How to tell revision 1 from revision 2?

I’m looking at Clips on newegg.com and notice what must be two revisions being sold of identical clips.  It appears that the main difference is the part #.  One ends in -a57 and one in -a70.  Is this any indication of the revision number? 

For example, here is a 2GB blue clip.  One has this part #:

SDMX11R-002GB-A57

and one has this part #:

SDMX11R-2048B-A70

Thanks for any help!

I’d like to know as well.

Turning the thing on and looking at the info screen is one way, another is looking through the hole in the Clip’s clip.

Rev. 1 says 2GB on mine, and Rev. 2 has the new Sansa/4 S’s/4-leaf clover logo . My Rev. 2 came in the same packaging as my Rev. 1 that I got last year, so that’s not a given either way.

You may want to telephone SanDisk and ask.  If you find out, do let us know!

Since I want to order online, it’s kind of hard for me to examine the units or the packaging.  I was hoping someone knew the part # schemes SanDisk uses.

Thanks anyway.

@zdaddy wrote:

Since I want to order online, it’s kind of hard for me to examine the units or the packaging.  I was hoping someone knew the part # schemes SanDisk uses.

Thanks anyway.

I gotta ask? Why Does it matter? They play the Same and work the same. The only difference is a little bit of hardware and the Firmware you have to install, but even that is the same for both V1 and V2

It could be for Rockbox purposes (which will first support (if it is finished) version 1)?

Didnt think about that.

Doesn’t really matter actually because both rockbox versions won’t be out for a long time yet.

And some of us have no interest either :wink:

@d_headshot wrote:
Doesn’t really matter actually because both rockbox versions won’t be out for a long time yet.

Unless they work with rockbox and need a player to use for tests.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Marvin, I’ve seen enough of you here to guess that if a less alpha or beta version of Rockbox issued for the Clip, you likely would be trying it out (and, my hunch is, liking it). 

:wink:

@miikerman wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Marvin, I’ve seen enough of you here to guess that if a less alpha or beta version of Rockbox issued for the Clip, you likely would be trying it out (and, my hunch is, liking it). 

I’m somebody that uninstalled SMC even though I own a Fuze, because the effort involved wasn’t worth what you got from it. I still use my Fuze at least 2 hours a day, so clearly I’m not torn up about the video issue…I bought it thinking any video was a bonus, and I still feel that way.I know this is the Clip forum, but I use both players much the same way, except the Fuze doesn’t go anywhere.(and it has a bigger GoList):stuck_out_tongue:

So…given that I don’t feel the effort with SMC is worthwhile, I can’t help but wonder if RB would be the same way.  With all the pleas for help that I’ve seen that are RB related over at ABI, I can’t help but wonder why so many can’t figure it out…and it just makes me wonder if it would be worth it

.I know it has games…I have a PS2 for that, I don’t even play the ones on my phone. Themes…maybe cool, but most of the time my screens are asleep anyways.:smiley: Gapless would be cool, but I’m ok without it. The one thing that I do like that I know of is seeing more info…bitrate, codec, etc. But I wouldn’t want to jump through hoops to get it either. And there’s no one nearby IRL with a player that has it for me to see either…I was congratulated on getting an iPod   for walking in with my Fuze,  and on another day, my Clip, to work.

So given all this, do you still think I would like it?

(that turned out to be more of a novel than I expected…lol)

@marvin_martian wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I’m somebody that uninstalled SMC even though I own a Fuze, because the effort involved wasn’t worth what you got from it. I still use my Fuze at least 2 hours a day, so clearly I’m not torn up about the video issue…I bought it thinking any video was a bonus, and I still feel that way.I know this is the Clip forum, but I use both players much the same way, except the Fuze doesn’t go anywhere.(and it has a bigger GoList):stuck_out_tongue:

So…given that I don’t feel the effort with SMC is worthwhile, I can’t help but wonder if RB would be the same way.  With all the pleas for help that I’ve seen that are RB related over at ABI, I can’t help but wonder why so many can’t figure it out…and it just makes me wonder if it would be worth it

.I know it has games…I have a PS2 for that, I don’t even play the ones on my phone. Themes…maybe cool, but most of the time my screens are asleep anyways.:smiley: Gapless would be cool, but I’m ok without it. The one thing that I do like that I know of is seeing more info…bitrate, codec, etc. But I wouldn’t want to jump through hoops to get it either. And there’s no one nearby IRL with a player that has it for me to see either…I was congratulated on getting an iPod   for walking in with my Fuze,  and on another day, my Clip, to work.

But you know you would install it and at least try it, then switch back to the Sandisk FW. I would.

@conversionbox wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

But you know you would install it and at least try it, then switch back to the Sandisk FW. I would.

I guess now that I have 2 Clips, I might try it on the old one…just in case…lol.

I was trying to think of the advantages of Rockbox on a player as small as the Clip, when one matter came to mind:  folder view! 

@miikerman wrote:
I was trying to think of the advantages of Rockbox on a player as small as the Clip, when one matter came to mind:  folder view! 

I’ve never had a player with it. I am curious to check out just how different in practice it would be, since I think my music is pretty well organized already. I bet the people with playlist problems would love it.

Why does it matter?  I’ll answer that with another question: Why did they revise the hardware?  There must have been a good reason for revising hardware, otherwise they’d be wasting R&D resources.  If you found out the car you were about to buy had a revision 1 and revision 2, but the car manufacturer told you “Don’t worry about it.  They’re exactly the same.”  then wouldn’t you at least question “Well if they’re exactly the same, why did you have to make a 2nd revision?”  Wouldn’t you be inclined to want the 2nd revision because there might be some secret, unadmitted improvement?  :wink:

Presumably, the revision gets the job done better/easier, and/or cheaper.  Almost certainly, at least the latter?  It also could be a parts supply issue.

@miikerman wrote:
Presumably, the revision gets the job done better/easier, and/or cheaper.  Almost certainly, at least the latter?  It also could be a parts supply issue.

I was in manufacturing for many years and you are correct on all counts!!! :smiley: