My Ultra 64gb card seems to have died.

I will be sending my card in to a data recovery firm sometime in the next week and will post the results once i get them

I now have a response from a data recovery firm and this what thay discovered

Our lab has completed the evaluation and the card was found to have severe firmware corruption. The memory chip in this card is a monolithic technology which makes recovery highly complex (may be even temporarily unrecoverable).

We will need to do whatever is required to try to get a read from the memory card.  If we regain access to the data, we will do a logical reassembly to try to put the files and directories back together to get them as close as possible to their original state.  At the end of the process, we will provide you with a file list to review so you can approve the completion of work.

The cost of the recovery will be $950 and the estimated time to complete your case is 9 business days. 

there is a company in Vancouver that charges $250 Canadian dollars if the problem is logical and if a physical problem $600-$1000, No data no cost

www.restoringdata.ca

Wow … so many ppl with this problem… and no real solution to recover data…

that’s sad…

@grossalaud wrote:

Wow … so many ppl with this problem… and no real solution to recover data

That’s why professional data recovery services exist in the 1st place. The same thing used to be true when computer hard drives had a high failure rate. The common advice was, “Back-up often, because it’s not a matter of IF your hard drive will fail, but WHEN.”

The same advice is still relevant.

@tapeworm wrote:

@grossalaud wrote:

Wow … so many ppl with this problem… and no real solution to recover data

That’s why professional data recovery services exist in the 1st place. The same thing used to be true when computer hard drives had a high failure rate. The common advice was, “Back-up often, because it’s not a matter of IF your hard drive will fail, but WHEN.”

The same advice is still relevant.

Ok i agree… but in this case we’ll have to change the advice a little bit…:

"Backup every time you save something  to your card "

It failed after only 4 days of use and that’s the problem… ppl use the card for a few hours an then it fails… we can’t back it up every time we use it! that’s nonsense…

I have the same issues.  I have a car camera and keep wondering why one day it says it’s recording, the next it’s not.  I put the 64G Micro SD into my mac and try to erase it.  It says it does, and I can try to trash files too, and I empty the trash.  Then I unmount it and remount it and the files are still there.  So yeah, controller is not working or memory is stuck or whatever.  Regardless, I’m sure a lot of people bought these like I did because they were on sale.  But they’re junk.  I’m switching Micro SD companies and never coming back.  When you don’t test your products, or sell junk that doesn’t work, you lose customers for life.  

1 Like

Second card has now died - Boo

Back it up how?

I was recording video with my camera when it failed, never had a chance to view video never mind backing up!

Bought tthe Sandisk Ultra 64 GB card for a trip I’m now on. in brand new Gopro Hero3 and after two days failed completely. GoPro can’t even read the disc when inserted (says NO SD). I will return card for replacement or refund when back from vacation). Am flabbergasted that so many problems with this product have already been filed. What is SanDisk’s response?

Unfortunately this product is “ultra” inferior.

gopro released a firmware update yesterday. Anyone experiencing these types of issues should probably update their gopro firmware. It may prevent some of these types of issues.

http://gopro.com/support/product-updates-support 

1 Like

Same situation happened to me!

I ordered another card today, but after finding this forum, thinking of cancelling order and purchasing a different brand.

Contacted SanDisk about returning my defective card, see what they will do for me.

The first time my card went defective I was able to reformat. Now my computers wont even recognise I have inserted it. when trying to reformat while it is inside camera both of my computers state Windows cannot format.

Thought about buying 32 GB cards, the forums tell me theese also have similar problems!

Same here with my Tablet (Asus TF300)

My 64GB card stopped working last evening after transfering files from my PC to the card.

Card doesnot work at all anymore, tried with 3 different PC’s (XP & Win7) and my tablet does not see it either ???

Placed a call with Sandisk this morning, no news yet. :frowning:

Same here with my gopro hero 3.  SanDisk I am so disappointed, give me back my money!

Yep My Scandisk ultra micro SDXC 64Gb card died the 2nd time I used it… not at all happy…  just filling up the last of the card, said full then no card… Tried several computers and readers will not even be recognised.  On a once in a lifetime round the world expedition and even thought downloaded all my stuff asap still lost a load of stuff never to be gotten again. Using a GoPro Hero3 funny how they no longer sell these cards!  The Verbatim one from my phone works great in My Hero3 Black so I’d recommend these… sending back for a refund as not fit for purpose.

Just checked the Scandisc compatability checker on this site and still recommending The Ultra and New Extreme’s for the GoPro Hero 3 black but here everyone that’s tried them seems to have problems… 

I bought my gopro 3 black on March 1 with the 64gbs sandisk memory card that gopro recommends. I’ve done the last firmaware update on April 8. Today, 25 of April, It happens to my card. I put the camera recording and she automatically stop recording, for 3 times. I started to get worried with that so I turnt the camera off and on again. and it was there that appears SD ERR on my Gopro. I tryed format the card on the camera and nothing. I turned off the battery a few minutes and card too, and the error still there. Then i went home, run to my computer to try format the card. The files are there and i can play it on windows video player and copy to my pc, but i can not delet them or format the card . it says " windows could not complete the format"…

GOPRO and Sandisk have to assume the problem!!

Hello I would like to know the error corrected because I want to buy takyu Sde tsard.

I’m having a similar issue with my Hero 2 so its not just Hero 3 owners. The camera recorded and will play back videos from the camera but when I insert the card into my SD reader on laptop it shows the folders on card as empty. What’s more puzzling is the icon for the folder shows images but clearly the PC sees nothing in the folders. Irritating to say the least. We all agree the reason we purchased the 64GB card was to record hours of video with out having to switch cards. What’s the deal? I don’t want to keep loosing content, like many I was someplace I will prob never be again on vacation with family. Feeling burned!

I wish I had read thes posts before I ever bought the **bleep**ng 64GB SD card for my GoPro Hero 3 camera. **bleep** You Sandisk!!! Why are you not responding to anyone’s problems regarding this. I am just another very dissatisfied customer who will boycott your products and I will spread the word that your products ■■■■ and you do not reply to customer’s complaints about your products. You need to reimburse myself and all the other people who are angry with you for this.

@kobeejay wrote:

_ Why are you not responding to anyone’s problems regarding this. _

Probably because this is a user’s forum, not an official “Tech Support” or “Customer Service” forum. The only SanDisk employee that frequents this forum with any regularity is the Admin. And he’s also got a full-time job already.

You should avail yourself of the support avenues SanDisk does offer:

http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/