I loaded the songs, but where are they?

I read the message below that asked how to load music. I went into my music folder. On the left side of the screen it says copy file. Clicked on that, then it pops up a window to pick where to copy it to. Clicked on Sansa and then the music folder and hit the copy button. When I hook the Sansa player up to the computer, it shows all the music is on there. But when you unhook the player from the computer, all it shows are the songs that came preloaded, none of the songs I loaded.

I already have the songs as mp3’s on my computer, so that can’t be it.

Please Help!

Your music must have proper ID3 tags on each file, more specifically, ID3 v2.3.  The Sansa finds these files via the ID3 tag.

I don’t have enough information on your “copy to” operation.  We need to know what application is being used, and a bit of information about your computer (operating system).  The Sansa will accept files in one of two communications modes, from a whole range of sources, but the music needs those tags.

Let us know some more details, and we can go from there.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Be patient with me. I’ve used a computer forever, but I’m not good with technical stuff. Okay. We are running Windows XP, Version 2002. Under system info I found the following: Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40 GHz, 2.39 GHz, 504 MB of RAM.

When I click on My  Computer, and navigate to my music folder, and click on one of my “songs”, this is the info it shows on the left side (which is I guess a navigation/information bar).

Song Title

Size: 3.69 MB

MPEG-4 Audio file

I can’t find any “tags”. Maybe I’m not looking in the right place. I right cliced on the song and hit properties, but still didn’t find a “tag”.

Properties, Summary, Advanced button.  The Clip shows its contents using certain of these fields (tags) (artist, album, title, genre).  With downloaded music, the tags often already are filled in (although sometimes incorrectly or not to your liking); sometimes not.  With music you rip from a CD, no. 

You can fill in the information using the above (click on the area under the “value” column and type your info. in).  This can be laborious, however, and so various “tagging” programs exist to streamline the process.  E.g. MP3Tag; The Godfather.  Ripping programs typically allow you to download music tag info. from Internet databases, greatly assisting when ripping music.

I hope this helps.

I have an Ipod, so I have Itunes loaded on my computer and it manages all our mp3 files. Could this be part of the problem? The paperwork that came with the Sansa clip said I have to load the Rhapsody software and create an account. I haven’t done this. Do I really need two separate software programs?

Also, I googled mp3 tags and found Picard software. I thought about downloading it to see if that helps. I tried going to properties on each music file and entering the info under the value. But that still didn’t work.

Any thoughts?

Rhapsody is only needed for a music subscription service.  Do not load it.

Ah, iTunes.  If I recall correctly, iTunes uses its own music organization system, naming music files something nonsensical and nontransparent.  If you are trying to move “iTune tunes” over, that indeed could be the issue (but I don’t use iTunes).

Are you trying to move mp3 files over (that is, files ending in .mp3)?  Or .aac files, which iPods play?  The Clip does not play .aac files–and that could be the issue.  As stated in the Clip manual, the Clip supports mp3, wma and wav files, and now ogg files. 

There should be no issue with non-iTunes tunes. 

edit:  Just re-read your earlier post as to your file, an MPEG-4 Audio file.  The Clip does not support that format.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 05-31-2008 04:52 PM

Before you download a bunch of stuff, or install programs you might not necessarily need, here are some info.

You don’t need rhapsody, and id3v2 tags aren’t necessary for the player to “find” the music. it’ll read the extensions, and if it isn’t mp3, ogg or wma, it won’t “see” the music.

it sounds like your library could possibly be in AAC format, because you use ipod / itunes, but that’s only an assumption from the symptoms you described. Please check the extensions of your music to verify they are in fact mp3.

reply back if you have anymore info. goodluck!

Message Edited by thoma on 06-02-2008 09:05 AM

@keithfamily5 wrote:

Be patient with me. I’ve used a computer forever, but I’m not good with technical stuff. Okay. We are running Windows XP, Version 2002. Under system info I found the following: Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 2.40 GHz, 2.39 GHz, 504 MB of RAM.

When I click on My  Computer, and navigate to my music folder, and click on one of my “songs”, this is the info it shows on the left side (which is I guess a navigation/information bar).

Song Title

Size: 3.69 MB

MPEG-4 Audio file

I can’t find any “tags”. Maybe I’m not looking in the right place. I right cliced on the song and hit properties, but still didn’t find a “tag”.

right there is your problem. your files are MPEG-4 probably .m4a format since you are using itunes. you will need to convert them to MP3 or wma.

Message Edited by drlucky on 06-02-2008 11:13 AM

Mine did the same thing, I had to reset the format, delete everything and reload songs, then wait until I turned it on and off about a hundred times till it refreshed the database and the songs finally appeared.  Then it refreshed itself the next couple times I turned it on, then locked up.  I shut it off again, and now it’s working fine.    My sister says her 2g is temperamental too.  Sometimes they don’t work cause they don’t feel like it.