Freaky low bass-sounding track plays when headphones not inserted fully and player started

When I insert my headphones a certian way, with them just a little bit out, and try to play any song, it’s not actually like the song at all. I first encountered this with “Swing Life Away(Remix Version)” by Rise Against. For that song, it’s a weird low bass-sounding track with cracks and some creaks that sound like creaky floorboards or doors opening. I’ve never listened to the whole thing, but I’m pretty sure that the whole track’s like it. The player also freezes for a couple seconds on the Sansa symbol, and you hear a small click before it starts up fully. When it does start up, it’s extremely slow and time seems to only pass when the backlight’s on, and even then, very slowly. By this, I mean the second counter, the clock stays perfect. I’m trying to record Swing Life Away right now, when it’s done I’ll upload it. I’ll also try to replicate the way the headphones have to be in again and post a picture.

@demize95 wrote:
When I insert my headphones a certian way, with them just a little bit out, and try to play any song, it’s not actually like the song at all. I first encountered this with “Swing Life Away(Remix Version)” by Rise Against. For that song, it’s a weird low bass-sounding track with cracks and some creaks that sound like creaky floorboards or doors opening. I’ve never listened to the whole thing, but I’m pretty sure that the whole track’s like it. The player also freezes for a couple seconds on the Sansa symbol, and you hear a small click before it starts up fully. When it does start up, it’s extremely slow and time seems to only pass when the backlight’s on, and even then, very slowly. By this, I mean the second counter, the clock stays perfect. I’m trying to record Swing Life Away right now, when it’s done I’ll upload it. I’ll also try to replicate the way the headphones have to be in again and post a picture.

OK.I am not sure whats going on for sure but why not jjsut plug you headphones in all the way like you are supposed to?

@conversionbox wrote:

@demize95 wrote:

OK.I am not sure whats going on for sure but why not jjsut plug you headphones in all the way like you are supposed to?

I must confess, I was wondering the same thing.

::confused::  Why would you not insert the headphone plug all the way?  (I assume you’re talking about the plug into the player, and not the headphones into your ears.)

I know I’ve read about some folks reporting strange noises when the plug is not inserted all the way.  It needs a firm hand to get it seated all the way.

While I don’t believe it will cause any damage to the Fuze or the headphones, you certainly won’t get the sound (quality or volume) that you could get.

Edit - Well, I guess it’s true what they say about great minds.

Message Edited by tenzip on 03-07-2009 10:02 PM

The headphones are weird and require not being in all the way to get the proper sound quality. I actually have to carefully pull the headphone out of the Fuze just a certian amount for them to work. Also, I recorded what the fuze said was 1:00, and I got this: (OGG file) http://d-games.co.cc/freaky%20noise.ogg

I also haven’t been able to successfully replicate it since I posted, but I did manage to replicate it 2 times before I posted.

Oh, and a little more info: It sounds very recorded, but I know that I have nothing on the player that sounds anything like it. And a few minutes it, it starts to sound like there’s some sort of animall or something growling.

Its the song file. I played with the OGG in Audacity for about 10 seconds and was able to tell that something in the way you transfered the file did that. Its probably not the fuze but some combination of your transfer method, Computer, Track file, and Fuze. Try converting the file to an mp3 and see if the file playes normal. If so your all set. If not… Try to re rip the file in some different formats.

@conversionbox wrote:
Its the song file. I played with the OGG in Audacity for about 10 seconds and was able to tell that something in the way you transfered the file did that. Its probably not the fuze but some combination of your transfer method, Computer, Track file, and Fuze. Try converting the file to an mp3 and see if the file playes normal. If so your all set. If not… Try to re rip the file in some different formats.

Um… I recorded that from my MP3 player. It plays normally when the Fuze starts normally, but when it starts and becomes really slow, it plays that. And I believe it’s in FLAC on my player. It might only be FLAC tracks though, now that i think about it, but still. It only happens when I start the player with the headphoes in a certian way.

Here is where I am struggling. Your headphones have no bearing on how your player starts. So regardless of headphones the player should be the same. If it starts slow sometimes then you are dealing with a dud. FLAC playback support should be fine or at least no issues have been reported that I remember.

And I have owned THOUSANDS of Pairs of headphones ranging from $5 to $3000. NEVER have I heard of a pair where you are supposed to leave it a little unplugged for proper sound. Unless you only want one side to work but thats obviously not the case. Can you post a link to where one could buy these headphones.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-08-2009 01:29 AM

Finally! I replicated it! Woot! Here’s a photo: http://d-games.co.cc/PICT0003.JPG

SOrry about the horrible focus… :frowning:

Also, it seems that you actually have to plug in the headphones, then make them like that for it to work. I tried it again after turning the player off and on again and it didn’t happen. And also, my headphone plug looks a little messed up, so here’s a pic of that:  http://d-games.co.cc/PICT0006.JPG

You can’t see it in the picture, but there are 2 thin black bands, 2 thicker red bands(that you CAN see in the picture) and another band at the very base that has 2 thick spots and is thin all the way around except there. I can’t tell what color it is.

Message Edited by demize95 on 03-07-2009 10:40 PM

Yeah I cant see anything in either of those. Could you post a link to your headphones?

I still don’t see the point of this.

@conversionbox wrote:

Here is where I am struggling. Your headphones have no bearing on how your player starts. So regardless of headphones the player should be the same. If it starts slow sometimes then you are dealing with a dud. FLAC playback support should be fine or at least no issues have been reported that I remember.

And I have owned THOUSANDS of Pairs of headphones ranging from $5 to $3000. NEVER have I heard of a pair where you are supposed to leave it a little unplugged for proper sound. Unless you only want one side to work but thats obviously not the case. Can you post a link to where one could buy these headphones.

They seem to have a bearing on how it starts to me, seeing as I’m the one who’s done this. If it were a dud, I would have had problems for a while, since I’ve had the player since October. My headphones might be a bit messed up from keeping my player in my pocket all day, so that’s probably why they have to be a little unplugged. They’re Sony earbuds, so it’s probably not all of them. I’ve also already described the plug: it doesn’t seem to have proper bands. I have no idea what does what on it, but it isn’t supposed to have FIVE different colored areas.

(If I had posted this, I would have edited this in, but I didn’t post it yet)Okay, I tried turning on and off my player, and with the headphones fully in, it did start up slow and play the weird track thing. I have a theory now: My Fuze starts up extremely slowly: what seems to be about 10 times slower. It then plays the track, but 10 times more slowly. I thought that it was the headphones, because it was the first time I put them in and adjusted them before starting the player. But I was wrong, it was just extremely slow. But still, what could be causing it to be this slow? I did recently upgrade to Firmware 01.01.22T… that’s probably it… the t… 

@demize95 wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

They seem to have a bearing on how it starts to me, seeing as I’m the one who’s done this. If it were a dud, I would have had problems for a while, since I’ve had the player since October. My headphones might be a bit messed up from keeping my player in my pocket all day, so that’s probably why they have to be a little unplugged. They’re Sony earbuds, so it’s probably not all of them. I’ve also already described the plug: it doesn’t seem to have proper bands. I have no idea what does what on it, but it isn’t supposed to have FIVE different colored areas.

(If I had posted this, I would have edited this in, but I didn’t post it yet)Okay, I tried turning on and off my player, and with the headphones fully in, it did start up slow and play the weird track thing. I have a theory now: My Fuze starts up extremely slowly: what seems to be about 10 times slower. It then plays the track, but 10 times more slowly. I thought that it was the headphones, because it was the first time I put them in and adjusted them before starting the player. But I was wrong, it was just extremely slow. But still, what could be causing it to be this slow? I did recently upgrade to Firmware 01.01.22T… that’s probably it… the t… 

Its on you at this point… I will say this… The way the player starts is independant of the headphones, unless your headphones have some kind of powersource that is powering the player. You said you had your player in your pocket all day with the headphones in, is it possible your player could have been harmed? Call SanDisk tech support and see what they say. Also Try other headphones.

What I was saying in the last sentence was the firmware version was the weird version. Sandisk has a ton of different versions of firmware that all install using the same file. What I did was change the ‘a’ in the filename to a ‘t’. I’ll try changing it back and if I have the problem again, I’ll post here again.

It has nothing to do with the player… it is solely because the phones are not plugged in correctly - I have had the same a couple of times if I haven’t pushed the plug in.

If your phones need to be slightly out to work - I’d try and make some kind of spacer so you can push them home safely, or use some different phones with a better plug.

Are we really trying to troubleshoot why a player doesn’t act right when it’s not operated right?

Get some new headphones and be done with it.

Have you people even been reading the whole topic? I’ve established that it is NOT the headphones… it’s the player.

Why did you change the A to a T in your firmware?

@marvin_martian wrote:
Why did you change the A to a T in your firmware?

Because I saw the different versions somewhere and wanted to try the T one out.