Fuze VS E200 series

hi which is better the Fuze or E200 Series. whats the difference

thanks

Big question.  There have been other threads on this where you can get a lot of info.

One major issue is that e200 series was available in version 1 and version 2.  They look identical but the internal architecture/chip are different.  It seems to be generally acknowledged that version 2 is, in most respects, superior to version 1.  However, version 1 can accept the Rockbox firmware and version 2 (at the current time) cannot.  Rockbox greatly expands the capabilities of the e200.

The current problem with e200 is that they were just discontinued so you will be looking for dwindling inventory among various vendors.  The problem is compounded by the fact that the version 1 and version 2 look identical and contain no identifying marks on the device itself or on the packaging which would indicate what the version is.  Vendors either don’t know about the version difference or don’t care.  The ONLY way to know is to open the package, turn on the device, go to Settings\Info and check the firmware.  A number starting with 1 is version 1.  A number starting with 3 is version 2.  Both versions, stock, have external micro SD memory card capacity, limited to 2gb (NON-HD).  Roclbox will enable greater card capacities on the version 1.

The sound quality on the new (version 2) chip is supposed to be significantly better.

I decided to go for a new fuze rather than a new e280.  Couldn’t deal with the confusion in the marketplace regarding the two versions.

And for only a few bucks more (on the average) I got a new 8gb silver Fuze.

It’s a great device.  Light, nice “lines”, LCD screen is very sharp.  Most importantly, sound quality is greatly improved over the earlier e200’s.  More definition, better bass clarity, greater separation and space. 

External micro SD is now HD, and theoretically unlimited.  So, takes 8 gb and 16 gb currently and should theoretically take the 32’s when they are released.

Assuming that a few dollars will not throw your decision, here’s how I would go:

If you love hacking, get a version 1 e280 and Rockbox it for the increased capabilities.

If you want a fully-functional modern system out of the box, without hacking, go for the Fuze.

Also, the e200 had user-replacable batteries, about $10 on ebay.

The Fuze battery cannot be replaced when it fails.  At least nobody seems to be able to hack that right now. 

Rockbox is working on hacking the firmware for Fuze (sounds like they are well into the first phase) and it appears that sometime 2009 they may have a first “build” for Fuze.  But who knows for sure.

Other than those differences there are some relatively minor differences in operating system/user interface between the two.  Fuze still has FM radio and Voice Recording features.  Fuze does not do the full time-consuming “Refresh Database” routine that the e200 does, as long as the data on the device or card has not changed. (with current fuze .15 firmware, you need to activate the screen (wake-up mode) before shutting the thing off…otherwise it WILL run the Refresh Database.  It’s a bug that SanDisk knows about and they will fix it on the next firmware release.

I really like the Fuze, the screen is slightly larger and I have recently become interested in video on the device.  Sound quality is very impressive.  I do not like the headphone jack coming out the bottom but that’s a minor point.  The touch-wheel is greatly improved over the e200 and is more iPod-like.

I think that about covers it. 

Amazon is running the fuze at just over $100.  Major bargain I think.

Big question.  There have been other threads on this where you can get a lot of info.

One major issue is that e200 series was available in version 1 and version 2.  They look identical but the internal architecture/chip are different.  It seems to be generally acknowledged that version 2 is, in most respects, superior to version 1.  However, version 1 can accept the Rockbox firmware and version 2 (at the current time) cannot.  Rockbox greatly expands the capabilities of the e200.

The current problem with e200 is that they were just discontinued so you will be looking for dwindling inventory among various vendors.  The problem is compounded by the fact that the version 1 and version 2 look identical and contain no identifying marks on the device itself or on the packaging which would indicate what the version is.  Vendors either don’t know about the version difference or don’t care.  The ONLY way to know is to open the package, turn on the device, go to Settings\Info and check the firmware.  A number starting with 1 is version 1.  A number starting with 3 is version 2.  Both versions, stock, have external micro SD memory card capacity, limited to 2gb (NON-HD).  (Hmmm…is that true?  Maybe v2 DOES have greater capacity regarding the card)  Rocklbox will enable greater card capacities on the version 1.

The sound quality on the new (version 2) chip is supposed to be significantly better.

I decided to go for a new fuze rather than a new e280.  Couldn’t deal with the confusion in the marketplace regarding the two versions.

And for only a few bucks more (on the average) I got a new 8gb silver Fuze.

It’s a great device.  Light, nice “lines”, LCD screen is very sharp.  Most importantly, sound quality is greatly improved over the earlier e200’s.  More definition, better bass clarity, greater separation and space. 

External micro SD is now HD, and theoretically unlimited.  So, takes 8 gb and 16 gb currently and should theoretically take the 32’s when they are released.

Assuming that a few dollars will not throw your decision, here’s how I would go:

If you love hacking, get a version 1 e280 and Rockbox it for the increased capabilities.

If you want a fully-functional modern system out of the box, without hacking, go for the Fuze.

Also, the e200 series had user-replacable batteries, about $10 on ebay.

The Fuze battery cannot be replaced when it fails.  At least nobody seems to be able to hack that right now. 

Rockbox is working on hacking the firmware for Fuze (sounds like they are well into the first phase) and it appears that sometime 2009 they may have a first “build” for Fuze.  But who knows for sure.  Sometime anyway…and then all those capabilities will be available to Fuze owners too.

Other than those differences there are some relatively minor differences in operating system/user interface between the two.  Fuze still has FM radio and Voice Recording features.  Fuze does not do the full time-consuming “Refresh Database” routine that the e200 does, as long as the data on the device or card has not changed. (with current fuze .15 firmware, you need to activate the screen (wake-up mode) before shutting the thing off…otherwise it WILL run the Refresh Database.  It’s a bug that SanDisk knows about and they will fix it on the next firmware release.

I really like the Fuze, the screen is slightly larger and I have recently become interested in video on the device.  Sound quality is very impressive.  I do not like the headphone jack coming out the bottom but that’s a minor point.  The touch-wheel is greatly improved over the e200 and is more iPod-like.

I think that about covers it. 

Amazon is running the fuze at just over $100.  Major bargain I think.

I’ve got a e260v2 (currently being RMA’ed) and a Fuze 4GB (bought 2 days ago to replace the e260 - cost less than the e260 as well - £60 at Currys UK).

My e260v2 says “e260v2” in very small print at the bottom of the back of the unit.

The e260v2 will accept SDHC, I’ve used 4 & 8 GB in mine.

The e260v2 only does the long database update if you change content, or insert/remove the uSD - i.e. NOT every time you turn it on.

Sansa still seem to be making new firmware versions for the Fuze. I imagine they will not bother so much about  the e260v2.

IMHO, the Fuze is a neater, slimmer design. But you can’t easily replace the battery (if that’s important to you).

Also the wheel is nicer to use on the Fuze, and it’s not quite such a rediculously BRIGHT BLUE. Could be a plus point for the e260v2 if you want to use it as a torch though.

The RMA? Beacause the uSD slot mechanism packed up. But I don’t think that is necessarily a weak point on the e260.

thanks for ur replys. i think i like the Fuze, its newer, looks very nice :slight_smile: