Interested in a Fuze ... battery life compared to Clip?

I bought a 2GB Clip last summer and am loving it to death, would not trade it for any iPod on the planet, but have quickly used up the capacity. I had thought about getting a larger Clip, or maybe a couple more Clips, but am now looking at getting an 8GB Fuze (and an 8GB card in an online package deal) instead. I’m generally pleased with the battery life in the Clip. I think I’m getting about 12 hours or so, but I’ve got a lot of higher quality Oggs and higher bitrate MP3s on there so I’m not expecting the optimum advertised battery life. I’m wondering how the Fuze compares in general as far as battery life, and in real world terms how much less battery life you get with video than audio. I don’t have very many videos and am not planning to really get into that a lot, but I do have a few MP4s that I’d like to keep on the player. Also, I’ve heard that as far as overall battery life, before it stops holding a charge, the Fuze is pretty strong. (I plead guilty to being one of those Luddites who would prefer an AA or AAA powered player, because I’m not really interested in the thing being as thin as a credit card, but I realize I’m in the minority these days). Is that accurate?

@bigg94 wrote:
I bought a 2GB Clip last summer and am loving it to death, would not trade it for any iPod on the planet, but have quickly used up the capacity. I had thought about getting a larger Clip, or maybe a couple more Clips, but am now looking at getting an 8GB Fuze (and an 8GB card in an online package deal) instead. I’m generally pleased with the battery life in the Clip. I think I’m getting about 12 hours or so, but I’ve got a lot of higher quality Oggs and higher bitrate MP3s on there so I’m not expecting the optimum advertised battery life. I’m wondering how the Fuze compares in general as far as battery life, and in real world terms how much less battery life you get with video than audio. I don’t have very many videos and am not planning to really get into that a lot, but I do have a few MP4s that I’d like to keep on the player. Also, I’ve heard that as far as overall battery life, before it stops holding a charge, the Fuze is pretty strong. (I plead guilty to being one of those Luddites who would prefer an AA or AAA powered player, because I’m not really interested in the thing being as thin as a credit card, but I realize I’m in the minority these days). Is that accurate?

I can’t speak to battery life with video, because I rarely use it. However, with just audio, it’s signifigantly longer than the Clip. I keep my backlight timer set at 10 seconds, and display brightness at about 33%, and generally don’t skip alot of tracks…just from time to time push a button to see who’s playing(lots of the music is still relatively new to me). I think if you are getting 12 hours with the Clip, you’d probably get 20 with the Fuze…assuming no video. One of the other members here that uses the video capability could give you a better idea what to expect with that factored in.

Having both players can be very convenient too. I use my 2GB Clip(do wish it was a 4GB) for my current heavy rotation music, and it is my portable…my Fuze usually stays home, and the 4GB + 8GB card allows me alot more capacity. I would advise getting a wallcharger though, for both players…charging is a good deal faster for me.

I don’t use video on my Fuze. Imo video on the Fuze isn’t worth the trouble.The small screen, low resolution, and rapid battery consumption make it impractical. Figure on the battery consumption rate for video being 5 times that for audio. As for music, figure on around 50% more run time for the Fuze than for the Clip. Buy the Fuze for the card slot and longer battery life, not the video capability.

I am still looking for a good AA or AAA battery based player with a card slot and a display that navigates by folders. I haven’t found one yet. I have both the Fuze and Clip, and hate navigation by tags.

JK98 wrote: 

I have both the Fuze and Clip, and hate navigation by tags.

At least there’s no tag worries on your slot player!

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-26-2009 05:45 PM

RE>video, the only MP4s I have, and I’m likely to ever have, and you guys are probably going to think I’m nuts but I’m a history buff, is some original broadcast footage of JFK assassination coverage from CBS and ABC in 1963 which is iffy quality anyway and I figured I’d put it on the player just for the heck of it. I’m not too keen on the idea of watching anything else on such a tiny little screen, LOL!

@bigg94 wrote:
RE>video, the only MP4s I have, and I’m likely to ever have, and you guys are probably going to think I’m nuts but I’m a history buff, is some original broadcast footage of JFK assassination coverage from CBS and ABC in 1963 which is iffy quality anyway and I figured I’d put it on the player just for the heck of it. I’m not too keen on the idea of watching anything else on such a tiny little screen, LOL!

Nothing wrong with liking history. ANd as far as the small screen, I see what you mean(pardon the pun). I’ve never watched anything over 15 minutes on mine, and that was when I first got the player, testing it all out. I did video podcasts for a little while, but since it took almost as long to load them in as it did to watch them, I stopped and stuck to audio ones. But putting something on and leaving it there, that would eliminate the issue I had. There are others here who watch whole movies on their Fuzes…I don’t think I could, but I’m glad they enjoy it.:smiley: 

@bigg94 wrote:

This part has probably been answered.   21 hours of battery life vs 15 hours on the clip.

I have both the Fuze and Clip.    I share your love of the clip, its my favorate mp3 player by far.  My personal choice is the 8 GB clip that clips onto my clothes and is so portable.    My Fuze doesn’t get used near as much as my Clip.   The Fuze is thicker than a credit card but i don’t have the measurements and heavy in my opinion (maybe you can google the exact specs).  (see one for yourself)  The Clip is thick, but light and small :)  When i do take the Fuze, it stays in a jeans pocket,    and i hardly use the controls.    The clip i just reach up to my shirt and click to the next track or change the volume.    I love my CLIP,   the Fuze is cool too.  Just not as cool IMO :stuck_out_tongue:

“At least there’s no tags on your slot player!”

How can I get my Slotmusic Player to breed with my Clip? :slight_smile: I want a player that navigates by folders, has a card slot, uses a AAA battery, has a basic display(no video), and no USB connection.

Hi JK,

You have made your request for this type of player very clear in all of your recent posts. No offense but it really is starting to sound like a broken record. We are at least considering the folder navigation part.

SansaFix

I use videos, pictures, and audio with my Fuze. my brightness is on max, with volume high, and backlight set at 10. It takes me about near 16hours worth with audio, and maybe about 5-7 hours worth with video. pics with music is maybe like 14hours. I’m not sure about that. Everyday, my fuze last 10 seconds less. =] Darn dieing batteries. T.T

P.S, on my Fuze, despite the screen, and resolution, I enjoy watching comedy videos, movies, small clips, and a few other things.