I think FM radio problems are caused by firmware, not hardware on the Clip+.

Hi All,

I bought a Clip+ a couple days ago and I really like it. One thing I didn’t like was the weak FM radio reception. I listen to two local FM stations which came in strong with my Fuze but not with the Clip+. One station was just heavy static and clicking, the other came in OK but wavered in and out from strong to weak reception with the Clip+.

I installed Rockbox and while running Rockbox, both stations come in loud and clear!

After reading through some of the comments about other people having FM radio problems I really think the problems are caused by firmware, not defective hardware on the player based on my experience using both the OF and Rockbox and getting different FM performance.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Cheers.

This is interesting. I’ve observed very poor performance in FM reception with my Clip+. It also loses frequency lock and drifts terribly. It’s so bad that I just can’t use the FM radio function, and that’s really why I bought it in the first place. I’m finding many others reporting poor reception with the Clip+ while their other units, non Clip+, have good reception. I’m also finding several other people who have the frequency drift problem with their units. It would be interesting to learn if the drift issue is firmware related. My Clip+ came with the latest firmware so I have no other version to compare it to.

Whatever the cause - this is exactly the issue I’m having. The 2g clip I have had for 3 years or so and used heavily, finally died.  The FM function is why I bought the original and I was so pleased I immediately bought what I thought was an upgrade Clip+ a few days ago.  Now I can barely listen to my favorite local FM stations due to drift. When I first tune in it works great but within a few minutes starts to get fuzzy. If this can’t be rectified soon I plan to return it and go back to a 2g.

@flyingjoker wrote:

Whatever the cause - this is exactly the issue I’m having. The 2g clip I have had for 3 years or so and used heavily, finally died.  The FM function is why I bought the original and I was so pleased I immediately bought what I thought was an upgrade Clip+ a few days ago.  Now I can barely listen to my favorite local FM stations due to drift. When I first tune in it works great but within a few minutes starts to get fuzzy. If this can’t be rectified soon I plan to return it and go back to the 2g.

You’re better off returning it and getting a Clip Zip instead.