Music is gone!

Well, I’ve had my clip (2g) for a couple of weeks now…my puppy chewed up my last player…and I’ve been very happy w/it…until today.  I added a few songs before I headed out to the Y and when I got there…nothing would play.  The songs showed up, but would not play.  I settled for the radio (which is working very well) and then came home to hook it up to the computer to see if I could figure it out.  When I did, the computer said there was no music on the clip…I unplugged it form computer, turned it on, and sure enough, the player also said there was no music!  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???  Any thoughts or ideas would be great…this seems very weird to me!  I am in the process of loaded everything back on and giving it another shot…but if this happens again, this thing is going back!

Message Edited by slapnuts on 11-28-2008 11:52 AM

Did you fill it up completely?  Sometimes when you fill a device to its maximum capacity, wierd things like this start to happen.  Kind of like when you fill up a hard drive and it tears up your programs and starts to bleed files, and can often corrupt the filesystem.  Reset and then format the player first, then load it back up in MSC mode, just make sure to leave at least a few MB free.  That should prevent the problem from happening again, but let us know if you try that and the same thing happens.

Is it in MSC mode? For some odd reason whenever I connect my Clip in MSC mode the ‘Music’ folder shows as empty! Why is this? I need MSC mode to edit some iD3 tags but can’t in MTP mode!

@ackers wrote:
Is it in MSC mode? For some odd reason whenever I connect my Clip in MSC mode the ‘Music’ folder shows as empty! Why is this? I need MSC mode to edit some iD3 tags but can’t in MTP mode!

If you put the music on in MTP mode, your computer will not be able to see it while your player is connected in MSC mode. I would use MP3Tag (or other tagging software) to edit your tags on your computer, then re-transfer them to your player.

slapnuts wrote: 
. . . then came home to hook it up to the computer to see if I could figure it out.  When I did, the computer said there was no music on the clip…I unplugged it form computer, turned it on, and sure enough, the player also said there was no music!  WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???  Any thoughts or ideas would be great…

Just a thought . . . are you using Windows Media Player and maybe it is set to ‘Auto-Sync’? WMP has some real ‘control issues’. It likes to control everything! Set it to ‘Manual-Sync’ at the very least. Better yet, unless you HAVE to use MTP mode & WMP because of DRM encoding or Rhapsody; I’d suggest switching to MSC mode and just dragging & dropping. This way YOU have the control of goes on (& off) your player.

You couldn’t pay me to use MTP & WMP ‘syncing’ anymore for this very reason.

I reset and formated the clip, just got done reloading everything…I did use WMP, but don’t think i was close to being full…I’ll see if it happens again, I’ll post back on how things are going…thanks for suggestions!!!

I have both my Clip and Fuze set to MSC mode…but you can still sync with WMP 11…although I do mostly D&D. But as Tapeworm said, make sure the Auto-sync option is off, as it can un-do all that you did the last time you sync’d…that happened to me once, and it made me :angry: lol

@tapeworm wrote:

@ackers wrote:

If you put the music on in MTP mode, your computer will not be able to see it while your player is connected in MSC mode. I would use MP3Tag (or other tagging software) to edit your tags on your computer, then re-transfer them to your player.

Yeah I figured I’d have to replace all the mp3’s on my Clip. That’ll take a while to transfer over (2gb of 250+ files). So if I put the mp3’s on my Clip in MSC mode can I view them in MTP mode as well? If not then I guess I’ll just have to get used to using MSC from now on…