Fuze vs. Mac

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong area:

I have read all the solutions on this website for Mac issues and tried to apply them:

I have updated the firmware.

I have switched the mode to  MSC.

I see the Fuze Icon on the Mac desktop.

When I drag song Icons over to the music folder, it copies and shows them in the folder. The FUZE screen also shows that something is being copied.

But when I eject the Fuse icon and unplug–the Fuze’s screen shows NO songs and says NO SONG when I try to play it. But the INFO area under SETTINGS shows memory taken up.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help appreciated and sorry 'bout the double post.

Glen

That is odd. When you disconnect the Fuze, does it show the “Media Refreshing” message?

My advice would be to hold  the power button in the power on position for 15-20 seconds, then try to power on. This will do a “soft reset”, as in your settings will be reset, but your files will remain on the Fuze. See if the music appears on the Fuze now.

Yes, it shows “refreshing” msg.

Did you try doing a soft reset as I suggested?

Are you sure the songs are mp3, and not AAC? The Fuze doesn’t support AAC. Don’t use itunes to transfer files.

Sorry about the delay in getting back. You’ve been extremely helpful. Problem is that the Fuze is a surprise gift for my wife. So I haven’t been able to mess with it since she came home.

But I think you hit it – the files are the AAC!  How do I keep them from being transformed or translate them into something else.

My Mac automatically opens ITunes, though I go directly to the CD icon and open it.

Again thanks.

Sorry, they are AFF? files.

Did the soft reset–no luck. Still no files.

If the files are already in MP3 Format, drag the original MP3 files into your MUSIC folder without opening them in iTunes.

The Sansa is looking for files in MP3 format with ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1 tags on them.  Convert your iTunes files to MP3, and as long as they have ID3 tags on them, the Sansa will find and play them.

Bob  :wink:

Thanks N-Bob,

The files are in AIPP format on the CD. How do I convert them to MP3–I hunted all over the Mac menus for conversion utility.

ITunes opens automatically, but I ignore it, and drag the files directly from the CD drive to the Fuze.

You’ve totally lost me on the ID3 tags.

BTW, I experimented with changing the extension manually to MP3. After I did, I could see them on the Fuze, but they wouldn’t play properly.

This can’t be this hard, can it?

I recently went through the hair-pulling experience of figuring out how to get a Macintosh to play nicely with a Sansa mp3 player.  The problems, and solutions, weren’t obvious!

There are two problems: 1) converting the audio tracks on your CD to mp3 format.  2)  Copying the mp3 files to your player without all the “._” files that OS X creates on FAT disks to hold Mac metadata about the file.  Those ._ files, still with a .mp3 extension, can drive your player crazy as it tries to play them!

I’ve written a web page on how to get a Sansa m250 to work with a recent Macintosh. The same procedure should work just as well with a Fuze.  See http://guyscharf.wordpress.com/mp3-on-macintosh/

Let me know if this helps.

Message Edited by GuyScharf on 12-12-2008 01:09 AM

Thank you, kindly, Guy:

I’m on the road right now, but I will read your solution with great interest. BTW, i’m running a MacBook with X 10.5.1, if that makes any difference.

Get back to you when I get it to work – no turning back now. I really love the little Fuze, unfortunately, I’m trapped in a Mac word at the present time. I’d hate to buy a used windows laptop just to load the Fuse.

again, tnx

It worked. I just loaded Dylan’s Self Portrait. Kopy Mac is a little sluggish and psycho-intuitive, but it worked.

You are a god to me … thanks.

@gwarchol wrote:

BTW, i’m running a MacBook with X 10.5.1, if that makes any difference.

I think you’ll be fine.  I developed these procedures on a MacBook Pro with OS X at least 10.5 (I don’t remember exactly).  The same procedures worked on a brand new iMac about two weeks ago.

I’m a non Mac user. I just bought a fuse for my father to use for audio books with a Mac. Sounds like trouble to me if Mac can’t handle the mp3 tag issues. Has anyone used the Mac with the “Overdrive Media” audio book program for Mac? ( it’s a Library Consotrium in Oregon for auido books) I’m hoping it will handle the tag issue like Kopymac is said to do.

