help with microSD card insertion please?

My problem is that the card won’t stay in place but keeps popping out. With or without the skin it seems that even when I’m really careful, I’ll suddenly realize that the card is missing. Fortunately, I’ve been able to locate it each time, but it almost seems to pop out of its own accord…anyne else have this problem?

@drchelito wrote:
My problem is that the card won’t stay in place but keeps popping out. With or without the skin it seems that even when I’m really careful, I’ll suddenly realize that the card is missing. Fortunately, I’ve been able to locate it each time, but it almost seems to pop out of its own accord…anyne else have this problem?

Sounds like the card is not getting pushed into the slot far enough to engage the locking mechanism, so the helper spring (to remove it) is pushing it out at random. Make sure you are pushing it in until the top of the card is flush with the player, and if you listen carefully, you’ll hear the click-click when the lock engages. Sometimes you might have to push it in even slightly further than the surface of the player. Use your fingernail against the card & not just your finger to get it in far enough.

Also I would remove any leather/silicone/plastic case or skin before trying to insert the card. Most of them have an slot or opening for access, but you really can’t push the card in far enough to engage with these things on.

If, after you’ve tried everything, and it simply won’t work, take it or send it back for an exchange if it’s still under warranty. This isn’t something you can fix yourself.

A couple of after-thoughts . . .

Just so we don’t ignore the obvious (and I know this is going to sound stupid, but), make sure there is nothing in the card slot (remnants of another card, a piece of paper or thin cardboard, etc.). Not saying you stuck anything in there, but who knows; stranger things have happened :wink: . Unless you’ve got really, really good eyesight, you’ll need a strong light and magnifying glass to peer into this wee slit.

Another obvious thing we haven’t discussed is the condition of the card itself. Is it new? Or is it an older one that has been used in another device (cellphone, etc.) Look at the card carefully (again with the magnifying glass) and check out the “hump” along the edge of the card. This is what the engaging mechanism grabs on to lock it in place. The corners should be sharp & pronounced. The edge of this “hump” closest to the player as you insert it might be “slightly” rounded off, but the back edge should be a very sharp 90° angle. If this edge is rounded or broken off, that could be your problem.

Good Luck & let us know the results.

The card is a brand new sandisk 4 gig, no other card has ever been inserted, so no remnants there, it clicks in all the way and is flush with the case…that is why it’s such a mystery as to why it keeps popping out! I tried putting a piece of tape over the opening, but then the card popped out part way and caused some strange error messages on my napster software. I must admit, I can’t figure it out…

@drchelito wrote:
The card is a brand new sandisk 4 gig, no other card has ever been inserted, so no remnants there, it clicks in all the way and is flush with the case…that is why it’s such a mystery as to why it keeps popping out! I tried putting a piece of tape over the opening, but then the card popped out part way and caused some strange error messages on my napster software. I must admit, I can’t figure it out…

Boy, neither can I. If you can hear or feel it click in, it should stay there until you push it again to release it. If it’s coming out on its own, the locking mechanism must be whacked. Well, we tried all the obvious possibilites . . . is it new enough that you can exchange it under warranty?

Probably can return it to office depot, got a great deal on it, but I’ll see if it keeps doing it. My only take is that the button is ultra sensitive and that somehow it keeps getting triggered. I’ll see how it does with the skin, it does offer more clearance…thanks for the help!

We are talking about subtleties here, and it’s challenging to use language accurately, but here goes.

On my device, I have to really push the little ■■■■■■ in.  It actually goes in futher than “flush” and then clicks into place and returns to “flush with the exterior” status.

I use the fleshy part of my thumb tip and really push it in.

When removing, you need to do this in reverse obviously.  That means you need to push in the end of the card further in, and then release it.  I do use the thumb tip but the only way I can do this reliably is with my thumbNAIL. 

And once my nail edge slipped off the card and that damned thing was spring-loaded and sailed across the desk area like it came out of a pea shooter.  And it’s frigging little!  So I could see how you could lose one for good.

Anyway…technology!

Thank you all for the feedback. So far it has not popped out again, but I will take all your advice to heart.

Happy trails!

Hey Gang ! 

Just ordered a refurb - 4g Sansa-e260 from a Ebay auction ( being sent from a Dearlership in Calif. ) and need to know if there is a limit to the microSD card size ?  2g ? 4g ? 8g ? that this unit will accept. 

Also, besides MUSIC,  whether these card will handle videos, photos,  & books as well ?

You won’t know until you get it if it’s a v1 or a v2. When you get it, go into Settings/Info and check the firmware. 1.x means v1, 3.x means v2.

v1 takes up to 2GB MicroSD unless you want to install third-party firmware from www.rockbox.org that will let it play up to 8GB (but you’ll have to load the card on your computer or a reader, not in the unit).

v2 takes up to 8GB MicroSDHC

The card is storage. It will hold whatevever you put on it. But various formats may or may not play on the Sansa.  

I’ve had the sansa e280 since august 2009, bought refurbished from compusa with 2 year warranty. just recentyly purchased a Patriot 8 gb microsd to load more songs, photos and to my surprise the card will not stay flush and keeps popping out. after reading this forum, i concluded it needed replacement. To my surprise neither the 2 year warranty through Banker’s Warranty Group nor Compusa will honor the defect as covered by the warranty. What is the point of getting coverage? I just bought 2 more e280s and a couple of 8gb microsds and they’re all going back to Compusa!

Amazon seems a better option given their warranty coverage…

Something to think about when purchasing a new or refurbished…try out the card slot early so that the unit can be returned or replaced ASAP…:wink:

And also, consider how good a store’s warranty replacement coverage is…

I understand the frustration of you all on this one!

Don’t know if anyone has tried this solution but it worked for me.  I bought a nice used e280 for $50 and all seemed to be working smoothly (computer recognized it w/ Vista, began loading songs via usb drag and drop) then I tried a 4 g microSD HC card in the slot and it just wouldn’t stay in.  I have two others so I know how it should click in.  Just wouldn’t stay (although if you held it in the Sansa would refresh and the music would be available on the player). 

Was about to write it off as another 8 g unit but then I tried a firm cover of Scotch tape and it held it perfectly in.  I added a piece of black electrical tape and put my (black) skin cover on it and it’s now fine.  Holds firm and I don’t really see any reason to take it out (unless I wan’t to switch out SD cards).

Easy, cheap and it works!