Fuze Connected To PC but only shows some songs.

Hi,

Can someone help me out here, before the firmware update I could connect the fuze to my pc and see the contents, however since the firmware when I connect to the PC I can only see about 150 songs when i actually have around 4500 tracks. 

I have tried changing the USB mode but that does not change anything? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Check your USB mode.  The songs were transferred in the alternate mode from the currently open mode.

Files transferred in one mode are not accessible from the PC while in the alternate mode.

Bob  :wink:

but I already said in my original post that I have changed the USB mode

“Losing” your data by switching to the alternate mode is the most common difficulty.  The files can’t be seen from the PC.  Phantom tracks caused by missing or incorrect ID3 tags ranks a close second.

Check your ID3 Tags.   Are the music files mp3 or wma?

Bob  :wink:

All tracks were visible prior to the FW update, since then I have put a minimal amount of tracks on the fuze.

All my files are in mp3 format.

What difference would an ID3 tag make, surely you should be able to see any file on the PC.

Wow, how did you cram 4500 tracks on a Fuze? :smiley:

Anyway, this almost has to be due to the USB mode.  Files you added under MPT mode aren’t visible to the computer when connected in MSC mode and viceversa.

First, set the player to MTP mode and connect to your computer (don’t use Auto mode).  Note which files are visible via the Fuze device in Windows explorer.  Then disconnect, switch to MSC mode and reconnect.  This time the Fuze should appear as a drive letter in Windows Explorer.  Again, note which files are visible.  I’m sure this will account for the difference.

If so, just delete the files visible in the undesired mode, switch to the desired mode and re-add the files.

If not, then you might have a messed up file system.  Format the Fuze (from the settings menu), select the desired USB mode and re-add all your files.

Be aware also that the Fuze (& probably the e200 series too) has a glitch in the firmware limiting the song count to around 4000 tracks +/-. It’s a problem SanDisk is aware of and are working to fix in a future firmware update. This only affects the song count and playability on the player, not on you computer though.

It’s best to choose 1 mode of transfer (MTP or MSC) and stick with it to avoid the very issue/confusion you seem to be having. Unless you are dealing with DRM encoded files (music or audiobooks), it’s much simpler to leave it it MSC mode and forget about MTP altogether.

Hi,
Thanks for the responses and the advice.

Apologies, i do not have 4500 tracks, that was a typo i actually have 1500.

As for the suggestion of switching usb mode I understand what you are saying but the results for each are the same, I had tried the two different modes prior to posting here because i am the type of person who experiments before asking for assistance.

I feel this is a FW glitch although I seem to be the only one with it which is strange, like I mentioned previously there was no problem prior to the FW update and my usb mode was always auto detect.

If I do a format then I will lose the tracks on my Fuze right? These tracks were self selected by me and I do not sync my fuze with WMP or similair so it would be time consuming to go through the process again.

Have to say that the FW update has been a massive disappointment, you wait all that time for them to provide very little useful updates, with the majority of it being cosmetic, some additional features which are useful for about 1% of owners, while completely over looking the most basic requirements like a good search facility to name just one.

Any way thats off topic and my little rant over with.

If anyone has any other suggestions then it would be appreciated.

Despite this I think the player is great.

“you wait all that time for them to provide very little useful updates, with the majority of it being cosmetic, some additional features which are useful for about 1% of owners”

Exactly my sentiments. The 4000 song limit, improving ease of navigation, and correcting bugs in firmware should  have been dealt with effectively before adding FLAC and OGG support. While some enthusiasts want to use these formats, the vast majority of people use mp3 or WMA. I would much rather have seen the ability to navigate by folders or by tags added rather than having FLAC and OGG support. Hopefully we will get this option added soon.

I hate navigating by tags. I spend too much time editing tags, and I still don’t feel comfotable that I have proper control over my podcasts. With navigation by folders on my previous player, I had the sense that it was easy to play through a group of podcasts. On the Fuze, I am not sure that I played them all.

@capelli29 wrote:

I feel this is a FW glitch although I seem to be the only one with it which is strange, like I mentioned previously there was no problem prior to the FW update and my usb mode was always auto detect.

You can try manually re-installing the previous firmware (back-dating) to see if it is in fact the latest f/w causing your problems or if it is maybe something else.

If I do a format then I will lose the tracks on my Fuze right? These tracks were self selected by me and I do not sync my fuze with WMP or similair so it would be time consuming to go through the process again.

Yes, formatting will erase all content that you ahve transferred to your device, so I’d try going back to the previous f/w version first before ‘taking this plunge’. 

If anyone has any other suggestions then it would be appreciated.

You DO have Windows set to ‘show hidden files & folders’ don’t you?

Despite this I think the player is great.

Great though it may be, nothing is perfect. :wink:

I dont think I will go with the previous firmware, despite the disappointment of the latest FW it is better.

Neither do i fancy the format if there is no soft format which retains the files.

The hidden files and folder is also something that i had previously thought of and look at but I will re-visit that again tonight just to make sure, although why the other 1000+ plus mp3’s would suddenly be hidden is beyond me but worth another look.

No nothing is perfect but as I am against Ipod’s then I am happy with the Fuze if they would just focus on the Firmware and start with the basic things and work upwards.

@capelli29 wrote:

I dont think I will go with the previous firmware, despite the disappointment of the latest FW it is better.

I just suggested this as a diagnostic to either confirm that the problem is indeed with the latest f/w or determine that the problem is caused by something else. If you music suddenly re-appears with the older f/w version, then you know for sure that it is a ‘bug’ in the latest one and SanDisk should be made aware of it. If they (the songs) are still MIA, then you know you need to look elsewhere and the firmware is not to blame.

Either way, you can always switch back to the current version. :smiley:

Ok I checked the settings to see if the files are hidden but they are not.

How do i roll back to the old FW? 

Here you go . . .

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=6553#M6553

Good Luck! :smiley:

Thanks.

I tried that but it did not change anything just showed everything the same and no sign of the missing files.

So Im completely stumped now! :angry:

Stumped you may be, but at least you know now that the problem isn’t the latest firmware update. :wink:

Thats true I guess.

Anyway the problem no longer exists, after I had switched back to the new FW my Fuze and my laptop became quite unstable, and while continuing to search through the Fuze via my laptop, i tried to delete a few artists folders, (I think there were the pre loaded ones that came with the Fuze) the Fuze started to hang and would advise it was refreshing media but then never finsih refreshing media. Equeally my laptop also went a bit screwy, anyway I rebooted my laptop no problem but the fuze I had to try and start about 5 times each time it said refreshing media.

When I hooked it back up to the laptop it had over 6gb of free space so I guess thats the end of that, I then decided to sync it with my WMPand shuffle a selection of songs. 

What I noticed was that these all went in to artists folders, where as my songers were never in artists folders they were all just put in the one music folder. 

Anyway I think thats the end of that issue even though it still confuses me. Maybe I will come across it again as I do prefer to just drop and drag mp3 tracks and not have this artist folder layout. 

Thanks for your help anyways.