my clip freezes

As soon as i switch on my sansa clip it comes to the welcome screen and freezes. can some one help me out. my clip is not more than few months old… please advice… thanks in advance.

Force your Clip into MSC mode (move switch to “Hold” position, held down center button while connecting Clip to your computer), then reformat the Clip using Windows Explorer.

Make sure your Clip has the latest firmware version.

when i connect my device to the computer, there is no response anywhere. How do i know that it is in MSC mode? can u please explain in detail? thanks a lot.

@tanusree_ray wrote:
when i connect my device to the computer, there is no response anywhere. How do i know that it is in MSC mode? can u please explain in detail? thanks a lot.

There is a menu option that tells you whether your Clip is in MSC or MTP mode, but because your Clip freezes at the welcome screen, you won’t be able to go to that menu until you fix the problem.

Did you follow my advice on how to force the Clip into MSC mode while connecting it to your computer?  And you still didn’t get a response?  Your Clip doesn’t show up under “My Computer”?

i tried it but does not show on my computer. wot do i do?

Make sure that you are doing it correctly: the on/hold switch has to be in the HOLD position, and you have to be holding down the center button while plugging your Clip into your computer via USB.

If it’s really not working, try it on other computers (friends’ etc.).

If that fails, you must have a faulty unit.

Do I have to switch the device on and than connect to usb? or do i just put it in locked position ( the left hand side switch down) and hold the center button and connect simultaneously?

thanks

I’m temporarily without my Clip so I can’t test it, but I’m pretty sure this is the sequence:

1. Turn the Clip on.

2. Move the switch to the hold position.

3. Hold down the center button, and keep it held down while connecting the Clip to your computer.

i think i will chek it out in another computer and get back. thanks.

You want to start out with the Clip OFF.

Lock the hold switch,  and press and hold the center button.

Connect to the pc,  continue holding till it connects.

@sansafix wrote:

You want to start out with the Clip OFF.

Oops, my bad, thanks sansafix.  I will not post to the Sansa Clip forum any longer until I get my Clip.  :wink:

how long do i have to hold the center button? it does not work… :frowning:

It doesn’t show up under “My Computer”?

It’s best in this situation to start a Windows Explorer window first (My Computer).  With the window open, you will be able to see when the Clip is recognized by the computer.

Let’s start with the Clip.  First, let’s try a soft reset of the device to see if this solves our problem.  It’s possible that a recent file transferred to the Clip is making it freeze up.  If your problem happens when trying to play a particular song, or group of songs, one of them may be messed up.

Slide the switch to the ON position, and hold it there in the spring-loaded position for 10-15 seconds.  Release the switch, and try to run the Clip once by turning it on.  It’s possible that all is well after this simple reset.

If it still freezes, now we’ll make use of that open Windows Explorer window.  Turn OFF the Clip.  Slide the Clip’s power switch down to the HOLD / LOCK position.  You’ll see an orange area showing.  Now, with the switch in this position and the Clip OFF, hold the center button down while connecting to the USB port.

Keep the button held until the Explorer Window shows your Clip.  Once it shows up, release the button.  This should take under 30 seconds at the most.

Right Click on the Clip and select Format from the PC.  This will clear the music, and the bad file(s), from the data area of the Clip.

Right click on the Clip when this is done and select Eject.  Once you unplug, the Clip will be operational again.  Be sure to slide the power switch back to the middle position again. Give it a try.  The format operation will clear the music from your device, but we want to see if it runs through the menus normally, and give the FM a try.

At this point, plug in again and load it up with music!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 10-02-2008 06:55 AM

(Keep the button held until the Explorer Window shows your Clip.  Once it shows up, release the button.  This should take under 30 seconds at the most.)

At this point the clip does not show up in windows explorer (my computer) even if i hold it for 1 minute. I have tried it several times but to no sucess.

i still have to try in a friend’s computer.

Try a different port, or with the device still plugged in, go next to the Device Manager and see if the Clip shows with the yellow triangle of doom.

Uninstall the device (DON’T “disable” it, as this just aborts the process!), unplug, and reboot the PC.

Upon restart, plug in the Clip as usual, or just as above in MSC mode, and it should trigger Windows, familiar “New Device Found” mask.

Let us know if “nudging windows with a stick” worked for you.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

how do i uninstall the device??? :cry:

Well, i seem to be having the same problem now.

I can’t get into recovery mode, freezes on welcome screen, or it might go blank after awhile.

I get something else though, i don’t know what it is. Power on, switch to hold, hold center, pop in usb.