my clip wont come on and wont charge

xXHELPXx

Please connect the Clip to a USB port on Windows XP SP2 or subsequent PC with Windows Media Player version 10 or 11. 

Open My Computer. Do you see the Sansa Clip?

First, let’s see if we can get some signs of life from your Clip.  It’s possible that the device is simpy frozen.

Slide the power switch up into the spring loaded ON position, and HOLD it up for 10-15 seconds.

Release, and try powering up as usual, with a short press in the ON position.  Are we back in business?

Next, if device didn’t respond, slide the power switch down to the HOLD/LOCK position (orange showing).  Press and HOLD the center button down while connecting to a live USB port on your computer.  Continue holding a few seconds until the device is recognized.  The display of the Clip should light, and the “connected” logo should appear.

Once this is established, the battery icon should start rolling, indicating charge.  If it’s currently charging, let the device fully charge.  After unplugging, be sure to turn the LOCK switch back to the center position.  Try your Clip at this point, and see if everything is functional on the device.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 06-07-2008 07:01 AM

I just had this problem where my Clip froze up on me.  I looked in the manual under trouble shooting, nothing.  After I found this posting I looked through every page and found the reset instructions on page 1 of basic usage.

Thanks Neutron_bob, mine is working again.

Thank you, Thank you!  My sansa clip suddenly didn’t respond when I plugged it into my computer and then wouldn’t turn on at all, but the first suggestion got it going again.  Thanks so much =)  I was going to start panicking!

/ali

K i kinda have the same problem but here’s the twist: ill plug the Clip into a usb and the connected screens comes up. ill let it charge overnight and plug it out and it wont come on. plz help!!! btw ive tried the 10-15 sec reset thing

hi im having a similar problem… my player has run out of juice by the looks of it. i can turn it on briefly. long enough for it to say sandisk, and then say battery low. then it turns off…

then if i try to plug it into the usb in that window of the unit being on. it turns off instantly.

also the unit if left plugged into the computer, will do nothing but heat up and get physically warm.

please help, this is the replacement unit ive gotten, and the exact same thing happened to the other one.

im pretty disappointed. i thought the replacement would be sweet…

thanks

Leary 

We just bought one and it will turn on but it will not charge.  Have had it plugged into the USB port all day and the battery is still almost dead.  Also when we rec’d our package we had an insert that stated we are supposed to have a 30 day free trial to Rhapsody Music.  It tells us to insert our installation disk but we didn’t get an installation disk.  Please HELP.  I’ve heard from SEVERAL folks that these types of devises are SO easy to use.  Not for us.  Big headache!!!

I recently bought (from an Amazon store) a kit with the silicone case and wall and car chargers, because I want to be able to charge it anywhere even when I’m not near a computer.  I just tried the wall charger this weekend, left it plugged for half an hour, and when I checked on it, the clip was very warm.  That’s never happened before when I am charging via the USB port.  Now the clip won’t come on at all.   I e-mailed the company and they told me to find “that little pin hole and poke at it with a paper clip and it would reset”.  I looked all over and there’s no such thing.  The only reset that’s mentioned in the manual is pushing the power button up and holding it for 15 seconds.  Did this wall charger fry my clip?

Message Edited by lyeung on 06-16-2008 09:58 PM

lyeung:

There are a lot of chargers out there. Some might damage your Clip.

What make and model is the wall charger?

Did you use your USB cable to plug into the wall charger?

Message Edited by Tweet on 06-16-2008 10:22 PM

Tweet,

The charger does not have a name or brand on it, but the description on the online store says “Sandisk Sansa Clip 1gb 2gb Premium Silicon Skin Case cover bundled with 12v rapid premium car charge and home travel wall AC adapter charger - 6 co”.  A label on the plug says Power Supply - Input 100-240V AC Output: 5V DC 700 MA.  And no, I do not have to use my USB cable.  Oh, on the part that I plug into the clip, there’s a label that says “zvp”.  Does that mean anything?

Lyeung

I am not positive, but I am suspicious.

Next time look for “Made for Sansa” when you buy accessories thet connect to your player electronically. 

@lyeung wrote:

Tweet,

The charger does not have a name or brand on it, but the description on the online store says “Sandisk Sansa Clip 1gb 2gb Premium Silicon Skin Case cover bundled with 12v rapid premium car charge and home travel wall AC adapter charger - 6 co”.  A label on the plug says Power Supply - Input 100-240V AC Output: 5V DC 700 MA.  And no, I do not have to use my USB cable.  Oh, on the part that I plug into the clip, there’s a label that says “zvp”.  Does that mean anything?

Lyeung

Those specs are fine for the Clip.  But there always can be a quality issues with “generic”-type chargers.

No hokey pokey either!!!

Don’t try to “reset” your device by poking a paperclip into assorted orifices, as some cretin suggested.  The only hole visible on a Clip would be the microphone port.  It wasn’t designed for poking.

The Clip reset function is a simple matter of holding the spring-loaded power switch in the ON position for 10 seconds.

PLease try this reset on your non-functioning Clip, then try powering up as usual.

I’ve tried the reset several times, and it hasn’t worked.  I’m calling the online store again today, and see what they have to say.  They’re highly rated on Amazon, but it concerns me that they don’t know the parts of the Clip.  Thanks Neutron Bob and Tweet.

You’re welcome!  For a new device that’s inoperative, it’s usually simplest to get a replacement from the vendor, as most have a 30-day return policy.  Beyond that initial period, you can go through SanDisk directly via a return merchandise authorization, under the 1-year warranty.

In either case, sorry to hear your Clip is misbehaving.  Microelectronics have the nasty habit of passing QC, only to fail once it’s in your hand, “in the wild”.  Don’t worry, though, as SanDisk stands behind these wee beasties!

Don’t forget to register your device by clicking the SanDisk logo in the upper left, or “register device” in the Sansa Updater window, if that’s installed.

I have tried all of these with success. Still isn’t recognized as USB connection, no power- just dead.

Any more ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I have tried all of these with NO success. Still isn’t recognized as USB connection, no power- just dead.

Any more ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sorry for the error

Bob I want to thank you so much. I was so upset thinking my clip was broken and I don’t have any money to replace it. You have made my night., thank you thank you thank you.

Allison

neutron_bob Sansa Guru indeed!

thankyou

my device was ‘simpy frozen’ and your method to get some signs of life from it worked

thanks again

~J