Fuze and video out

Does the View cable work for audio on the Fuze?  I should have a View A/V cable next week so I can try it out unless doing so will brick my Fuze.

Line out was discussed quite a bit about a year to year and a half ago (the discussion was around making a Line Out adapter).  Essentially, it was stated by a Sansa expert (I seem to remember that he was a Sansa employee, but could be mistaken) that the Sansa Fuze does not have a “true” line out.  As a “true” line out would bypass both the volume control and the equalizer (I am sure it is a bit more complicated than that, but it is simplified explanation coming from a non-audiophile based on what was written about a year/year and a half ago, so take it as that).  In the case of the Fuze, the line out bypasses the volume control, but not the equalizer, so that if you use the equalizer with your earphones and then plug the Fuze into a dock (or in my case, I use an FM transmitter in my car that is specifically for Sansa products), the sound coming out will still be through the equalizer.  Essentially, the Sansa expert said that if you max the volume on the earphone out, you will get about the same output that you would get through the line out (he mentioned that it is not exactly the same but close enough that it didn’t make sense to fab up a special cable to get the line out).  The advantage of using a line out is that you can set the volume to where you want it, while listening using earphones, and then when you use it in your car, home stereo, etc. via the line out, you don’t have to jack the volume all the way up and hope you remember to turn it back down before you go back to using it with your earphones.   

Paul

The View cable does not work with the Fuze. There is no video out with the Fuze.

I read through much of that and the info on anthingbutipod.  Still looking for an answer on whether or not the View A/V cable will provide the audio output of the fuze.

I can’t say I’ve tried it, but consider that dockstations are compatable, so why not the cable? (for audio out, you just won’t get video)

Message Edited by donp on 01-08-2010 11:23 AM

Once the cable arrives, I will.  I also ‘discovered’ the base station is available from the SanDisk store.  Just ordered one of those so my 7 year old and I can dock our Fuzes and my View.

Hmmm, pinout must not be exactly the same.  The View A/V cable worked with the View but not with the Fuze.  The View audio played out through my stereo just fine, the Fuze produced no sound.  Note also the volume control on the View did not change the volume out of the A/V cable.  The volume was slightly lower than what I would have expected from any other A/V attachment.  Sounds like the connection is a true “line out” on the View.

SanDisk just shipped my docking station.  I’ll try that and report back.

The internals of the View and Fuze are quite different, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it didn’t work.:wink:

The Sansa View has a unique video chipset from NVIDIA, providing PAL or NTSC video out.  The docking station is nice, you’ll like it!

The Fuze does not support video output.

µsansa

Wasn’t looking for video out of the fuze.  Internals don’t really matter - it’s just the signals coming out.  You can plug lots of different equipment into your stereo amp and most will work but the internals are different.  Standardizing interfaces buys you a lot of flexibility in electronics and computer equipment but it appears SanDisk decided not to do so with the Fuze and the View.

You were right about the docking station - LOVE IT!!

I carry my netbook asus and I can play videos that have been dumped onto the fuze on the netbooks gigantic 9 inch screen. The quality is a bit fuzzy but its entirely watchable and basically turns my fuze into a portable drive.

moped wrote:

I carry my netbook asus and I can play videos that have been dumped onto the fuze on the netbooks gigantic 9 inch screen. The quality is a bit fuzzy but its entirely watchable and basically turns my fuze into a portable drive.

“Gigantic” 9" screen?

Marvin_Martian wrote:

moped wrote:

“Gigantic” 9" screen?

1 more and you’d have

:stuck_out_tongue: