Has my week old Fuze died? (Now Resolved by Sansa Tech Support)

My father-in-law gave me this 8gb Fuze for my birthday in April.  Amazon FINALLY shipped it last week!  Today, I noticed the songs were playing out of sync with the list…the title showing in now playing did not match the song actually playing. 

I reformated and loaded a couple cd’s back onto the Fuze.   I unplugged it, it refreshed the database, then went dark.

I’ve held the on/off key on for up to 20 seconds with no results.

Is this thing dead??

How this was resolved…

Called Sansa Tech Support expecting to wait for 1/2 hour before getting through.  It took 3 minutes, tops!

Tech guy walked me through the soft reset - i.e. hold the power button in the on position for 30 seconds.  This did not resurrect the player.

He then had me do a hard reset, which I hadn’t seen posted anywhere…

Place the power switch in the “Hold” position.  Press and hold the “Left” arrow key on the scroll wheel and, while continuing to hold the Left button down, plug the sync cord into the player.  

The player powered back up in about 3 seconds! 

Now I get to reload everything and hope it doesn’t head south again…whooo hooo!

Thank you Sansa Tech Support!

Message Edited by Geewiz on 06-24-2008 06:42 PM

Did you update the firmware.

No I didn’t, but it already had the latest version on it.  Been two hours now, and still dead!

Here’s what you’ll need to try:

Plugging in your Fuze in MSC mode (forced MSC) by starting OFF, selecting HOLD (wee orange dot shows at the switch), then holding the << button depressed while connecting, will establish an MSC connection.

Leave your Fuze connected, taking note of the battery charge status.  Do you have a lightning bolt, and is the battery charged after a short while longer?  The battery could be an issue if the Fuze responds only while connected to “shore power” via the cable.

Download and unzip a copy of the 1.01.11 (latest firmware) even though you already have this on your device.  Follow the directions in the Firmware 1.01.11 thread.

With Windows Explorer (My Computer), you will find the Fuze available in MSC mode, as two drives listed under “devices with removable storage”.  The device will be the first listing alphabetically, and the µSD card is the second. 

Double click on the Fuze, and you should have a window with a group of folders.  This is representing the “root directory”.  Drag and drop the fuzea.bin firmware binary file into this box, but NOT into any of the folders. Please note that the file will be 15,360KB if unzipped properly; if it’s small, around 7,500KB, the file is not useable until unzipped first.

Unplug your Fuze, and the NEW COPY of the firmware should install.  Though your firmware is the latest version, that doesn’t guarantee the file hasn’t experienced a glitch on the device!

Are you back in business?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 06-25-2008 07:23 AM

Bob… thank you so much for your expertly precise remedy!  Is I noted in my edited post, Sansa tech support walked me through this process, which restored my Fuze to full operation.

They did not, however, have me try to install the firmware.  

I’ve been operating smoothly now, but wonder if I should follow your final advice and try to install the firmware…

What would you do?

If you already have the latest version and you aren’t having any problems now, then you probably don’t need to reflash.  If you don’t have the latest or experience any other wierdness, then definitely reflash.

2 Sansa Clips not working ???

@pamtheclifffan wrote:

This is a 4 year-old thread and off-topic for this board, which is dedicated to the Fuze player, not the Clip family.

Please post in the Clip | Clip+ board and if you seriously want help I would suggest giving more details. That will save a lot of back & forth trying to determine your problem and potential solution. :wink:

@pamtheclifffan wrote:

This is a 4 year-old thread and off-topic for this board, which is dedicated to the Fuze player, not the Clip family.

You should post in the Clip | Clip+ board and if you seriously want help I would also suggest giving more details. That will save a lot of back & forth trying to determine your problem and potential solution.