Listening to audiobooks

Is there a way on this unit to have it remember where you stopped listening and have it continue from that point when you start up again?

The latest firmware has automatic bookmarking on any file (books) that you have copied into the “audiobook” folder. It used to be (I believe) that only books from Audible were addressed with the audiobook tag, but this latest firmware is great for audiobook users.  Either way, when you return to the audiobook folder and select a book/file, it will now ask you to “resume playback” or to “restart from the beginning”…so hit resume and away you go.

The only issue will come into play when you have several files for the breakdown of the book (sections, chapters, etc). You will have to recall which part of it you were on when you stopped, as they will all get bookmarked…kinda a pain. You may want to merge the various sections/chapters into one whole book mp3 file…ah heck, why am I retyping all of this?..ha!

Gonna paste some of what I just typed for another thread here, som eof it is repeat of what I just typed, some of it answers what you ask and some of it you may also find useful, as I have with my audiobooks…so here goes:

I’ll add what seems to be my fave bit of advice (forwarded by some very helpful users here on the forums, BTW):

For audiobooks, you may find it helpful to merge the (typical) numerous individual mp3 files into one huge “whole-book-in-one” mp3 file (or at least a couple/few if one is too big for your tastes).

I did this when I found that the automatic bookmarking feature (in the latest firmware update) still caused me to recall which individual file (section) of the whole book I was listening to before I stopped/powered-down.

If that makes sense…hehe…just remember that there are very simple and very easy programs that can merge several mp3 files to do what I described above. I am currently using mp3merger, again, based on some advice from another user here, in another thread.

Oh, and you will want the latest firmware, especially for audiobooks listening, as it gives you the separate “audiobook” folder that you can add your own (non Audible, etc) mp3s to…and for the automatic bookmarking in any files that reside in that folder (smae goes for the “podcast” folder).

Good luck! You have snagged a very cool mp3 player there bud. Once you get the right updates and get things organized how you like them, you will be diggin your audiobooks, and tunes too.

Message Edited by yoyorobbo on 06-12-2008 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info!  I’ll give it a try.