Before I begin, I believe my problem is unique in that I’ve never read of anyone else having these issues.
Although I absolutely love the performance/cost ratio of the entire Sandisk line (and accordingly having owned the View, e2x0, Fuze, and recently purchasing the Fuze+), I can’t help but be disappointed when my brand-new audio player can’t read my music.
Let me explain; I have a library of roughly 12gb of FLACs, carried over from my 4GB Fuze. Given that I’ve never had a problem with any of this music, I simply dragged and dropped all of these files to my brand-new 16GB Fuze+, expecting nothing to happen.
Wrong, it entered a state of entering the “loading” menu, crashing, and rebooting; and repeated this process indefinitely (I’ve left it on for 2 hours in this state). I then transferred all this music back to my PC, and installed the latest firmware (1.32.00 or whatnot). Following this, I retransferred; lo and behold, it continued to crash repeatedly. As I was on the newest firmware, there really wasn’t much left for me to do but transfer on individual albums to try and see what was going on. Accordingly, I spent roughly 2-3 hours transferring and retransferring music, and on numerous occasions coming close to quitting and demanding a refund from the store I bought this from. In the end, there were something like two albums that were causing problems (for some unknown reason), but I was satisfied overall and didn’t mention anything.
Today, being frustrated with how ugly the replacement backgrounds for album art are, I decided to go and tag all my music. This two-hour process left me with 600 tracks that would theoretically play on the Fuze; what instead happened was that it entered what I now dub “crash mode”, crashing and rebooting instead of loading my music. I’m now currently in the process of doing my second round of transferring-individual-albums-to-see-what’s-wrong, and am highly dissatisfied with my purchase.
So my question to you, Sandisk staff, is why this is occurring, and how I can fix it instead of attempting to bypass it with idiotically time-consuming methods. Here are the relevant circumstances:
Library: ~400-600 songs, FLAC; ~50 songs, MP3; ~13-14GB total.
Songs: 95% Japanese, with English (or rather, romanized) tags; album art now exists, ranging from 300x300 to 500x500 embedded JPEGs.
Transfer method causing crashes: Large-scale transfer of 4-5GB at a time has always caused crashes; individual albums usually is fine.
EDIT: I just got my first error message (after around 30-40 crashes) that there has been a “Database Error!Please Reformat!”, followed by “Sansa will now shut down.” Curiously, deleting all the hidden files and folders on the Fuze “fixes” this database error.