how do I free 90mb?

I formated my sansa fuze to empty the device, i then connected it to my computer to sync the songs in my media player to my device as I had previously done.  I let the songs sync to my device while I did other work on my computer, I did not realize that a lot of the songs did not fit on the device and now my fuze won’t turn on and the message “Not enough space for Music DB, Please free 90MB”  PLEASE HELP!I formated my sansa fuze to empty the device, i then connected it to my computer to sync the songs in my media player to my device as I had previously done.  I let the songs sync to my device while I did other work on my computer, I did not realize that a lot of the songs did not fit on the device and now my fuze won’t turn on and the message “Not enough space for Music DB, Please free 90MB” PLEASE HELP!

Have you tried to reconnect the fuze to the PC and to remove a number of files (say 2 CDs of music) using your sync tool or explorer?

Cheers

Roland

Despite what the message says, that error is not (usually) caused by a lack of free space.

The solution (along with the solutions to many other common problems) is found in the Fuze FAQ.

@gwk1967 wrote:

Despite what the message says, that error is not (usually) caused by a lack of free space.

The solution (along with the solutions to many other common problems) is found in the Fuze FAQ.

Or the less drastic approach in the ‘real’ FAQ.

I have the message,  “Not enough space for Music DB. Please free 90MB.” When I try to restart it to reformat it, nothing happens. My PC doesn’t recognized the Fuze. I have several Sandisk memory cards for my cameras, I’m a freelance photographer, and the cards have worked great. I bought three Sansa Clips for my kids and a Sansa Fuze for me.  I’ve had a lot of problems with these and won’t buy another Sandisk product if I can’t get the Fuze working again. Any suggestions other than to just throw it away?

Threats and tantrums are not your best option. This is a user forum. Unfortunately, when SanDisk moved the forum it broke some of the older links.

90MB could be an over-full unit.

However, it can also mean a corrupt file. You can try to remove that file surgically or you can nuke the whole unit.

For surgery, try connecting to the computer and deleting MTABLE.SYS, which is the index. When you delete it the Fuze will rebuild it from scratch.

Don’t see it or can’t connect? Force the connection. Open Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer), connect the USB to the computer. With the Fuze off, put it on Hold (slide the power button down to click into place and show an orange dot), hold down the << side of the wheel and connect. 

If you still can’t see Mtable.sys you may have to tell windows to un-hide hidden folders–look in your Help file on your computer for directions on doing that.

Another surgical possibility: Right-click on the Fuze drive in Windows Explorer. Properties/Tools/Error-checking. Run it, and if it asks to save bad chains, say no. That might fix a corrupt file, too.

Still no joy?  Go nuclear. Right-click and Format the drive (to FAT32) from Windows. That will erase all content you have added. Don’t worry, the Fuze operating system files won’t be touched.

By the way, if  you put  “free 90MB” into that search box up there you would have found  something like this:

Many Solutions to the 90MB problem