Help me perform an exorcism on my deleted-but-undying phantom voice recordings. Spooky!

After deleting voice recordings from the Clip+ via my PC, it still counts the phantom recordings and keeps them in the menu. Going to the VOICE folder and deleting the recordings does not erase them from the Clip+'s internal menu and tracking. It can’t be worked around by trying to Delete Recordings from either context menu that offers that; the option has no effect. It diligently attempts playback on all 28 phantom recordings in a quick flurry until it gets to a live one, but that’s still two and a half seconds too long! :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a way to just go in with a text editor or something, find where the track data is stored, and go Ghostbusters on the phantom voice recordings? I backed up the files in the main directory when I first got the Clip+, should I just try overwriting with those backups? Can Winamp or another piece of software help me? Has this bug been solved before somewhere?

Thank you for any help you can offer on this, I appreciate it.

I’ve not heard of this before.  Almost certainly, though, reformatting the Clip under its settings will fix matters (but it also will delete all content on your Clip–move/copy the content to your computer first).

Well, that would do it, but I’m interested to know if there’s any option besides the nuclear option here. Any idea where the clip+ stores the directory data for these phantom tracks? I have copies of all the .bin, .sys., .ini and .sdk files that were in the root directory when I first got the clip – would copy-and-pasting those do anything?

It’s so easy to delete files from the VOICE folder on the PC without thinking about it; music doesn’t behave that way. It’d be nice to just clear that data without having to offload and resync any time ya accidentally do this. I’m shocked that I’m the first person to report this bug.

You must clean yourself with holy water and fast for two days to purify yourself.  Then, you’re ready to go on a quest.

Do a search for “ghost recordings” or “ghost files” in the forum.   This happened with the fuze recordings quite a while ago and there are a couple of threads with a work-around that doesn’t involve formatting.   Maybe it’ll work for the clip+.

(edit)

It seems some of the links are broken.  Try this post.  It explains the workaround for the fuze voice recordings.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/FM-Recordings-still-show-up-after-deleting/m-p/110633/highlight/true#M24598

Perhaps an additional way to the above:

Having had some files on my computer that just wouldn’t delete, I found the software “Delete FXP Files” to eradicate them–it works like a charm (and ignore the misleading name).  The current freeware version of the software is a trial version that has a very limited number of free uses, but if you do a search engine search on Version 1.9.138 of the software, you get a perfectly good freeware version of an earlier version of the software, which allows the unlimited deletion of individual files (although not folders along with their contents as a whole, and you need to exit and re-enter the program to eliminate more than a handful of files at a time).  A good tool to keep around.

Perhaps an additional way to the above:

Having had some files on my computer that just wouldn’t delete, I found the software “Delete FXP Files” to eradicate them–it works like a charm (and ignore the misleading name).  The current freeware version of the software is a trial version that has a very limited number of free deletions, but if you do a search engine search on Version 1.9.138 of the software, you get a perfectly good freeware version of an earlier version of the software, which allows the unlimited deletion of individual files (although not folders along with their contents as a whole, and you need to exit and re-enter the program to eliminate more than 5 files at a time).  A good tool to keep around.

I’m not sure if your deleted files actually can still be seen as files–if not, Delete FXP Files might not be a solution here.

After sacrificing a snow-white lamb to Odin, I tried the method in the linked forum topic. I had offloaded all but 6 of the voice recordings to my PC, so it wasn’t too much of a chore to gin up the new .wav’s. Now, like a lich whose phylactery has been destroyed, the files have vanished in a puff of logic. I am very grateful! :smileyvery-happy:

I’ll be back if my Sansa starts playing my voice recordings backwards at me laced with satanic messages. Thanks fellas.

Cool, and good to hear–thanks for the update!  A deleted but undeleted file can be frustrating indeed.