Charging Clip w/o using laptop - what do you need?

I purchased a 2GB Clip+ for my mom today via the Best Buy website. 

I just want to make sure I have all the accessories she’ll need before I give it to her.

I know that a USB cable comes with the Clip+.  Is that and the AC Adapter that is available for purchase from the SanDisk webstore all that is needed to charge the Clip w/o using a computer?

I appreciate your help.  I know nothing about mp3 players - I am a bit of a technophobe.

Thank you,

Carrie

Yep, that’s it.  You plug an AC USB adpter into the wall, and then, if it doesn’t have a USB cable attached to it, you attach your USB cable between the adapter and your player.

Note that you don’t need the AC USB adapter that SanDisk might be selling–any other AC USB adapter should work as well (Best Buy sells them, as does WalMart, Staples, etc.; common makes are adapters from Macally, DLO, Kensington, Belkin, etc.). 

Thanks so much for your reply - and all of the great info - it is much appreciated!

Carrie

A great gift–made even better when preloaded with music you enjoy!

It’s so funny, I had a plan to “kidnap” her CDs yesterday to have them ready to load onto the player when it arrives tomorrow.  She had them in a nice neat pile, labeled with post-it notes with what tracks she wanted  :smileyvery-happy: 

I have read through the User Manual posted here at the forum - very nice to be able to do that before the player even arrives - and I think I know what I’m doing. 

Carrie

cafield wrote:

. . . and I think I know what I’m doing. 

Carrie

Then you’re 1 step ahead of most of the poeple here . . .

yours truly included. :stuck_out_tongue:

cafield wrote:

. . . and I think I know what I’m doing. 

Carrie

Then you’re 1 step ahead of most of the people here . . .

Yours truly included. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you will be away from a pc and also be away from AC power, then you could use a USB battery pack to charge the Clip+. i have two of them, the Lenmar Powerport Mini, and the Tekkeon mp1550. The Poweport Mini has a built in lion battery and is itself charged via USB(either a pc or a USB wall charger). It is around the size of the Clip+, and has a 650 mah lion battery built in. I guess it might give around a full charge and a third to the Clip+? I paid $10 for my Powerport Mini.

The Tekkeon mp1550 uses  AA batteries(2 or 4, but it will work much better with 4 than with 2.It will use alkalines or nimh batteries, however with alkalines the unit may become very hot and around half the power may be wasted as heat. It works very well with 4 nimh batteries, and will even charge nimh batteries inside the device via USB(it takes around 6 hours though). The Tekkeon mp1550 is around $20. It might be able to get around 7 full charges of the Clip+ using 4 2900 mah nimh batteries?

Another interesting USB charger is the Tekkeon mp1800. It has a 4,000 mah lion battery built in. It might give around 8 full charges of the battery in the Clip+? It is around $35.

Duracell also makes some USB chargers with a lion battery built in. The Tekkeon chargers seem like better values though.