Free 90MB Problem BUT....

Hi all :slight_smile:

I have a Fuze 8GB with the latest firmware, worked all fine until yesterday. I turn it on and it says “free 90MB”, but here’s the tricky part: I doesn’t work anymore when i plug it in via USB. It just keeps showing the 90MB Message, Windows tells me after a while that the USB device i’m connecting has a problem. I don’t have any access to the player anymore :frowning:

Could anyone help me please?

Thanks!

D.

oh i forgot: of course i tried different PCs, 3 of them to be precise…

I hope my Sansa hasn’t turned into a fancy plastic paper weight :frowning:

Try this. (different model, and slightly different message, but same solution)

Thanks for the link, i checked the solution in that thread but it is of no help unfortunately because i cannot get my fuze into recovery mode by holding the |<< Button while plugging the USB in (“hold” is enabled). It still starts up and shows the “please free 90MB” Message. I don’t have any chance of formatting the player since i don’t have a chance of accessing it in any way.

Any additional tip is appreciated

thanks all

Message Edited by Delilah on 06-17-2009 02:23 AM

Sorry for the ‘upping’, but my Sansa still isn’t working :frowning:

Please help, any idea is welcome.

Thanks!

Exactly the same problem here. Anybody know if there’s a way to get the Fuze to reformat itself without using a PC?

lordstobbo wrote:
Exactly the same problem here. Anybody know if there’s a way to get the Fuze to reformat itself without using a PC?

I assume you mean by “exact same problem” you are referring to the fact that you cannot get your Fuze to connect to your computer even when using the ‘force MSC mode’ procedure?

Try different USB ports and/or a new cable.

lordstobbo wrote:
Exactly the same problem here. Anybody know if there's a way to get the Fuze to reformat itself without using a PC?

I assume you mean by "exact same problem" you are referring to the fact that you cannot get your Fuze to connect to your computer even when using the 'force MSC mode' procedure?

Try different USB ports and/or a new cable.

And yes, the Fuze will format itself without the computer but . . . you have to get past the ‘Free MB’ message first.

Sorry, you’re right, should have been more specific. Yes, I still have the ‘Free 90MB’ message. Yes I still can’t connect even when forcing MSC mode. I have tried all USB ports including those directly connected to the motherboard. I’ve tried 5 different PCs running variously XP (SP3), Win2000, Ubuntu, RedHat, without any OS recognising the Fuze even as an external flash drive.

I know you can format the fuze via the on-screen menus when everything’s working properly. I swear, I’ve had to reformat this piece of @$!&*! two dozen times since I bought it.

The only thing I haven’t tried is a new cable because I can’t find a retailer near me who sells them separately. I suppose I could look for one online.

lordstobbo wrote:

Sorry, you’re right, should have been more specific. Yes, I still have the ‘Free 90MB’ message. Yes I still can’t connect even when forcing MSC mode. I have tried all USB ports including those directly connected to the motherboard. I’ve tried 5 different PCs running variously XP (SP3), Win2000, Ubuntu, RedHat, without any OS recognising the Fuze even as an external flash drive.

I know you can format the fuze via the on-screen menus when everything’s working properly. I swear, I’ve had to reformat this piece of @$!&*! two dozen times since I bought it.

The only thing I haven’t tried is a new cable because I can’t find a retailer near me who sells them separately. I suppose I could look for one online.

You may want to contact SanDisk Tech support. You may have a hardware issue that’s covered under the warranty (provided you’re still in the time period).

You have to have the unit OFF and then the Hold switch enabled (power slider clicked down, orange showing) while pressing <<. If it is still turning on you don’t have the Hold switch enabled.