Fuze and video out

Hello SanDisk

Does the Fuze support the ability to play a recorded DVD or video clip back out through the USB or Earphone jacks?  If not do any of the other models support this feature?? I acutally need this for work so it will be a good one to show off a SanDisk prodcut !

Thanks!

Bill 

The Fuze does not support video out at this time.  However, the Sansa View does offer this option with the video out cable (sold separately).

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19284

Go Sansa!

@sansame wrote:

The Fuze does not support video out at this time.  However, the Sansa View does offer this option with the video out cable (sold separately).

http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=19284

Go Sansa!

That’s dissapointing.  Then why have the priopritary connector?  Does it at least support audio line-out?  If so, is there a cable available?  If not, it sure would have been nice to stick with mini-USB like the Clip.

The fuze supports line out and remote control using the Sansa Dock.  It does not support Video Out.

So, to get line out, we would need to get a Sansa View A/V connector and just use the audio jacks? I’m surprised there aren’t Sansa cables with USB (for charging) and line-out, since that should work with the Fuze, View, and e series. I’ve been searching…!

@bdb wrote:
So, to get line out, we would need to get a Sansa View A/V connector and just use the audio jacks? I’m surprised there aren’t Sansa cables with USB (for charging) and line-out, since that should work with the Fuze, View, and e series. I’ve been searching…!

SansaMe or SansaFix - can you confirm this is correct.  Just want to make sure.

Also, will there be a cable with just audio connectors?  I plan on using it in my car and it would be nice not to have the extra video connector.

with the docking station, there is already a male port. you slip the fuze on and the docking station interfaces with the fuze. remote controls the dock / fuze.

in terms of audio line out. . . use your headphone port, that IS an audio out. its a 1/8th or 3.5mm TRS jack and if you buy a male to male (assuming you have an aux in on your car stereo) than your golden. FM trasmitters also support the same connector, taking audio from your device and transmitting it’s own FM band. than you tune to that station on your car stereo and vola! music from your fuze.

Message Edited by thoma on 05-02-2008 10:34 AM

@thoma wrote:

in terms of audio line out. . . use your headphone port, that IS an audio out. its a 1/8th or 3.5mm TRS jack and if you buy a male to male (assuming you have an aux in on your car stereo) than your golden. FM trasmitters also support the same connector, taking audio from your device and transmitting it’s own FM band. than you tune to that station on your car stereo and vola! music from your fuze.

Uh, not really.  Headphone output is not the same thing as a true line out.  In general, a true line out will have a much higher level than a headphone out and also bypasses the headphone amp and volume control (although volume control varies from player to player).  Basically, you get a louder, cleaner signal with a true line out relative to a headphone out.  My understanding is that the proprietary Sansa connector provides a true line out.

Now, maybe the Clip and Fuze have a high enough quality headphone amp that when combined with a car stereo that has adjustable sensitivity on the aux in, nothing else is needed.  But in general, it’s always preferable to use a true line out when possible.

no one was talking about a TRUE line out or at least I’m pretty sure I wasn’t. they wanted audio/line out, and as I said, headphone is an audio out. yep you even quoted me on it: "in terms of audio line out . . . " and “that IS an audio out”. where did I say anything about TRUE line out? can you honestly tell me you can hear the difference between the headphone jack and the prioprietary jack? and no, if you have no amp, sound is not going to be louder. the name amplifier also assists its definition. your not going to get a louder signal with no amp compared to something that is through an amp, unless you go through an external amp (car stereo, docking station). given the signal is cleaner, but I’m sure the amp on these devices have been fine tuned to not perform any overloading or audio clipping at average listening volume dB. and lets be realistic here … . ALL audio passes through an amp, otherwise you could barely hear it. ever pass audio straight to speakers without an amp? ever seen monitor speakers not have an amp?

when you talk about these consumer devices, don’t bring pro audio definitions or expectations. if your going to talk about “true” audio out with these devices, maybe you shouldn’t be buying them instead of pro audio gear, but find me a pro audio gear with no amp, and I’ll definetely be surprised.

if your going to to do an amp to amp setup, you turn the first amp down (mp3 player) and the second amp up (car stereo) as needed. if its not enough than you turn the first amp up. but I promise you, you won’t notice the amount of signal lose your thinking of, cause I’ve tried this with my car stereo and clip. I mean what do you think your computer setup is? your computer has an amp, and it goes to your speakers which also has an amp.

I hope you weren’t trying to start a debate which I had no intention about starting to begin with, but in my defence I don’t liked to be snuffed at for no apparent reason, so this is my dog’s bite back. I’m here to help those who need solutions and answers, not debate about the individual concerns related to the quality of these devices based on their understanding of how it should or shouldn’t work or be. leave that for Sansa, who design these players and believe me, they’ll ignore you when you talk about unecessary topics like what you just brought up about “true” audio out.

just my two cents to the dollar, and I don’t normally like to argue, but who can resist a good brawl!

Message Edited by thoma on 05-02-2008 03:27 PM

I was the one who brought up line out, and I didn’t mean “audio out”. Line-in/line-out isn’t some “pro” audio setup, its the basic way you hook components together. My daughter’s cheapo boom box and my not-so-high-end car stereo have a line-in, and I have heard how bad things sound when you use headphone output into those. The Sansa Fuze already has line-out in the jack - this is why the View cables work (for audio).

We’re not asking Sansa to provide some high-end capability; We’re just looking for a cable to make use of the signals that are already there. All it takes is the right cable. I’ve been asking cable vendors, maybe one will come through.

thoma, chill dude.  The term “line-out” was used several times in prior posts.  Your post implied that there’s no difference between headphone out and line-out, or at least that I shouldn’t care about the difference.  I’m saying that there is a difference, and that it’s not just some esoteric high-end audiophile concern.  As bdb said, it’s a basic capability that the Fuze already has, we’re just looking for the right cable.  No reason to get all bent out of shape.

no, I still can’t see why all this effort is placed into finding your precious line out because at this level of technology, it really doesn’t matter. it’s like truly wasted effort in my view, because I doubt the quality is going to be noticeable.  It’s like shopping for groceries, then driving to another store to save 10-30 cents on fruit, when driving to the second store costed you more than 10-30 cents on gas.

but as you said, no reason to get bent out of shape, but realize that those cables are not cheap to make, at least not as cheap as making 3.5mm cables and not only would finding them be a waste in time, but possibly a waste of money to obtain what perceptually the same quality.

@thoma wrote:

no, I still can’t see why all this effort is placed into finding your precious line out because at this level of technology, it really doesn’t matter. it’s like truly wasted effort in my view, because I doubt the quality is going to be noticeable.  It’s like shopping for groceries, then driving to another store to save 10-30 cents on fruit, when driving to the second store costed you more than 10-30 cents on gas.

Well, I guess I’ll have to respectfully disagree.  If nothing else the difference in level would be extremely obvious to anyone who tried it both ways.  Now, whether they would care or not is certianly a matter of personal opinion.  But to say it wouldn’t be noticeable just isn’t true.  Anyway, I think enough said on this topic…

Canthe fuze use the view av cable as they both have the 30 pin adapter?

It uses the same cable, but video-out is not enabled in the firmware.

The Fuze does not have a video out hardware,  therefore it cant be enabled by firmware or other means.

@sansafix wrote:
The Fuze does not have a video out hardware,  therefore it cant be enabled by firmware or other means.

Really? Then what about this : http://www.cellularfactory.com/mp3/SANDISK/4/38227/432810/

Note, however : Name of product is SANDISK Sansa Fuze Retractable TV Out AV Composite Cable. But in Product Summary section there is no mention of the word FUZE, it only mentions Sansa VIEW, NOT Sansa FUZE. So is this cable compatible with Sansa FUZE?

@thoma wrote:

in terms of audio line out. . . use your headphone port, that IS an audio out. its a 1/8th or 3.5mm TRS jack and if you buy a male to male (assuming you have an aux in on your car stereo) than your golden. 

I haven’t tried it, but from what I’ve read the audio out through the docking connector maintains a separate volume setting so you don’t have to keep adjusting the volume  up and down when you switch between earphones and line-out. 

mnong wrote:

@sansafix wrote:

Really? Then what about this : http://www.cellularfactory.com/mp3/SANDISK/4/38227/432810/

Note, however : Name of product is SANDISK Sansa Fuze Retractable TV Out AV Composite Cable. But in Product Summary section there is no mention of the word FUZE, it only mentions Sansa VIEW, NOT Sansa FUZE. So is this cable compatible with Sansa FUZE?

No.

I have a Griffin Powerdock on my dashboard connected to the line in on my head unit. Works a treat.