Gets stuck at "Refreshing Media"

Hi there,

my Clip Zip 4 GB was purchased in 2012 and has been used quite a bit.

Last week I took it to gym. Somehow it got exposed to my sweat. It switched off by itself. I tried to switch it on but it wouldn’t work. I rinsed it with destilled water and put it in dry rice for about 2 days. It booted but got stuck at the “flower” boot screen. I reset it a couple of times and at some stage it worked again e.g. playing music or using the radio. However, whenever I switch it off the problems reoccur. When I switch it on it freezes again.

I can booted it up to MSC. I updated the firmware but when re-booting after the update it gets stuck at “Refreshing your Media”. I also formatted the internal memory (FAT32 and default sector size).

I have tried everything whatever I could find as a solution on this forum and the internet. Nothing seems to work. Any other suggestions or do I have to face the fact that it is a write-off? Thanks LJ

SOLVED: I flashed Rockbox on it and the little red beaut is working again. Should have done this earlier and save myself hours of experimenting. Strange though that Sansa’s orginal firmware is not working with its very own device!!??

Thanks for sharing the solution. I couldn’t even guess that RockBox could fix this issue! 

@mikkirourke wrote:

Thanks for sharing the solution. I couldn’t even guess that RockBox could fix this issue! 

It doesn’t. It merely bypasses the original firmware. The problem is still there. Using Rockbox is simply a workaround, avoiding the issue. It ‘fixes’ nothing.