help for a newbie

okay, i have no idea how to get video onto my 8gb sansa fuze. i have looked at a good deal of other messages on this site about the same problem, but it goes right over my head. i have windows media player, and i recently downloaded SMC. i was wondering if anybody can give me some step by step help as to how i can get anything from movies to music videos on my fuze. (i know that movies require extra converting after they are ripped, but thats about it)

please and thanks!

@pandora wrote:

okay, i have no idea how to get video onto my 8gb sansa fuze. i have looked at a good deal of other messages on this site about the same problem, but it goes right over my head. i have windows media player, and i recently downloaded SMC. i was wondering if anybody can give me some step by step help as to how i can get anything from movies to music videos on my fuze. (i know that movies require extra converting after they are ripped, but thats about it)

please and thanks!

So Open SMC, with your fuze plugged in, click on the Add Media button, then find the video file on your pc, and double click on it, this adds it to SMC, then click convert, it should convert the file to one that works with the fuze, and it will add it as well. In a perfect world this would be all you have to do. HOWEVER this is not always the only step. Somepeople have found success with using converter programs like Any-DVD-Converter or WinAvi to convert their videos to ones that meet the fuze’s requirements first, and then ussing SMC adding the video to the fuze. 

how do i even save the video file onto my pc? like, if i wanted a music video, how do i save it so i can open it up and convert it?

@pandora wrote:
how do i even save the video file onto my pc? like, if i wanted a music video, how do i save it so i can open it up and convert it?

Well now, that is huge can of worms to open.   The sources for videos are too numerous to list but Itunes is a good safe start, and get some video podcasts to start with, as they are free and made for Ipods, so they transfer to our Fuzes, usually troublefree.    Start by creating a Storage file on your computer.    You then install Itunes and instruct Itunes to save all downloads to the storage file.   It will make your life far simpler to do that, than to let Itunes save whereever it wants as you will have trouble figuring out where things went later.

Anyway once you have some video downloaded, you close all programs that are running and then start SMC, its pretty basic, but plug in your fuze, and click on ‘import’   you will direct it to look in your storage file where it will see the saved videos, you higlight one or more and click open, SMC will then load the vids into itself.   Once you have all the video in SMC you want to transfer, then click on ‘convert’ and sit back and wait.    It will be slow and take some time so be ready to leave the computer alone for the most part.   I havent had trouble web surfing while it converts, but others have.   After everything transfers, and the Fuze reboots play each vid just for a sec or two to make sure they work, SMC is a little unreliable and none of us knows why, but if there are any that have errors, delete them and reload them with the SMC process, it may take a few times before they work properly.

@ebouc wrote:

@pandora wrote:

Well now, that is huge can of worms to open.   The sources for videos are too numerous to list but Itunes is a good safe start, and get some video podcasts to start with, as they are free and made for Ipods, so they transfer to our Fuzes, usually troublefree.    Start by creating a Storage file on your computer.    You then install Itunes and instruct Itunes to save all downloads to the storage file.   It will make your life far simpler to do that, than to let Itunes save whereever it wants as you will have trouble figuring out where things went later.

Anyway once you have some video downloaded, you close all programs that are running and then start SMC, its pretty basic, but plug in your fuze, and click on ‘import’   you will direct it to look in your storage file where it will see the saved videos, you higlight one or more and click open, SMC will then load the vids into itself.   Once you have all the video in SMC you want to transfer, then click on ‘convert’ and sit back and wait.    It will be slow and take some time so be ready to leave the computer alone for the most part.   I havent had trouble web surfing while it converts, but others have.   After everything transfers, and the Fuze reboots play each vid just for a sec or two to make sure they work, SMC is a little unreliable and none of us knows why, but if there are any that have errors, delete them and reload them with the SMC process, it may take a few times before they work properly.

Agreed, It is far easier to address each source as you try to use it than to generalize. Youtube for instance is not that hard to do, you will need a 3rd party program that will download youtube files (Google it) then you will need to convert that file using another 3rd part program to convert that file (I think Any-DVD-Converter does it), then once that is done, run it thru SMC. and Boom its done.