Media refresh endlessly stalls and restarts with no way out.

Holding the power button can turn the player off, but the cycle starts again when I turn it back on.  Plugging it into my computer makes it restart and hang at the logo screen, and my computer doesn’t recognize it, even as a storage device.  I have nothing in the expansion slot.

I’m guessing that there’s some kind of corrupted file that’s causing the media refresh to fail when read, but without a way to access the player through my computer, and with the player itself unusable, I have no idea of how I’m supposed to fix it.  At this point, as much as I hate the idea, I might have to throw in the towel and buy a new player.

I’m at a complete dead end here.  If anyone on this forum can help, please do!

You might try leaving it alone and let it run the battery down until it shuts off for good. Then plug it into your computer and see if it will make a data connection so you can format it and start over.

@tapeworm wrote:

You might try leaving it alone and let it run the battery down until it shuts off for good. Then plug it into your computer and see if it will make a data connection so you can format it and start over.

Thanks; I’ll give that a try right now.  The constant display and processing load should make this relatively quick.

No dice.  It stops turning itself on when the battery gets too low and gives the usual warning message, and it behaves just as it did before when I plug it into my computer.

At this point, I think I’ll just buy a replacement.  They’re going for $35 on Amazon, so it’s not too much trouble.

By any chance have you tries a “formal” har reset?  Hold the power button down for 30 seconds or more, and then power up again.  

There are refurbs on Ebay for about $20, too. Obviously check the feedback of the seller, but I’ve gotten a couple from sites with thousands of feedbacks, and they’re fine. 

But do try the hard reset first, as above. Also try holding the power button down while you connect the USB. 

And if all else fails–a (gentle) tap of the unit  against a table might help.

Dealfisher.com also has had great deals on refurb Clips (altho they seem sold out right now).