Get only clicks when play mp3 made from CD

If I try to play an mp3 that I created from a CD using 3rd-party software, I get nothing but clicks with short bursts of sound.  The mp3 file plays fine on my computer, just not on the Sansa Clip.  I tried reformatting the Clip but that didn’t help.  Any suggestions?

What ripping program did you use, and are you sure it is set to convert ot .mp3 format and not something else that maybe is not supported? An at what bit-rate (192kbps, 256kbps, etc.)?

What ripping program did you use, and are you sure it is set to convert ot .mp3 format and not something else that maybe is not supported? And at what bit-rate (192kbps, 256kbps, etc.)?

I used fre:ac (www.freac.org)) using a Lame encoder set to convert to mp3 format, variable bit rate with both VBR Quality and Quality set to 0 (highest quality).  Does the Clip support only certain types of mp3 files?  Are the restrictions on mp3 format specified somewhere?  Thanks.

All I can suggest is trying a different ripping program and see if that works. Yes, VBR .mp3 files are supported and there are no limitations that I know of in this format.

@coffent wrote:

I used fre:ac (www.freac.org)) using a Lame encoder set to convert to mp3 format, variable bit rate with both VBR Quality and Quality set to 0 (highest quality).  Does the Clip support only certain types of mp3 files?  Are the restrictions on mp3 format specified somewhere?  Thanks.

Make sure the program didn’t write ID3v2.4 tags… you want ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1

I’ve found (embarrassingly) the problem, which it turns out had nothing to do with the recording.  The headphones I listen to most mp3s work fine, but with the different ones I was using to listen to the files made from the CD, the plug caused the player jack to short to ground, resulting in the clicks!  Thanks for the help anyway.

But alls well that ends well! :smiley: