Just got my Sansa Clip today...why can't I move podcasts from my laptop to my Sansa Clip?

Great! Thanks for the link and info on the memory disks. i ordered on online last night.

After I installed Juice, and it was going through the configuration steps, it starts Itunes automatically (I’ve kept itunes on my pc until I am able to move all the podcasts from its directories).  Does it always do that?

So far I haven’t had any luck being able to change the destination folder because it shuts off automatically.  I’m not so sure it works with Vista.

It absolutely works with Vista and Win 7 (it’s doing so right now for me).  The issue is that Microsoft changed certain default destination folder names, slightly, starting with Vista.  Do a search for the ipodder.cfg file and change the file folder location references from the default “My Documents” simply to “Documents” (you can do this in WordPad).  Voila!

Miikerman -

First of all, I apologize for it taking me so long to get online and reply.  It’s been a hectic week. When I attempt to start Juice, the program freezes and instead of it coming up, iTunes starts instead.  Also - I did a search for ipodder.cfg but it was no where on my pc.  do I need to uninstall iTunes first?

t absolutely works with Vista and Win 7 (it’s doing so right now for me).  The issue is that Microsoft changed certain default destination folder names, slightly, starting with Vista.  Do a search for the ipodder.cfg file and change the file folder location references from the default “My Documents” simply to “Documents” (you can do this in WordPad).  Voila!

iTunes, in my experience, tries to exert dominance in life–the reason I prefer to avoid it.  I’m not sure why it is starting up for you, although checking my Juice setup just now, it has a setting in which you can set a default podcast player if you want to, and iTunes is an option–perhaps that is causing iTunes to start up when Juice itself won’t.

You can change the default directory for Juice podcast downloads (the reason I think you’re having an issue) from within the program, in its settings–but if your program won’t start, that doesn’t really help you.   ;)   The ipodder.cfg file is one of the settings files that Juice sets up when you install the program, in the folder holding the Juice application files and data (ipodder.cfg, iPodder.db, etc.)–on my Win7 system, I find it at C:\Users[user name]\AppData\Roaming\iPodder.

I hope this helps–

I installed Windows 7 and noticed several changes on my Sansa clip. 

1.  I can not use the “new and improved” Windows explorer to display any files on my clip.

2.  I download podcasts with iTunes. 

3.  By seting Windows Media Player library to the same folder as iTunes, when I open WMP, it displays the newly D/L’d pocasts.

4.  And WMP displays the podcasts in the MUSIC folder.

5.  I SYNC the Clip and populate the podcasts from the MUSIC folder in WMP.

6.  But, the Clip places the podcasts in the podcast folder.

While I am sure this process keeps the music folks happy by not mixing podcasts in with music files, it really frustrates those of us who have used the Clip for podcasts for a few years.  See, when the file is in the Clip MUSIC folder, you can select “REPEAT” and “PLAY ALL” to let the podcasts play all through the day or night.

BUT, when the files are highlighted in the PODCAST FOLDER, the PLAY ALL command is unavailable.  And the repeat function is disabled, too.  So, I can listen to Chuck’s podcast or John’s podcast, but not both - ONCE.  Then, I switch to DISK JOCKEY MODE and reach over to change podcast folders and press play again.  In addition, once the last podcast plays, you have to exit the podcast folder and re-enter in order to replay the podcast.

When did all of this “new and improved” lack-of-previous-functionality take place?  Why, with the SanDisk firmware upgrade in windows 7, of course!  Is there a way to roll the changes back?  Nobody can say, but the consensus is “nope.”

Caveat - don’t use our product for the features it had when you paid money for it.  Let us change those features because we know best how the CLIP should be used.

So, let me hop off of my soapbox before I get a splinter.  Then, I’ll start researching for an MP3 player that lets me “repeat” and “play all” my podcasts like the Clip used to.  Sad to say, I’m not sure if SanDisk will be on the list of possibles…  What’s the old saw?  “Fool me once…”

Problem

If that is indeed the case (and I wouldn’t know because I don’t have Win 7, nor use iTunes or podcasts), why can’t you simply manually move the podcast files from the Podcast folder to the Music folder after WMP puts them there? :confounded:

And before you quote #1 again, I’ve got to tell you there must be something you’re missing; I know plenty of people managing their music and players with Win 7’s Explorer.

Tape, thank you for your suggestion.  I truly appreciate the effort.  I didn’t want to list all the steps I took to overcome the glitch that happens when I open the Windows Explorer ( or what I used to call the :file mangler: beginning with Win 95). 

When you do, you discover quickly that the firmware update has greyed out the Clips file folders.  When you view WMP MUSIC entries, all the podcasts are visible. Switch to Explorer and all you see is the CLIP folder, followed by only one sub-folder - memory alloaction. Click on it for a 15 minute process which tells you Clip is A-OK.

I took the Clip to my NT PC, my XP machine, and my Vista workstation. The file manager on each machine cannot display the Clip folders.  Ergo, there is no way to move files from one Clip folder to another because the Clip firmware prevents you from seeing any folders, save the one mentioned above.

Perhaps if you could use iTunes in conjunction with WMP, and a Clip that had the latest firmware “upgrade” installed", it would be easier for you to assist me. Unfortunately, what you say “should” happen, is not actually occuring.

Do you have any other suggestions for me, Mon ami`?

After resetting my clip for the 4th or 5th time, Win Explorer was finaly able to list the folders and music on the Clip. Voila` - the podcasts were all there, visible only in the MUSIC folder.  Remove the clip from the PC, select MUSIC and it says - “no songs.”  They do display in the PODCAST folder where I can play them one at a time. (Yes, the repeat option is set to ALL).

So I put the Clip back on the PC. Using WinExplorer, I deleted the podcasts from the MUSIC folder. Then I copied them w/drag’n’drop to the Clip’s MUSIC folder. Unplug the Clip and 2 of the 14 podcasts display in the MUSIC folder, but they will not play.  Flatline.

The other podcasts which I copied to the MUSIC folder? They are back in the podcast folder where the PLAY ALL command is not available, and the REPEAT function doesn’t work.

Anyone know how to uninstall or roll-back a firmware “update?”

PS, this is a perfect example of Project Management rule 7 -

“The attempt to either remove bugs or add features from software always introduces new bugs.” 

I downloaded the 01.01.35 firmware .bin file and manually ran it.  Reset my preferences, and re-downloaded my podcasts. No change. They display in WinExplorer in the MUSIC folder, but the Clip shows “no songs” in that folder. They are in the PODCAST folder but don’t repeat. PLAY ALL is available but doesn’t function in PODCASTS.

Next thought was to edit the MP3 tags.  Nope.  But, while investigating the sort orders used by WMP et.al. to keep podcasts in order, show the album / artist name, time, etc., I discovered one link that works - GENRE.  By manually editing the GENRE inside WMP from PODCAST to MUSIC and synching, the Clip now displays my podcasts in the MUSIC folder and I can again PLAY ALL so they repeat. Lots of hoops to jump thru just to restore the function that made me buy the Clip to start with.

OK, so I have to edit the GENRE in WMP after each daily download.  Less than a half-minute to get what I want is no big deal at my house.

I’m Clippin’ again!  And “Thanks” to those who attempted to assist.