mtp code 10 / problem with install

About 6 months ago I bought an M250 for my mother and father  2gig version 4.1.08a. My dads still works how ever my moms stoped comunicating with my pc. At first I figured my pc was messing up, tried it on my laptop, no go… same error " windows has encountered an error while installing driver … ect ect"  I tried different mtps  by running different versions of windows media player and even a couple mtp hot fixes for windows media player. It will connect under the msc setting however I can not remove the songs that are currently on it. I tried the firmware update, however it comes up with  connection error,  reconnected, connection error, reconnected, failed.

My other attemp- Went into my device manager uninstalled the mtp and manualy installed the sansa m250 as a usb  mass storage, which gave me a code 10 which I think is a low power error.

My pc is windows xp sp1 windows media player 10   amd x2 6000+ 2 gig ram

My laptop is windows xp pro sp2 with windows media player 11 amd tk-53 with 2 gig ram

Eclipse,

I’m having the same issue with an m250 that a friend sent to me after loading some music on it, apparently while in MTP mode (see my entry under user Griswold dated 6/14/08).  I loaded some music from my computer in MSC mode, which created a “Music” folder in the m250 file, which I could access.

I tried every suggestion I could find on this forum, and nothing worked, so I finally contacted SanDisk support.

I’m still working through it with them, but following is the text of their first reply, with some things you can try. 

You are correct, though.  They do mention that if you’re getting the yellow “!” warning on the device through the Device Manager, it’s an indication of low power, although I don’t quite understand the why there would be difference in power requirement between MTP and MSC modes. 

I need one anyway, but I’m on my way out now to look at a powered USB hub. 

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support. It is our goal to make sure you have all the resources you need to get the most from your product.

We understand that you are having difficulty trying to use your player as it is not recognized in MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) mode.

Please be informed that SanDisk Sansa m200 Series MP3 Players are only supported on Windows XP (Home and Professional Edition) and Windows Media Player (WMP) versions 10 and 11. They may or may not work with other Operating Systems and versions of WMP but we do not recommend as they are not supported. They should also work with Windows Vista.

Before we do any troubleshooting procedures, please answer the following questions so that we may better understand the issue.

• What is the Operating System running in your computer?
  • What is the brand, make and model of your computer? Is it a desktop or a laptop?
  • What port did you try, the back or the front port?
  • Have you tried it with another computer? What is the result?
  • What is the exact error code or message?
  • Is it recognized? If not, have you checked the Device Manager or Disk Management?
  • Have you tried to format or download the latest Firmware update or driver?
  • What is the version of your Windows Media Player (WMP)?
  • What have you done so far to resolve the issue?

We would need to check the presence of the device on the “Device Manager.” In order for us to do so, do the following:

1. Right click on “My Computer.”
  2. Choose “Manage.”
  3. On the “Computer Management” screen, choose “Device Manager.”

Note: On the right portion of the Window, check whether there are error signals. These signals may appear as “!,” “?,” or as “X.” The “!” might indicate that your device is not receiving enough power. The “?” might signify that your device has been assigned the wrong drivers or has been encountering some driver conflict. And an “X” would signify that the device might be broken or you have a bad connection.

1. Click on the plus “+” sign beside “Disk Drives” and check if your SanDisk product is showing.
  2. Click on the plus “+” sign beside “USB Controllers” and inform us if you see a “USB Mass Storage Device.”
  3. If none of those signs or errors are showing, we would suggest that you plug the device on another computer system that is running Windows XP.

If you are receiving an “!” when you open “Device Manager,” you are plugging the device on the front USB port, we strongly recommend that you plug it on the rear USB port. The ports on the rear give off a much greater supply of power than those located on the front. If the problem persists or if you are using a laptop computer, then, we suggest that you try using a USB self-powered hub. You may also want to try another computer to see if your system is the one responsible.

