Maximum volume glitch with Fuze 16gb - still an issue?

Have just got an 8GB Sansa Fuze from Play :slight_smile: Apparently, this was a new batch released mid-February (inc a 4GB card, on top of the 8GB).

After buying, though, I noticed that some people had had problems with the volume randomly setting itself to max for a few seconds. I don’t know what this would do to my ears or phones, or if this would be enough to damage my speakers when listening through my hifi, but I don’t think I want to find out…

Anyone know if this is still an issue with this player? And how widespread? Play say it doesn’t seem to have come up with the new batch… Thanks.

I haven’t managed to replicate it with my sample devices here, and I’ve been trying evertyhing in the book to trip the device.  Yes, I’m a glutton for punishment.  I’ve tried to catch the devices by giving them key commands while files are being loaded, double clicks, thumbwheel and click combinations…

Note that in the forum here, folks don’t post very often with, “Hey, nothing at all wrong with my Fuze!” so we see a skewed sample of the population.

I just had a thought.  If your Fuze is indeed connected to a stereo system, are you using the 30 pin dock connection?  When docked, the audio output level is fixed to maximum.  The volume is already “at the peg”.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

I haven’t managed to replicate it with my sample devices here, and I’ve been trying evertyhing in the book to trip the device.  Yes, I’m a glutton for punishment.  I’ve tried to catch the devices by giving them key commands while files are being loaded, double clicks, thumbwheel and click combinations…

Note that in the forum here, folks don’t post very often with, “Hey, nothing at all wrong with my Fuze!” so we see a skewed sample of the population.

I just had a thought.  If your Fuze is indeed connected to a stereo system, are you using the 30 pin dock connection?  When docked, the audio output level is fixed to maximum.  The volume is already “at the peg”.

Same here…I use my Fuze at least a couple hours a day, when I’m here in front of the computer, and it still has not happened to me. I hope it doesn’t :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, just a footnote:  I have been using the FiiO to boost the output a bit, using the Fuze in “portable” (everything on battery power) mode.  Now I have “11” on my volume control.  Listening to some jazz and classical, with lower volume on the recordings, it’s great.  I just realized that I had the opposite problem.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Hey, just a footnote:  I have been using the FiiO to boost the output a bit, using the Fuze in “portable” (everything on battery power) mode.  Now I have “11” on my volume control.  Listening to some jazz and classical, with lower volume on the recordings, it’s great.  I just realized that I had the opposite problem.

Better the recordings be that way, as opposed to the newer “loudness war” popular releases where the mixes are cranked to 11 to start with :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I just listened to “Kind of Blue” last night…great to hear an old school mix now and again…and that album is WAY older than me:wink:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 03-07-2009 10:36 AM

Thanks - I got nervous when I saw a few people posting about this, but worth noting that you seldom get forum posts about how ‘this odd glitch does not happen to me’.

Think I’ll give ita try with less sensitive earphones, and see if I trigger it at all (Play have said they’ll take it back if this is an issue). And hopefully not trash anything in the meantime…

Hadn’t bothered with docks etc. previously (the headphone output on my previous sansa sounded fine into the hifi tbh). If anyone knows if any cheap-ish docking cables are available in the UK that would be handy…

@marvin_martian wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Same here…I use my Fuze at least a couple hours a day, when I’m here in front of the computer, and it still has not happened to me. I hope it doesn’t :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 2 fuzes and use them constantly…one is sitting on my bedside table and I listen to it every night before I go to sleep; the other is with me wherever I go…and I’ve also never had a problem with the volume control…EVER…:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Better the recordings be that way, as opposed to the newer “loudness war” popular releases where the mixes are cranked to 11 to start with :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I just listened to “Kind of Blue” last night…great to hear an old school mix now and again… and that album is WAY older than me :wink:

Boy, you really know how to hurt a guy…

I’m a couple of years older than that release…:dizzy_face:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Edit: I just listened to “Kind of Blue” last night…great to hear an old school mix now and again… and that album is WAY older than me :wink:

Boy, you really know how to hurt a guy…

I’m a couple of years older than that release…:dizzy_face:

Judging from your music selections, you’re clearly young at heart :smiley:

Just my (short) experience with the Fuze, I have had no problems with the volume jumping, while using it by itself. 

When hooked to the integrated amp at work via 3.5mm->RCA, it’s already at max (normal, not high)

And now that I have my little CMoy back, it’s max then too, so the issue won’t bother me.

<Quoting Marvin_Martian: Judging from your music selections, you’re clearly young at heart>

________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, I try…

I don’t find my tastes “softening” too much over the years; and there is plenty of new stuff that I truly love…