) then set it up right.

I wanted to NOT have stuff get stuck on it I couldn’t remove.

I used to have a Creative Zen Micro - which never talked very well to any system but at least sort of made sense. But it died while I was too broke to replace it and I ended up with this.

So - should it be MTP or MSC?

and

How do I remove the content it currently holds but doesn’t know it has?

I tend to avoid Windows Media Player the way I avoid most things Microsoft, but I do have it and it says… let me see… That it;s a Sansa Clip + but it contains nothing except the original folders it came with: Music, Audiobooks, Podcasts, etc - all of which are empty.

@pamelajaye wrote:

when I attached it to my laptop now, there is nothing showing. (winamp shows it empty, windows explorer doesn’t see it.

it is still set to autodetect - not mtp or msc

This is your problem. Auto Defect can (and will) connect in either mode depending on what computer it is plugged into at the time.

@pamelajaye wrote:

I wanted to, before selecting the correct one of those (whichever it is) remove the content (so it wouldn’t be inaccessibly taking up space) then set it up right.

So - should it be MTP or MSC?

and

How do I remove the content it currently holds but doesn’t know it has?

Well, the original sample songs, videos, etc. are installed at the factory in MTP mode. You should set your player to this and connect in order to see and delete them. The songs you put on may have also been transferred while in this mode too, so if so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If your files aren’t visible, then after you delete the ones in MTP mode, unplug and re-connect in MSC so you can erase those.

As far as which mode to use? That depends on how you intened to use the player. If you like, or use Rhapsody or any other DRM-crippled subscription service, you will have to use MTP. Otherwise, MSC is the way to go.

I’d advise againist using the Auto mode. As you’ve seen, it can cause mass confusion issues.

Thanks

and I run screaming from DRM so that simplifies that :slight_smile:

(I’m still working on converting the Grey’s Anatomy Musical I actually bought, from whatever format it’s in, to something I can play anywhere. I have ONE computer with the lame encoder, and a copy of Gold Wave. Hopefully that will work. MusicMatchJukebox used to be so good at ripping, tagging and renaming but doesn’t seem to want to install anywhere, anymore. Perhaps I can reassemble the old emachine with WinME that I refused to let anyone give away. I *think* it might have usb…)

I had so much trouble making playlists with this thing the last time that I finally made a playlist of all the songs on it and then copy/pasted certain ones into a smaller playlist I had made with Winamp back when I used to know how - making a backup and using GVim for Windows. I was afraid Notepad would put in linebreaks or something that would confuse the player. And of course WinAmp ate my IDV3 tags for lunch with it’s cryptic formatting (maybe it was masking) but that’s a problem for another

day)

Thanks again.