Important! Read first if you have problems converting.

First to solve a common problem I’ve seen alot on these forums. You must have your player plugged in before smc will convert any video. That is why they convert button is not lit up.

The second is, after reinstalling windows and installing the newest version of smc, it would not convert avi anymore. In windows 7 the player would get stuck at 0% conversion, in windows xp I would get a message about not having the codec installed even though it was and I could play it on my computer. I converted the avi to wmv and it worked after that. I had an older version of smc laying around and installed that, avis worked again. I don’t know if the new version is bugged, or they stopped supporting avi.

So you either need to convert your avi’s to wmv or another format or find and install an older version of the smc player. I think my version that works with avi is 4.236 instead of the new version 4.256. Hope that helps, it was a pain figuring that out myself as I couldn’t find anyone else with a similar problem. I originally thought that it just wasn’t compatible with windows 7, but it is.

Hi Curses,

In the Help section for SMC, “Converting Video Files”  it clearly states:

“Note:
·If your Sansa Media Player is connected, the converted video will be directly copied across; if the Sansa Media Player is not present , the video will be converted and saved to a temporary path, which you can set by clicking the Menu  button, then selecting Tools and then Option.”

Unfortunately that does not seem to happen - I can create the temporary path but then still do not have the ‘Convert’ button.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Rob

@roblew wrote:

Hi Curses,

In the Help section for SMC, “Converting Video Files”  it clearly states:

“Note:
·If your Sansa Media Player is connected, the converted video will be directly copied across; if the Sansa Media Player is not present , the video will be converted and saved to a temporary path, which you can set by clicking the Menu  button, then selecting Tools and then Option.”

In the Help section for SMC, “Converting Video Files”  it clearly lies!