I would like to charge my Clip with a battery pack while I'm backpacking!

I searched but couldn’t find any info on using a DC charge pack to charge my clip. It seems that it won’t charge unless it’s connected to a PC. I understand the 5VDC requirement on the USB bus but does it need to see any data or a data set on the 2 USB data lines?

Thanks!

The Clip shouldn’t need to see the data pins, however, with the DC connector that I’ve tried, it seems as if when the data pins are touching to the plug (mind you, into a wall socket), it won’t charge. You relatively have to just hope.

I’ve seen people around here that have been using phone chargers (was it specifcally Motorola? can’t remember), that have worked quite well. That just points to me that the data pins aren’t necessary to charge.

Pick up one of the Energizer “Energi To Go” mini-usb model.  It will let you charge your Clip with 2 AA batteries.  I’ve used one with the Clip and it works fine.  I’ll put  the link to the Energizer site below, but you should be able to find one of these at almost any store that sells any electronics.

http://www.energizer.com/products/energi-to-go/cell-phone-charger/Pages/cell-battery-charger.aspx

RDOW,

Thanks for the info, that’s just what I need! What model/version charger did you find that works with the clip?

Thank You,

Al.

The one I got is labeled as a charger for mini-USB use.

I also recall someone posting a link somewhere about a solar-powered USB charger specifically designed for backpacking, etc. You might do a search on all boards.

Thanks for the help, solar would be great but the Northwest is a little unrealiable for sunshine. I’d really like to be able to charge it with a battery source while hiking.

Thanks to all, Al.

AH!  Go green?  Use a solar cell, stand in the sun, and augment this source with a beanie cap replete with generator on the wee blade.

That’s nice.  Solar and wind power.  Note, get back in that brighter light, and keep running in circles.  Your wind beanie will slow down.

Actually, the Energizer gizmo uses a DC/DC converter (charge pump) like automotive power amplifiers do, bringing the 3v supplied by two AA batteries up to 5v.  See the problem?  Efficiency rears its head again.  That’s why they recommend using the Lithium e2 batteries, at over $5 a pair.

Don’t get me wrong, the tradeoff in size and convenience is great.

There is another inexpensive option, available (I’m sure it is) via Internet or your local Radio Hut Shack.  Explain this idea slowly, before you’re sold a new cell phone instead:  they have a USB battery unit that charges from your PC or a USB wall outlet, with a handy port on the side for charging your Sansa (or any USB portable device).  If I recall, it’s only $20.

The Clip, when the battery is low, will draw just under 200mA for the initial charge, then it tapers off.  Most charge schemes for lithium batteries work in this mode.  I’d bet that the slightly larger rechargeable battery unit will work out better for you, especially on an extended trip.  It should handle a few Clip recharges.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey I bet I’d look great in a wired up beanie!

Thanks for the suggestions! Think I’ll get the USB Battery charger that Bob

mentioned. It seems the most economical to use with time and should charge

my Clip a few times while I’m out and about.

Thought I’d share the link to it in case anyone else needs a portable charger:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3184267&cp=&sr=1&origkw=usb+battery&kw=usb+battery&parentPage=search

Note: It comes in several colors, I just picked red so it’s not as easy to lose.

Thanks again, Al

Cool, I may have to get one of those.  But if I was going on an extended hiking trip without access to AC to recharge the recharger I’d still go with the Engergizer since you could just take along some extra AA batteries to get you through the trip.

Hmmm… I’ll have to retract the “Cool” comment.  Site says its capacity is 750mAh and that is really low.  Most common AA rechargable batteries have an 800 mAh capactity (and that is a single AA).  You can get AA’s with a capacity up to 2800 mAh.

Just found the perfect solution for hiking, just not quite on the market yet; it can charge electronic gadgets with human motion.

http://www.smartplanet.com/news/tech/10001619/charge-your-iphone-with-motion-power-in-2009.htm

Hey, the tried and true alkaline AA is a powerhouse, to be sure.  What I like about the wee USB device is that it’s convenient, very small, and gives you “extended range” with your Sansa when travelling.  Once you get back to a source of power, you simply charge everybody up.

With either option, you’ll be sure to have a live Sansa when out in the wild.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Hey,

I think my all time favorite suggestion is the shake-it-to-make-it-charge idea. If it

was made light enough I know lots of places to put it on my pack to get a super charge.

Heck if I got back to the trailhead and someones car battery was dead I could jump

start them with it!:smileyvery-happy:

Anyways thanks for all the help and ideas, I’ll report back how the USB Battery works

if the weather holds and I get out again. 

tightlines!