mp3Gain vs. clipping

hey all,

question on mp3gain related to my clip playback experience. i’m using the software right now to bring some tracks up to the reference range of 89 dB (spl) and was suprised to see a great many of my tracks are actually above 89 dB (spl) and thus may or may not already have clipping…usually at the gym I blast this mp3 player at almost full volume, particularly for files that are already below 89.

which range does the clip soundboard begin clipping (or is this a universal thing not really impacted by the hardware of the clip per se)?

2nd, how does the increase or decrease of this reference affect the battery life of the clip (e.g. does it require more voltage to play higher gain track?)

3rd, how does the increade or decrease of this reference (89db) affect clipping of the track relative to my clip sound volume. for instance, if I had a track with a 95db value and I listen to it at full blast and I increased to 100db, would it sound identical to 95db value at a lower clip volume level?

thanks in advance.

Message Edited by hakujin on 11-07-2008 07:49 AM

When the Clip is clipping? (sounds funny)

Attach resistor to Clip output (about the same value as your headphones impedance is) then hook it to the oscilloscope and play sine wave (1 kHz) and then observe when sine wave became distorted.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

‘’…usually at the gym I blast this mp3 player at almost full volume, particularly for files that are already below 89.’’

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Your headphones must have very low sensitivity, or you are already hard of hearing.

lacking the equipment. I was hoping this was already in some specification sheet somebody was privy to.