If you are receiving an “?” when you open “Device Manager,” this might also be true if you are receiving the error message "USB not recognize for your device. In order for you to do so, we would suggest the following:

1. Right click on “My Computer” and choose “Manage.”
  2. On the “Computer Management” screen, go to “Device Manager” and click the plus (+) sign beside “Disk Drives.”
  3. Right click on the SanDisk entry and choose “Uninstall.”
  4. If this fails, click the plus (+) sign beside “USB Controllers.”
  5. Right click on the “USB Mass Storage Device” entry and choose “Uninstall.”
  6. After doing this, unplug and plug the device back to re-assign the drivers and re-install it on the system.

Let us try to manually install the player and let us see if this will help.

Let’s open “Control Panel” then choose “Add Hardware”. Tell the wizard that you have already connected the hardware. In the list, choose “Add a new hardware device” at the bottom. Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list.” Choose “Portable Devices”, then MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device.

Should the above steps fix or not fix the issue, please do not hesitate to let us know by sending an Email. We would be glad to be of assistance to you.

Your posting with the attached email is what got me to try the device manager and try to manually install the usb mass storage.  It seriously confounds me, tried several different usb ports, 1.0 and 2.* ports. I have been fighting with this for the last 4 hours. Being an IT it drives me up the wall not knowing how to fix it…  its probably something obvious or something that cant be fixed. I noticed in a couple pictures that there is a battery on the little circuit board,  if I dont get any replies or ideas in the next couple days, I will open up the little guy and remove the battery for an hour or so, hopefully it will reset everything and clear its memory. 

Well, Im sorry it didn’t work any better for you than it did for me.

I might try the battery that you mention, although their text says it’s soldered in, and only serves to keep the clock running. I’d almost think of trying it myself, but if it clears the memory, I’m sunk.  My friend just about filled it with music before he sent it to me, and I’d lose all of it, although I suppose I could get it again if I had to.

I thought of reformatting the drive, but again, I’ll lose all the music, but I’m going to wait and see what tech support comes back with.  Have you tried reformatting?

Didn’t see any USB hubs I liked at the store, so I guess I’ll order one from Amazon. 

I highly dought that a usb hub would help the issue. It has to be something with the mp3 player itself, since my dads still works *same usb cable, same computers, same ports*. I just tried coping everything from my dads m250 under the msc to my mothers under msc just to see if by pure dumb luck it would work. Nope, but I did notice that my dads music was under “music” with msc usb enable on the m250. Find it kinda odd that my mothers m250 doesnt show that. Maybe you can grab your music under there, not sure. I will format my moms m250 under msc usb setting.

----- 20 min later —

Well after the format…   it did erase everything including the files I copied over from my dads m250,  but they came back,  so they where not the os files. It even erased the music that I could not access. It didnt fix the MTP error, but I did creat a folder called music under msc usb setting and uploaded a song,   the device sees it and plays it.  It works but not the same way it use too.

Steps I took.

on the m250 press menu and go to Settings   then to USB   after that set it to MSC
after setting it to MSC plug it into the pc, should pop up under my computer,  right click on it  “please make sure u right click on the correct device”  mine says sansa m250 under my computer. Click on format,  and click on ok.  ALL data will be lost. At least all hidden music is gone too, which is a good thing for me.  Now double click on the sansa m250 and right click, creat folder,  name it music,  then dump your music into that folder.  

Not exactly a perfect fix,  but at least I didnt have to throw this mp3 player into the dumpster.

Message Edited by eclipse27 on 06-21-2008 11:37 PM

Well after the format…   it did erase everything including the files I copied over from my dads m250,  but they came back,  so they where not the os files. It even erased the music that I could not access. It didnt fix the MTP error, but I did creat a folder called music under msc usb setting and uploaded a song,   the device sees it and plays it.  It works but not the same way it use too.

Steps I took.

on the m250 press menu and go to Settings   then to USB   after that set it to MSC
after setting it to MSC plug it into the pc, should pop up under my computer,  right click on it  “please make sure u right click on the correct device”  mine says sansa m250 under my computer. Click on format,  and click on ok.  ALL data will be lost. At least all hidden music is gone too, which is a good thing for me.  Now double click on the sansa m250 and right click, creat folder,  name it music,  then dump your music into that folder.  

Not exactly a perfect fix,  but at least I didnt have to throw this mp3 player into the dumpster.

I need a hub for my growing list of USB-powered peripherals, anyway, and SanDisk indicated possibly a power issue, although I can’t see how that would make a difference reading in different modes, so I thought I’d try it.

Some of the similar situations I read about on the forum resulted in SanDisk taking the unit back as defective, which is what I suspect, as the unit also returns to being “on” after I unplug if from the computer.

I was successful in adding files in MSC mode, but still couldn’t access those that my friend added in MTP mode. 

Still waiting to hear back from SanDisk before I try reformatting. I’m trying to avoid doing that as I’d have to recoup the nearly 2GB of music from my friend from across the country.  Not the end of the world, but I’d like to avoid it if I could.

Eclipse,

I heard back from SanDisk, and they insist that the code 10 I’m getting in MTP mode is a USB power issue.  I’m not sure why the mode would affect the power, but I suppose anything’s possible.

Will try it with the powered hub as soon as I get it, and let you know what happens.

I’d be curious to know if you come up with a solution.

here is a good link that give info on what MTP is / vrs MSC ,  pretty much MTP is just a way for media sources to control the content threw license agreements.

and here is wikipedias view on usb and msc  along with some power info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal\_Serial\_Bus

and yet still  why does one m250  require extra power and the other m250 doesnt,  same version, bought both at same time, same store…  why would one work for 6 months without an exteral usb hub and then stop working under mtp,  yet the other one keep working…  I dont have the manual any more,  but im curious as too what it says.   I dont want to say what I personal think about this device at the moment till after I get more info,   if I say anything now I might end up eating my own opinions.  

Thanks for the links.  I did read a bit about MTP and learned it was mostly used with music subscription services.

I think, no, I know, SanDisk is saying the power issue is in the output of the USB port, and in my case, pointing to the fact that it worked on my friend’s computer when he loaded the music.  They recommended I try another computer as a test.

It doesn’t make sense to me why it would require more power in one mode than in another, and as you say, in your case why two different units have different results on the same computer. 

I found that the manual was very light on the details, but here are a couple links to the where you can download it:

http://www.devicemanuals.com/guide/Cameras%20and%20MP3%20Player/SanDisk/SanDisk-Sansa®-m250-Digital-Audio-Player-2GB-SDMX3-TlRrNE9EST.html 

Hi San,

My Fuze can not be recognized by my Dell Latitude D830, Windows XP Pro, 2.25Ghtz, service pack 3.

I have also installed the Media Transfer Protocol and folowed the steps for manual install via “Add Hardware” as written by Sandisk in the forum

in text below. PLEASE HELP!!!

. Right click on “My Computer” and choose “Manage.”
2. On the “Computer Management” screen, go to “Device Manager” and click the plus (+) sign beside “Disk Drives.”
3. Right click on the SanDisk entry and choose “Uninstall.”
4. If this fails, click the plus (+) sign beside “USB Controllers.”
5. Right click on the “USB Mass Storage Device” entry and choose “Uninstall.”
6. After doing this, unplug and plug the device back to re-assign the drivers and re-install it on the system.

Let us try to manually install the player and let us see if this will help.

Let’s open “Control Panel” then choose “Add Hardware”. Tell the wizard that you have already connected the hardware. In the list, choose “Add a new hardware device” at the bottom. Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list.” Choose “Portable Devices”, then MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device.

Should the above steps fix or not fix the issue, please do not hesitate to let us know by sending an Email. We would be glad to be of assistance to you.