Help with thumbnails and album's images

Good evening.

I’m new on this forum and I decided to register because yesterday I bought a Fuze. I think it’s fantastic :smiley:

I’ve a question. I don’t know why albums doesn’t have the small thumbnail showing the image of the album (when I scroll them by -> Artist-> album). But in some cases when I select a song from an album, the thumbnail on the upper part of the screen is visualized, and in other cases not. I’ve tried to synchronize Windows MP with the Fuze, but nothing have changed.

Could you explain me how to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 04:38 PM

The Fuze likes images to be 200x200 pixels or smaller and 30kB or smaller (although no-one seems to know what the actual limits are - YMMV!).

There are two ways to get them to display - put a folder.jpg (or album art.jpg) in the  same folder as the tracks, or embed the image in the tracks using a tag editor like Mp3tag.

I don’t use WMP, but it might do one or other of these for you when it syncs.

Anyway, you can use Windows Explorer to have a look in your Fuze’s folders to see what’s there, and Mp3tag to look at the individual tracks to see if there are embedded images. Then you’ll have a better idea of what to do next…

I simply did this thing:

I connected the Fuze to the pc, started WMP, then I selected all my mp3s,  and pressed “synchronize”.

That’s all. The music were trasferred to the “Music” folder on the Fuze, in different albums, but there isn’t any jpg file in the Fuze…

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 05:13 PM

Were there JPEGs on the PC?

Yes, they were on the folders of the albums.

Look at this image

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5663/wmpq.jpg
This is the multimedial album of WMP. To put the album art I downloaded the images on the pc (into the album folder) and put them into WMP.

When I pressed “synchronyze”, all the albums were brought to the Fuze, with all the album art as you can see here

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/189/wmp2.jpg
But the Fuze give me the problems that I’ve told you…:cry:

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 06:44 PM

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 06:45 PM

@alan wrote:

Yes, they were on the folders of the albums.

Look at this image

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5663/wmpq.jpg
This is the multimedial album of WMP. To put the album art I downloaded the images on the pc (into the album folder) and put them into WMP.

When I pressed “synchronyze”, all the albums were brought to the Fuze, with all the album art as you can see here

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/189/wmp2.jpg
But the Fuze give me the problems that I’ve told you…:cry:

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 06:44 PM

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 06:45 PM

Try dragging and dropping the music directly . Find the music folders in My Computer/Windows Explorer, and if the album art jpgs are there, then you should be able to directly transfer it to your Fuze, bypassing WMP. If the art is there in the folder to begin with, then it won’t be lost in transfer as it sometimes is with WMP. :wink:

Also make sure they are named proerly for the Fuze. If has to be called either folder.jpg, or album art.jpg. WMP will just read any image in the folder regardless of name.

So I have to delete all the songs in the Fuze, rename all the images in the album folders (so if there is a .jpg in the Samurai album I have to call it “Samurai.jpg” ?), and transfer all the music again on the Fuze?

But all this jpg files where will go? They will be visualized as albums art and thumbnail correctly? Or they also will go to the “photo” menu on the Fuze?

Thanks

@alan wrote:

So I have to delete all the songs in the Fuze, rename all the images in the album folders (so if there is a .jpg in the Samurai album I have to call it “Samurai.jpg” ?), and transfer all the music again on the Fuze?

But all this jpg files where will go? They will be visualized as albums art and thumbnail correctly? Or they also will go to the “photo” menu on the Fuze?

Thanks

Nope! Plug the fuze in and open it up like its a hard drive. Go to the album folder find the jpg, and right click on it and choose rename and type this

folder.jpg

Then they should work.

He really meant folder.jpeg, not renaming each one to album names. The files will be right in with the music…they are on mine. I’ve never had them end up in the photo menu.

Okay I’ll try. Soon I’ll write if it works :wink:

Yes it worked, nut I don’t know why :smileyvery-happy:

I tried to rename the jpg into folder.jpg, but my a message error appeared saying that was impossible to use that name. So I selected  “view system files” and I discovered that there were already some of this folder.jpg files in the albums, and they were system files, and so they were hidden!

So I placed the files where they were missing and now this problem is solved :smiley:

Now I’ve only to fix the “genres” of the songs, because WMP and other auto-taggers have done it wrong.

How can I rename all the genres in a move?

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 09:08 PM

@alan wrote:

Yes it worked, nut I don’t know why :smileyvery-happy:

I tried to rename the jpg into folder.jpg, but my a message error appeared saying that was impossible to use that name. So I selected  “view system files” and I discovered that there were already some of this folder.jpg files in the albums, and they were system files, and so they were hidden!

So I placed the files where they were missing and now this problem is solved :smiley:

Now I’ve only to fix the “genres” of the songs, because WMP and other auto-taggers have done it wrong.

How can I rename all the genres in a move?

Message Edited by Alan on 03-24-2009 09:08 PM

Good to see your album art showed up!. Just how wrong are the genres?  To fix them, then you’ll get the recommendations to try MP3Tag or EasyTag. I’ve never used either one myself, but I don’t see the genre tag as very important. When I go to listen, I either shuffle through everything, shuffle through one artist’s stuff, or (mostly) just choose an album and play it.:smiley: But look into those tagging programs, if you wish to go through and edit all your tags…people speak highly of both of them.  

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 03-24-2009 04:14 PM

Yes I know that genres are not important, but for exeample, if I’d like to listen to folk metal, I choose the genre, activate the shuffle and that’s it, I listen to a random folk metal playlist :wink:

I’ve never used those program too, but as I said before the tagger of WMP and Winamp had failed. I’ll try those you suggested me. Thanks :smiley:

@alan wrote:

Yes I know that genres are not important, but for exeample, if I’d like to listen to folk metal, I choose the genre, activate the shuffle and that’s it, I listen to a random folk metal playlist :wink:

I’ve never used those program too, but as I said before the tagger of WMP and Winamp had failed. I’ll try those you suggested me. Thanks :smiley:

Good luck! I hear what you’re saying about the genre’s…I have been rather amused by the automatic taggers’ genre tags. The same band could be 3 different genre’s for 3  albums. It hasn’t affected my listening, but I can see how it could affect yours. I’m sure if you have questions about MP3Tag or EasyTag that any number of people here will be able to help :smiley:

Hey,

I have used MP3tag and it works better than magic.From MP3tag you can edit album art and other information including Genre.Try it out it never ever failed me!

Another thing,hey Marvin I have album art for most of my songs.I put the art by the drag and drop method of individual art after naming them as albumart.jpg.And the art showed up nicely on my fuze but it also showed up under Photos on my fuze.To get rid of the art on my Photos I had to hide the album art through my computer and it worked perfectly!But after I settled in MP3tag, I tagged some art in mp3’s and synced them using WMP but I didn’t get the art on the fuze.I also tried the drag and drop method but unfortunately I didn’t get the art through that process either!

Can someone tell me a way to get the art on my fuze without using the drag and drop method of art! 

Thanks,

SR 

@sr_rox wrote:

Hey,

I have used MP3tag and it works better than magic.From MP3tag you can edit album art and other information including Genre.Try it out it never ever failed me!

Another thing,hey Marvin I have album art for most of my songs.I put the art by the drag and drop method of individual art after naming them as albumart.jpg.And the art showed up nicely on my fuze but it also showed up under Photos on my fuze.To get rid of the art on my Photos I had to hide the album art through my computer and it worked perfectly!But after I settled in MP3tag, I tagged some art in mp3’s and synced them using WMP but I didn’t get the art on the fuze.I also tried the drag and drop method but unfortunately I didn’t get the art through that process either!

Can someone tell me a way to get the art on my fuze without using the drag and drop method of art! 

Thanks,

SR 

The drag and drop method is the only way I’ve consistently gotten art onto the Fuze…but it never showed up in Photos for me. I don’t have any alternate method to teach you, sorry

Sr-rox I had this problem too (wow now it’s me that give suggestions :smileyvery-happy: ), but as I said before, I noticed that activating the visualization of the system files, I noticed that after placing the album art in the multimedial catalogue with WMP, in the album folders appeared “hidden” files called folder.jpg. So I copied all the albums on the Fuze and after that I deleted the files ( not the system hidden files, but the common jpgs that I used as a album art on WMP), and they disappeared by the “photo” menu on the Fuze :smiley:

Message Edited by Alan on 03-25-2009 09:56 AM

Alan and SRROX,

I have had this weirdness too.

Sometimes, despite the fact that the jpeg is properly named and dropped into the CD folder, it won’t display.  Most of the time it does but I have had the jpegs show up in PHOTOS too! 

Plus, if you send the CD/folder to someone else or transfer it to another device, there’s no guarantee that THAT new device/user is going to get art.

Best to just use MP3TAG and imbed the art.  Works very well!

Highlight ALL the files, drag and drop the image/jpeg to the “blank spot”…and then SAVE.  You’ll quickly have every tune with imbedded art.  So even if you copy or send one tune to a friend or another folder, it will still have the art without all this foolishness of additional folders everywhere.

MP3TAG will easlily let you selct all the files and then set the Genre, Album Name or Artist for all the files in one quick motion.  (As well as fix or change track numbering, file names, etc)

If art get’s lost for some reason or never got properly included in the ripping process, go to Google and search for the name of the music, then click Images.  You’ll get a big list of images.  Select one that is 200 x 200 or less.  (Actually I don’t think there’s a small limit for MP3TAG use, but might as well stay small since the larger sizes are not going to do you any good)

Have fun!

Message Edited by blackdog-sansa on 03-25-2009 02:19 PM