Fuse doesn't work on home stereo

I’ve been looking around the forum for a while and I can’t find a clear answer to my question, so here it is. Can I connect the Sansa Fuze to my home stereo using a line out on the 30 pin connector with a A/V cable? 

I’ve had a Sansa View for a while and I purchased an A/V adaptor for it so I can connect it to my home stereo and it works just fine. One end has the usual red/white/yellow (right/left/video) RCA plugs and the other has the 30 pin Sansa proprietary connector. I bought my girlfriend a pretty pink Fuse and it doesn’t appear to work with the same cable on the same stereo. I’m assuming it has a line out in the 30 pin connection, because I also bought a car FM transmitter for the fuse that uses the 30 pin connection and it works just fine. Does the FM transmitter, for some reason, obtain the signal a different way than the A/V cable does? As there any reason why I shouldn’t be able to listen to music on my home stereo using with the Fuse using an A/V cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

make sure the songs or in mp3 format or you might have to use mcd??mode??? is that the name

Sorry the View Cable is not supported by Fuze for Line out only.  The Sansa base station and speaker docks are supported however.

Your best bet is to get a headphone to RCA stereo cable from Rat Shack and turn the volume to the max. 

Nay, thou must use things of sufficient coolness with thine Fuze!

The 3.5mm > dual RCA cable works well, but check this baby out

Now, that’s better.

Enjoy your Fuze on the BIG speakers!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

So, why does the Fuze work as though it has a line out on the FM transmitter and docking stations, but not the A/V cable?

Does that PowerDock work with both the Fuze and the View? That could be pretty sweet solution to my problem; a little pricey but not to bad. I’m definiely not a fan of using the headphone jack.

Thanks again for the info.

@e_rock wrote:

So, why does the Fuze work as though it has a line out on the FM transmitter and docking stations, but not the A/V cable?

Based on Sansafix’s previous clarification on this topic, I’m holding out some hope that this may be addressed in future firmware.  Not a whole lot of hope mind you, but some hope. :smiley:

A line-out capability over a simple cable is really needed.  A dock is OK (though pricey) for a home stereo, but not really viable for car or other on-the-go use.

I’m currently using the headphone-out solution in my car, but to get a decent level I’ve got to have the Fuze volume on max, the custom EQ boosted across all frequencies and the input gain on the head unit cranked up.  The result is still pretty decent, but it would be a lot better not have to do all that boosting and just have a normal line level output.

Okay, class, let’s hit the chalkboard (okay, everyone likes those goofy dry erase boards these days- it’s a conspiracy, I tell you!):

A/V cable, about $20-30.

Griffin power dock, replete with a cool cable included, $39.

So, how cheap would you like?  I am impressed with that price.

And the wizenheimer with the pocket calculator gets an old school dusty chalk eraser-  zzzzzzat!

I lobbed that baby underhanded. 

Actually the Griffin Powerdock can be purchased from Amazon for $26.35, with free shipping. Some sites have it for under $20, but shipping will likely be additional.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The 3.5mm > dual RCA cable works well, but check this baby out

Nice, but WHITE??? I know some of the newer players (FUZE, CLIP, etc,) come in different colors, but it’s hard to beat ‘basic black’. Besides all the e200 series are black! Why the H - E - Double Tooth-Picks would any company make a docking station in white?

Good price, though I still prefer the sleek lines of the Sansa Base Station. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have an adaptor for the FUZE.

This kinda looks like one of those new ‘Smart cars’. Just plug your Sansa into the sun-roof. :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 08-12-2008 07:25 PM

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 08-12-2008 07:25 PM

@neutron_bob wrote:

Okay, class, let’s hit the chalkboard (okay, everyone likes those goofy dry erase boards these days- it’s a conspiracy, I tell you!):

A/V cable, about $20-30.

Uh, how about $7 shipped.  This is where I got mine.  That’s a pretty significant difference.  And the Sansa Base Station is more expensive still.

But price isn’t really the issue.  For those of us looking for car connectivity a dock is less than ideal to say the least.  We just need a simple cable.  Or say you want to hook your Fuze up to your friends stereo.  Do you rally want to drag your dock around or just grab a cable?

I still don’t understand what lets the Fuze play through a dock, but not through the cable. Is it a different combination of pins or does the dock send a signal telling the Fuze to turn on a line out or is it something else completely?

Anyways, the price isn’t a big deal, but I’ve already got the cable for my View, so it would have been nice to be able to just plug in the Fuze without having to buy anthing else. Plus, like Skinjob said, it would be a bit more convenient for the car or using at a friends house if we could just plug in a cable. I do kind of like the idea of the remote that comes with the Sansa base station, though.

@e_rock wrote:

I still don’t understand what lets the Fuze play through a dock, but not through the cable. Is it a different combination of pins or does the dock send a signal telling the Fuze to turn on a line out or is it something else completely?

Can’t seem to get a straight answer from Sandisk, but here’s the current speculation.

Fuze relys on the “Dock Detect”  signal being pulled high to select line out mode.  The view cable is passive and pulls a signal to ground,  which the Fuze is not monitoring.

@sansafix wrote:

Fuze relys on the “Dock Detect”  signal being pulled high to select line out mode.  The view cable is passive and pulls a signal to ground,  which the Fuze is not monitoring.

Ok, fair enough and it does sound like something that can be fixed via the FW, which would be sweet.:wink:

Its odd that Sandisk doesn’t sell or support any cables for line-out. This and the e-series are very small players, and there should be better solutions than a big dock.

Sorry to dissapoint but the hardware does not connect to the Cable detect pin,  it cant be fixed in firmware.  THe new Griffin power dock is small and it charges your device. Consider that as a solution.

@sansafix wrote:
Sorry to dissapoint but the hardware does not connect to the Cable detect pin,  it cant be fixed in firmware.  THe new Griffin power dock is small and it charges your device. Consider that as a solution.

Wow, this is really a bummer.   What is the “new Griffin power dock” you mention?  The only one I’m aware of has been discontinued.  Is there a new model replacing it?

Man, talk about bad timing.

Griffin has a sudden NEW MARKET for this product, and is missing the boat.

I see that the Fuze isn’t listed among the compatible devices, but it most apparently will work, if the big View fits the dock! 

Bob  :dizzy_face: 

@sansafix wrote:

If it can’t be done automatically from the hardware, how about the possibility of a FW setting to manually enable line-out?  For example You could have something like Settings->Output mode: Headphones, Line-out.

That would work,  but its not in our GUI spec. One problem is users might forget about the setting and when they connected their headphones they would hear no sound and would think the device is broken and call tech support.

Another trick would be to “hack”  the view cable and put a pull up on the dock detect pin.