Problem with Fuze after firmware update.

I updated the firmware and now when I turn it on it says that I need to free up at least 90MB. Well, that wouldn’t be a problem but whenever I plug it in it doesn’t let me view the contents of the Sansa. I have it set to MSC and the removable drive shows up, but when I go to open it, it says I need to insert a disk into the device.

Try formatting it.

Using Windows format? Wouldn’t that erase everything, including the sansa software? I don’t think it would work that way anyway, whenever I right click on the drive the Sansa is linked to, it makes explorer.exe stop responding. If I let it sit till explorer.exe starts responding, nothing comes up anyway. I can’t format it using the sansa because it won’t let me into the menu, just says please free up 90MB then shuts off. This has happened before, but when I plugged it in it let me browse the drive to delete some files. Is there a hard reset I don’t know about. I looked around to see if there was but couldnt find anything.

The weird thing is, that this is actually a replacement fuze. I had the same amount of music on here before with the latest firmware. Basically my screen stopped working on the first one, so I exchanged it, before I exchanged it I just took my music off of the original, and put it on here. I imagine it wants the 90MB to extract the firmware. But I still don’t understand why it won’t let me browse the files.

Wait, It says it needs 90MB for the music database. Is it really that big?

settings>system settings>format.

@imsodamnhappy wrote:

Using Windows format? Wouldn’t that erase everything, including the sansa software?

If you can’t get into your player’s menus, then you can’t use the on-board DELETE function.

Yes, it will erase all you music. No, it won’t delete the Sansa firmware.

You need to force MSC on your player, so that you can right-click on your player’s drive and select ‘Format…’ from the context menu. Do not choose the Quick Format option.

To force MSC, starting with your player OFF, put the lock ON (power slider button down) and hold the REW |<< button while you plug in the cable (already connected to your computer) into the bottom of your Fuze. Continue holding the |<< button until it comes to life and its recognized in Windows Explorer under Devices With Removable Storage alongside your other drives like CD, DVD and/or floppy.

I had it set to MSC to begin with. The problem is that it won’t let me into the removable drive that it’s associated with. It just says that I need to insert a disk into the drive. When I right click on it, it freezes explorer.exe. Like I stated before.

I did however try to do what you said in case for some reason it changed to MTP while updating firmware, same problem still exists. 

I’m pretty upset that there isn’t a hard reset combitnation. That would make this process a million times easier. 

Forcing it to MSC allows it to connect better some times. Try What Tape Said and see if it helps.

Tried it, like I stated before. Same problem exists.

I think there is nothing else I can do. I’ve tried everything. If anyone has any other tips, tell me.

My problem is that it’s not recognizing the mp3 player as a drive. It recognizes there is an mp3 player, but no storage. I have even tried to mount this thing using Fedora Core. Basically gives me the same error that windows is giving me. Tried to format it using dos and terminal and gparted (which doesnt recognize anything is there). Nothing.

Dont know if its been mentioned or if you tried this but, Slide the power buttion up and hold it for 15-20 seconds. Then force it to MSC on the computer, see if it gets recognized. Then run the CHKDSK utility

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-13-2009 03:51 PM

chkdsk was one of the first things I tried. chkdsk only gave me  “cannot open volume for direct access” So basically, still not recognized.

I’m just going to swap it out for a new one. 

Unless there is something else that hasn’t been covered. I’ve basically posted everything i’ve tried. 

@imsodamnhappy wrote:

chkdsk was one of the first things I tried. chkdsk only gave me  “cannot open volume for direct access” So basically, still not recognized.

I’m just going to swap it out for a new one. 

Unless there is something else that hasn’t been covered. I’ve basically posted everything i’ve tried. 

Call Sandisk Tech support. Youve tried everything I can think of, but they know more tricks. Call them up first and if they got nothing then try and get another one.

OK, this may be a dumb question and please don’t be offended by it, because it has to be asked . . .

In MSC mode your computer will see your Fuze as 2 separate dirves; the player and the card slot, whether or not there is a card inserted. Example F: (player) and G: (card). You are clicking on the player’s drive and not the card’s drive, aren’t you?

Yes, I’ve tried to open it with the card in, and with the card out.

I’m not your typical person who posts asking why their mp3 player won’t turn on because they have it locked. :slight_smile: I posted here because i’ve tried everything I can think of. I was hoping there was some kind of easy hard reset button combination that I didn’t know about. 

Maybe Sandisk will put that in for the next version? It would surely make sense!

I know this is a software problem because the hardware is working fine. 

It’s easier at this point to just swap it.

@imsodamnhappy wrote:

Yes, I’ve tried to open it with the card in, and with the card out.

Maybe Sandisk will put that in for the next version? It would surely make sense!

I know this is a software problem because the hardware is working fine. 

It’s easier at this point to just swap it.

I think you mis-understood my point. I wasn’t suggesting trying to run ChkDsk or format with the card in and out of the slot.

I was just trying to assure that you were clicking on the correct drive for the player (Ex. F: )and not the card slot (Ex. G: ), which would give you those error msgs.

I understood your point. What I was saying is that I tried opening the correct drive for the player with the card in and with it out.