Labling and Organizing files on your player

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to label my MP3 files/folders so they are organized correctly when accessing them from the e260 player. Right now I have my music files organized like most people. I have all of the songs from the same artist/artists in one folder, but they do not appear that way on my player. They get all scrambled up, sometimes the song will be in the the correct “artist” catagory, but most often not. The only way to find all my music files is to look for them in the “songs” catagory and look for them in alphabetical order. I try to relabel the songs, but it won’t let me. How do you lable the songs/folders so they correspond correctly on your player? 

The Sansa mp3 players read the info contained in the ID3 tags of the music files. That info is displayed in lists; Artists, Albums, Songs, Genres. It doesn’t matter what you name the files or how you organize your folders; this is how the player works.

You can get a free program, MP3Tag to edit the tags if you like, but I’d save an orignal copy on your computer before you go mucking up the tags just to get them in the ‘order’ you think is better than the standard & universal way.

Is there a way to do it (in Windows XP SP3) just right-clicking the music file and then going to properties and then going to the summary tab and filling out the labeling there? For some reason it won’t let me fill in anything in those boxes. Here’s a pic of what I am seeing.

In the picture you linked, there’s a button labeled “Advanced”.  Click on that button and you’ll be able edit the tag information.  That’s going to pretty slow and tedious compared to using Mp3Tag.

Seriously, mp3tag is the way to go. You can put the whole Album and Artist in at once just by highlighting all the tracks on an album and filling in one field on the left half of the program window.

When you install mp3tag, go to Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg and change Write to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Those are the most compatible tags for Sansa. You may be having a problem because your tags are ID3v2.1, which your Sansa can’t read. Or there may be no tags at all. 

Thanks for the info, I will download that ID3tag software.

Message Edited by Janskeet on 06-03-2010 07:15 PM

Can you convert the MP3tags from ID3v2.1 or earlier to ID3v2.3 without clicking on all of them and resaving all the ID3tags?

Message Edited by Janskeet on 06-28-2010 06:40 PM

Message Edited by Janskeet on 06-28-2010 06:40 PM

Janskeet wrote:
Can you convert the MP3tags from ID3v2.1 or earlier to ID3v2.3 without clicking on all of them and resaving all the ID3tags?

That’s how you do it. Doesn’t get much easier.

Hahaha, I guess that is what I will have to do then.

You can highlight a whole album at once by holding down the Shift key and moving the cursor.