Jump to start of current track?

This is such a simple thing that I must be overlooking something very obvious.

If I’m playing a track and want to jump back to its beginning, how do I do that?

The “next” button jumps to the start of the next track, and the “previous” button jumps to the start of the previous track.

If I use next or previous to then go back to the track I was playing, it returns to the previous spot.

I can hold the previous button down and scan back near the beginning but that is very awkward.

This behavior is unlike any gadget I’ve ever had.  “Previous” should jump back to the start of the current.

If it makes any difference, I’m playing podcast files and accessing them through the Folders menu.

Message Edited by melman on 09-11-2009 08:31 AM

For music files, if you left click in the first few seconds of the file, the player goes back to the previous track; after the first few seconds, with a left click, the player goes back to the start of the current track.  A right click advances to the next track. 

You’re correct, the behavior is different for podcasts (and audiobooks).  My hunch is that SanDisk thought that it would be valuable to have the possibility of multiple bookmarks for one’s different podcasts and that it would be more valuable for left and right clicks to go to those bookmarks in the previous or next podcast (or to the beginning of that podcast, if it hadn’t been listened to, yet) rather than to the start of the current or next podcast, the thought being, perhaps, that people don’t tend to want to go back to the start of a podcast they already are listening to, as with a music file, and still could if they wanted to, by holding the left button down.  

Perhaps if requested, SanDisk could add settings (down button) options for podcasts, to go to the start of the previous, current or next podcast (or at least for the current podcast, which would be the most valuable).  

With audiobooks, left and right clicks will go to the start of the previous or next chapter, if the chapter mode setting is turned on.

“the thought being, perhaps, that people don’t tend to want to go back to the start of a podcast they already are listening to”

If one turns on a podcast before going to sleep, (and sets the sleep timer because there is not a “play one track and stop” mode), then upon waking it is handy to restart the track.

But enough about my problems.  I’m beginnng to think that my listening habits are pretty peculiar.

Sandisk’s interface design is really starting to annoy me.  I hope I can adapt to it.  My previous player (a Creative) was much more intuitive.

If you go back to the main Podcast selection screen (under the Music category) on the Clip+ itself, then select a podcast it will give you the option to resume playback or start podcast from beginning. This will work for multiple podcast files as well as audiobooks.

There is no chance that I could easily find my previous track in the maze of info in the Podcasts menu.  That’s why I don’t use it.

I download a lot of stuff from ESPN, and my Podcasts menu has two entries for ESPN, one for ESPN Podcenter, and one for ESPN Radio Insider.  

Did you see my comments in the product feature suggestion forum for a resume podcast and a resume audiobook function? The problem comes in when listening to some untagged podcasts or untagged book files in folder browsing mode, then some music, then turning off the player. When you turn it back on, the player doesn’t remember which podcast or audiobook file it was playing last.

Good find, ytsejam1138, that feature works well!

@melman wrote:

If one turns on a podcast before going to sleep, (and sets the sleep timer because there is not a “play one track and stop” mode), then upon waking it is handy to restart the track.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

In that case, if the sleep timer turned the player off after a podcast was finished, when you want to go back to that file and listen to it from the beginning, you should be able to, I would imagine.

I imagine that you will be able to find a play means that best suits your needs.