Also I didn’t undstand if Kopymac is a standard Mac app or a dowloadable app.?? In case Overdrive Media doesn’t work.

The issue with the Mac that KopyMac solves isn’t the id3 tag problem; it’s the additional files the Finder puts on the player if you use the Finder to copy files to the player.  KopyMac doesn’t know anything about id3 tags.

Id3 tag problems sometimes exist, as that problem is independent of whether you are running on Windows or a Mac.  You won’t have id3 tag problems with Overdrive books.  My guess is that you could correct any tag problem with iTunes, but I haven’t tried it.

KopyMac is a downloadable program.  What it does is move the mp3 files to the player without creating the ._* files that the Finder would create if it copied the files.

I’ve never used Overdrive on the Mac.  There are two major restrictions noted in the OverDrive Media Console documentation, including that OverDrive Media Console works only with Apple players (i.e., iPods). Click here for their instructions for using OverDrive on the Mac.

If the stated restriction that OverDrive Media Console can be used only to transfer files to Apple devices is accurate, then I would not expect the program to work with the Fuze.

Also, the Overdrive documentation says “Note that OverDrive Media Console for Mac supports OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks only.”  Only some, generally older, books are in mp3 format.  Most are in WMA format as that format allows Overdrive to enforce an expiration date (mp3 format files do not expire).   I think that’s a big limitation on usability of OverDrive with the Mac.

It would be most helpful to hear from a Mac users who has tried the OverDrive Media Console.

Thanks Guy,

I understand that kopymac does file extension corrections " _*", but not msp3 tags, I mixed it up. I assuming that if the overdrive media only allows the use of an I-pod I can still download the files via the ODM (Overdrive Media- MAC version) and use a drag and drop to a Fuse from the stored file location. If the DRM is not present in a mp3 files it should work.  Hopefully there are some Mac users who may know these issue.

The Overdrive Media in the  Windodws environment works as a “do all” program for the books, down load maqnager, burn CD’s, transfer to MP3 player or listen directly to the book.I don’t imagine that ODM wants to offer a work around to the I-pod only restriction. I will try to contact them and I’ll report back.  

Such a simple concept made convoluted.

PS: ( in Windows)  I fool my sansa E260 using a mp3 tag editor by adding a new genre “audiobooks” to keep them seperate from the music. Lucky the fuse has that build in.  Also the fuse has a resume feature (not bookmarkings but better that nothing like theE260.)

@tallpedro wrote:

I assuming that if the overdrive media only allows the use of an I-pod I can still download the files via the ODM (Overdrive Media- MAC version) and use a drag and drop to a Fuse from the stored file location. If the DRM is not present in a mp3 files it should work.  Hopefully there are some Mac users who may know these issue.

You cannot drag and drop using the Finder. You have to use KopyMac (or equivalent solution that avoids the Mac file system).

@tallpedro wrote:

The Overdrive Media in the  Windodws environment works as a “do all” program for the books, down load maqnager, burn CD’s, transfer to MP3 player or listen directly to the book.I don’t imagine that ODM wants to offer a work around to the I-pod only restriction. I will try to contact them and I’ll report back.  

Such a simple concept made convoluted.

You can do exactly that with Windows.  I download with OverDrive Media Center then copy the audiobooks to the Fuze using Media Monkey (my choice in music managers).

Let us know if you get a positive response from OverDrive.

Guy, Here is the response fron Overdrive Media,

"The Transfer Wizard in OverDrive Media Console works with iTunes, which only supports Apple devices.

Therefore, you will only be able to transfer OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks titles to iPod devices using OverDrive Media Console.

That said, once an OverDrive MP3 Audiobook has been downloaded to your Mac computer with OverDrive Media Console, you can use your regular method of transferring (such as dragging and dropping) the MP3 files to

your non-Apple device.    The default download location for OverDrive

MP3 Audiobooks is ‘Documents > My Media > MP3 Audiobooks’."

I have yet to try this.  I’ll post when tested.