Imbedded cover art does not work on the Fuze if mp3 file was copied via MSC mode

I have a Sansa Fuze with the latest 1.01.22 firmware. If I have an MP3 file with embedded cover art (used Mp3tag to embed) and copy it over to the Sansa Fuze in MSC mode, the embedded cover art is not shown during browsing or playing. If I put a folder.jpg file in the folder with the MP3 file, then that folder.jpg is displayed OK during browsing or playing.

A friend of mine has a Fuze and if they copy an MP3 with embedded cover art using MTP mode, then that cover art *IS* displayed when browsing or playing the MP3.

I prefer MSC mode, but it seems impossible to get the Sansa Fuze to display embedded cover art. I’ve even tried different embedded .jpg files to see if that mattered (it didn’t).

Why does embedded cover art display OK if the MP3 was copied via MTP mode, but not if the MP3 was copied via MSC mode?

Interesting. I never have worried about it too much, but I was curious why sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. I did establish that folder.jpg would show when d&d with MSC, but that’s as far as I ever went with it. I’ve never bothered with MP3Tag, or anything like it…if WMP11 or MediaMonkey couldn’t tag something, then I would know what the 1 or 2 "unknown"s were, and just deal with it. Maybe I’m lazy, but I’m pretty stress-free :smiley:

@haverchuck wrote:

I have a Sansa Fuze with the latest 1.01.22 firmware. If I have an MP3 file with embedded cover art (used Mp3tag to embed) and copy it over to the Sansa Fuze in MSC mode, the embedded cover art is not shown during browsing or playing. If I put a folder.jpg file in the folder with the MP3 file, then that folder.jpg is displayed OK during browsing or playing.

A friend of mine has a Fuze and if they copy an MP3 with embedded cover art using MTP mode, then that cover art *IS* displayed when browsing or playing the MP3.

I prefer MSC mode, but it seems impossible to get the Sansa Fuze to display embedded cover art. I’ve even tried different embedded .jpg files to see if that mattered (it didn’t).

Why does embedded cover art display OK if the MP3 was copied via MTP mode, but not if the MP3 was copied via MSC mode?

Your theory is faulty.  I use MSC exclusively and embedded cover art will show during playback. I do not use Mp3Tag to create my tags however.  I use Tag & Rename and it works for me in MSC mode.  However it must be said that Mp3’s are not my format of choice and I do not have a large amount of Mp3’s.  But, the ones I do have that have embedded cover art, show with my unit in MSC.

It must be said that I’m not a fan of embedded cover art; and find that the folder.jpg approach is a much more elegant way of handling art in the first place.  I’m sorry that it is bothersome to you, but I’m not going to let a little thing like embedded art stand in the way of me enjoying my music.  I have run across a very few that didn’t want to display properly, so I just created a folder.jpg and was done with it.

Message Edited by fuze_owner-GB on 01-31-2009 12:53 PM

Also having an embedded image in every file is going to burn up additional memory that you could be using for music. Whatever the number of tracks are in an album, say 10 - 15, you’re going to have 10 - 15 identical images taking up space on the player’s memory via the larger file size, rather than just 1 image in an ‘album art.jpg’ or ‘folder.jpg’ file that will be displayed whenever one of the songs of the album is played.

@tapeworm wrote:
Also having an embedded image in every file is going to burn up additional memory that you could be using for music. Whatever the number of tracks are in an album, say 10 - 15, you’re going to have 10 - 15 identical images taking up space on the player’s memory via the larger file size, rather than just 1 image in an ‘album art.jpg’ or ‘folder.jpg’ file that will be displayed whenever one of the songs of the album is played.

Yes this is true.  And once the cover art is embedded, most tag editors will not recover this additional file area, if you have them delete the tag info.   Wastes space on every file.    I prefer Folder.jpg over other methods for album art.

Does anyone know of a program that will let you delete and clean up tags, and reclaim this space?    Or one that will strip out embedded artwork and make them as a separate jpg file?

@niko_sama wrote:

Does anyone know of a program that will let you delete and clean up tags, and reclaim this space?    Or one that will strip out embedded artwork and make them as a separate jpg file?

MP3Tag will do this for you, at least the part about creating a separate file from the embedded art anyway.

@tapeworm wrote:

MP3Tag will do this for you, at least the part about creating a separate file from the embedded art anyway.

MP3Tag can also be used to remove the cover art - just right-click on the album art and select Remove Cover.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@haverchuck wrote:

Your theory is faulty. I use MSC exclusively and embedded cover art will show during playback.

[…]

If my memory serves me right, I was able to see the embedded cover arts during playback but not during browsing when the files were transfered via MSC. On the other hand, they showed up during both playback and browsing if the files were transfered via MTP.

I think I’ve read somewhere that this is because Fuze is not handling embedded art correctly, and MTP does some extra work behind the scene. Therefore, I go with folder.jpg exclusively now because I prefer MSC too. And as many others have pointed out, using embedded art is actually wasteful if you have identical cover art for all the tracks, I use Mp3tag to remove the embedded artworks once in a while.

Message Edited by ilikefuze on 01-31-2009 03:11 PM

Message Edited by ilikefuze on 01-31-2009 03:11 PM

Yes, yes, I understand a single folder.jpg in a directory of many songs from the same album is the best choice and I have done this many times with success using MSC mode. But sometimes I have just one song, not an entire album and thought I would experiment with embedded cover art to see if I could get it to work.

The reply from fuze_owner-GB says that they have had success with embedded art using MSC mode. I didn’t remember saying it was bothersome for me because I couldn’t get it to work or that I couldn’t enjoy my music without embedded art. I just wondered if someone out there could tell me why I couldn’t get it to work when copying via MSC mode.

