Help: My e240 has worng free disk information

Hello, all,

I got problems with my e240. first, after I delate all files, I still found some songs in it that don’t show up in computer but only in e240.

Second, the free disk space is only 500mb even I delate all files exept the songs I mentiond above, which was only 100mb. So the correct free space should be around 900 mb.

How can I solve these two problems? I tried windows checking disk but it didn’t help. Can I fix it by formatting? If I format the player, how can I recovery all system files?

Thanks for help! 

Hi Hyuan,

You can use two methods to place songs on your m200 player(s).  One is MSC which is basically for using the unit as a flash drive.  You can place songs on it, but playback is limited, no playlists, etc.  The other is MTP which is the “preferred” method.  With it you can sync from Windows Media Player and use playlists. If you put songs on it with one mode or method, you can’t see them from the other on the PC, but you can see them on the unit.  To be safe, you should format the unit in both MSC and MTP modes and connect in MTP and sync with WMP 10 or 11.  The unit was designed for use with Windows XP and WMP 10.

Formatting does not erase the system files.

Format in MSC Mode

1. With the m200 not connected to the PC, power it on, press the menu key. Select " Settings", then USB , then MSC.
  2. Connect the m200 to the PC via the USB cable.
  3. Right click on the " Start" button.
  4. Left click on " Explore"
  5. Find the m200. It will show as a hard drive, for example: “SANSA M250(E:)”
  6. Right click on the m200 device and select " Format"
  7. After formatting is complete, click on the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon on the System Tray and stop the device.
  8. Disconnect the m200 from the PC.

Format in MTP Mode

1. With the m200 not connected to the PC, power it on, press the menu key. Select " Settings", then USB , then Auto Detect.
  2. Connect the m200 to the PC via the USB cable.
  3. Right click on the " Start" button.
  4. Left click on " Explore"
  5. Find the m200. This time it will not show as a hard drive but as a music device, for example: “SanDisk Sansa m250” Note there is no drive letter in MTP mode.
  6. Right click on the m200 device and select " Format"
  7. After formatting is complete, disconnect the m200 from the PC. There is no icon to stop the device.

Your m200 device is now formatted and ready to reload.

For this and other help for using playlists, etc. please visit my personal website at:

http://www.tnni.net/~walterjmoore/m250/index.htm

Message Edited by Walt-n-Florida on 04-14-2008 08:57 PM

Message Edited by Walt-n-Florida on 04-14-2008 08:58 PM

Thanks you very much. I’ll try.

Oops, just noticed you were asking about an e240, not an m240.  You asked it on the m200 forum.  If my answer works, let me know.  I’m planning to get a Fuze as soon as they are available locally and I understand they are basically the same as the e200 series.