Looking for help

I got the Sansa Fuze-mp3 player-4-gigabyte (with the charging stand and connecting to my home stereo) as a present last Christmas. Recently I lost the player.

I’m considering buying a new player but I had one complaint with the Fuse. I’ve had other mp3 players in the past, but not one with proprietary software. My preferred way of using the player is to make my own folders and drag and drop songs into these homemade folders.

My Question: Is there another model of Sansa mp3 that can be used without the proprietary software or syncing with a music program, but can still be plugged into the charging stand?

Kelly

@coquihalla wrote:

I got the Sansa Fuze-mp3 player-4-gigabyte (with the charging stand and connecting to my home stereo) as a present last Christmas. Recently I lost the player.

I’m considering buying a new player but I had one complaint with the Fuse. I’ve had other mp3 players in the past, but not one with proprietary software. My preferred way of using the player is to make my own folders and drag and drop songs into these homemade folders.

My Question: Is there another model of Sansa mp3 that can be used without the proprietary software or syncing with a music program, but can still be plugged into the charging stand?

Kelly

The Most recent firmware allows for folder navigation which means you make the folders and then copy and paste them on the Fuze. If you plan to add video or photos you will still need Sansa media Converter but if you are just going to play music (As long as it is one of the supported file types) the Fuze will play it from the folders you make. 

The latest build of the Fuze firmware supports folder navigation.

As long as the Fuze sees data on the USB bus, it is addressable from the computer only, for transfers, or even to stream files from the player.

When in a dock, the line out is enabled, and control / navigation is possible from the player directly.  With the Griffin dock, for example, if it’s powered by an AC adaptor, you can connect to your stereo via the line out connection on the dock.

µsansa

The fuze does support drag and drop. You only need the media converter for video files. MP3s are easily dragged and dropped including folders, folders with subfolders and the like.  Easiest in USB MSC mode

Message Edited by timn on 05-20-2009 10:38 AM

I am in MSC mode and I did a drag and drop of various music folders. i dropped them in the “MUSIC” folder, but i do not see my folders anywhere. My music was redistributed by the sansa fuze into various categories. I have firmware version V02.01.09A. How do I get to see my created folders?

Scroll down past Artists, Albums, etc. onto a second page and you will see Folders.

The Artists, Albums, etc. are not folders but lists are built from the mp3 tags. Your actual folders are still where you put them.

I don’t see folders on the second page when i scroll down. I see “Genres”, “My top rated”, “playlists”,…, and finally “recordings”. I am in MSC mode and I have firmware V02.02.09A

I found the answer myself: I updated to the latest firmware and it allows folders to be used. The version I bought it with with (recent purchase) did not support folders.

@kleinj wrote:

I don’t see folders on the second page when i scroll down. I see “Genres”, “My top rated”, “playlists”,…, and finally “recordings”. I am in MSC mode and I have firmware V02.02.09A

That’s why. You have really old firmware. Folder navigation was added to the Fuze in a firmware update.

You can update it here.

Don’t bother with the Updater. There won’t be any more updates, so you don’t need the Updater on your computer. 

Just cick on the All Regions link for the 2.x firmware, download the zip file, unzip it on your desktop. Take fuzeA.bin and drop it onto the Sansa Fuze drive in Windows Explorer. Disconnect and it will update.