The reply from ilikefuze says there may be a know issue with embedded art with the Fuze. Are there any Sansa S/W engineers out there that are aware of this issue that would like to comment?

Thanks to all who replied.

I am not a software engineer at SanDisk but I have been a gamer for my entire life and have done many beta tests. I have also studdied programming. Thats all has noting to do with my post, I have better luck with my  album art in MSC. I have used mp3tag, tag&rename, and WMP to edit tags. In MTP some work and some wont, MSC with Drag and drop they are all there. I know you have probably done this but Triple check your tags, make sure they arnt just there on your pc, they have to be in the files metadata.

The tags and cover art are definitely in the MP3 file.  I can view them using Winamp, so I am sure they are there.  I even played the song with Winamp from the Fuze over the USB cable and the embedded cover art was visible to Winamp.

This is gonna sound like I’m being condescending but I assure you thats not my intent. Did you modify the tags after you put them on the fuze? If so did you delete the files and replace them on the fuze? Im sure you did but you may be supprised how many expect it not to matter. I am officially out of Ideas. Ill be back if i think of any.

Sorry, but I’m like Marvin… I’m lazy when it comes to things with the fuze that don’t directly affect the music.  I’m not going to sweat blood over embedded cover art when the folder.jpg method works flawlessly.

From past experience, the more information that occupies the metadata section of an MP3 file, the more room for error.  I try to keep this area as clean as possible, to minimize errors or problems.

That’s my methodology, for what it’s worth.

@conversionbox wrote:
This is gonna sound like I’m being condescending but I assure you thats not my intent. Did you modify the tags after you put them on the fuze? If so did you delete the files and replace them on the fuze? Im sure you did but you may be supprised how many expect it not to matter. I am officially out of Ideas. Ill be back if i think of any.

I did not modify the tags on the Fuze - it was all done on my PC.  In the many iterations of this, I have always deleted the file on the Fuze.  Actually, you have to empty the Recycle Bin that appears in the directory of the Fuze or the file appears twice.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Sorry, but I’m like Marvin… I’m lazy when it comes to things with the fuze that don’t directly affect the music. I’m not going to sweat blood over embedded cover art when the folder.jpg method works flawlessly.

From past experience, the more information that occupies the metadata section of an MP3 file, the more room for error. I try to keep this area as clean as possible, to minimize errors or problems.

That’s my methodology, for what it’s worth.

Thanks for your point of view. I would still like to understand why embedded cover art doesn’t work for me on the Fuze, especially since the same MP3 file shows the embedded cover art fine with Winamp. If it bothers you that I am trying to find a solution to this issue, avoid this thread.

@haverchuck wrote:

Thanks for your point of view. I would still like to understand why embedded cover art doesn’t work for me on the Fuze, especially since the same MP3 file shows the embedded cover art fine with Winamp. If it bothers you that I am trying to find a solution to this issue, avoid this thread.

Easy now . . . there’s no need for the 'tude, dude. We understand you’re frustrated, but any hostility you project, especially being a newcomer in someone else’s ‘house’ is only likely going to be reflected back at you. If you want ideas and thoughts form different people, and you must since you asked, you have to be willing to accept all that’s offered, whether it helps you or not.

@haverchuck wrote:

Easy now . . . there’s no need for the 'tude, dude. We understand you’re frustrated, but any hostility you project, especially being a newcomer in someone else’s ‘house’ is only likely going to be reflected back at you. If you want ideas and thoughts from different people (and you must since you asked), you have to be willing to accept all that’s offered, whether it helps you or not.

LOL,  actually i think what he said was fine.   It shouldn’t bother anyone hes trying to find a solution.  :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing out mp3tag will delete the cover art.   for some reason i thought it would delete the cover art tag but not reclaim the space.    I think I may have read that from another artical on the subject but not one from this site.      I’m happy to know it works, and reclaims the space.     I tryed it on one of my files and saved 90k…     i was also able to save the artwork by selecting the file, going to properties, tag id,   viewing the art, and then right clicking on the image .    YAY.     I had a few gig worth of mp3’s i had scaned with Tag-runner, it grabbed the artwork and i think it embedded it, or… maybe it was itunes.   I’m not sure …    now i can scan my library for them and remove the embedded cover art tags :slight_smile:

Message Edited by niko_sama on 02-01-2009 12:08 AM

@niko_sama wrote:

LOL,  actually i think what he said was fine.   It shouldn’t bother anyone hes trying to find a solution.  :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing out mp3tag will delete the cover art.   for some reason i thought it would delete the cover art tab but not reclaim the space.    I think I may have said that from another artical on the subject but not one from this site.      I’m happy to know it works, and reclaims the space.     I tryed it on one of my files and saved 90k…     i was also able to save the artwork under by selecting the file, going to properties, tag id,   viewing the art, and then right clicking on the image .    YAY.     I had a few gig worth of mp3’s i had scaned with Tag-runner, it grabbed the artwork and i think it embedded them, or… maybe it was itunes.   I’m not sure …    now i can scan my library for them and remove the tags :slight_smile:

To be honest think about what GB said. It is a solution. Not the one the OP is looking for obviously but it was an option to just let it go. So lets not jump on people who offer solutions not to our liking. How often do we suggest Formatting players, and how many times is that what people want to do? Its rare. So Lets all cool down a bit. 

Cool is my middle name.   I still don’t see the problem ><   Maybe im blind, or i don’t care that much to worry about it  LOL