Please help us by running a test on your Fuze

Download this MP3 file: 

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/tone/files/1kHz\_44100Hz\_16bit\_05sec.mp3

Copy the file to your Fuze. Play the file on your Fuze, and record the audio output from the Fuze to your computer. Upload that recording somewhere, and post a link to it here. 

Please post your Fuze hardware revision # and firmware version.  To find this:

• Turn on your Fuze 
• Select Settings from the main menu 
• Select System Settings 
• Select Info  

• Read the Revision/Version #  (6 digit number, looks like this: XX.XX.XX)

Finally, please post your unit’s serial number.

We are using this information in an effort to diagnose a “slightly slow or fast playback” problem which some users are experiencing.

Thank you very much 

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 07:33 PM

Here you go:
MP3 VBR - 119KB: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yloir3
WAV 24/96 - 2MB: Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way!

Fuze version 01.01.22A
Max volume setting, Normal EQ setting.  Recorded using top quality settings on a Zoom H2 (my laptop doesn’t have a line in jack. D: ) 

My observation: if anything, my recording is a hair faster than it should be.  Adobe Audition says the original tone is centered at 1000.1Hz, whereas my recording is at 1007Hz.

Personally, I’ve never really noticed any difference between my Fuze and my other music devices, but this little test has me wondering a little.

Message Edited by jmr on 02-16-2009 09:45 PM

Verified in Cubase SX3 via Fourier Transform (Spectrum Analyzer).  Thank you!  

If we can get some more people to run the test, we will be able to get a solid handle on this problem.

Here’s mine:

http://www.mattwoolsey.net/test.htm

I can definitely hear the difference between playing the original mp3 on my PC and

then playing the version from the Fuze recorded by the PC.  The Fuze is lower pitch,

i.e. playing slower.

MX21

MX, your playback is 11 hz (1.1%) slow!

Can you post your Fuze’s Revision and Version # please?

Thank a lot for running the test

Mine is Version V02.01.09A.

Sorry to ask for more information, but can both of you guys post your serial #'s too, just for future reference.  Thanks again

Max Hold of on Serial Numbers for a Few Days. But So far its looking like it is only a V2 issue. After this we need to figure out how to tell manufacture batch

Cbox, jmr’s Fuze is version 01.01.22A, isn’t that Revision #1?  He’s 0.7% fast.

I’m pretty sure that we can tell batch# from reading the serial#. I just want to get them to post it now so we have it for future reference, in case they don’t come back to the forum.

.7%? Acceptable range in professional recording (at least in digital production) is <1%. Anything below 1% is deemed not noticable by human ears. Now if the origional was lets say .9% fast (The origional file) the an extra .7% then there is an issue. But I was talking purely Slowness on V2. I would say that some of my tracks are less than .2% fast on my V1. 

I also think we need to say this as a Disclaimer. Just Because we are pursuing this issue on a Few Select players in no way should serve to discourage people from buying a player, Not every player has this issue. The Fuze is an outstanding player. 

Cbox, 0.7% is subtle but definitely noticeable in a side to side comparison.  Put a test tone in your favorite DAW, then downsample it by 0.7%.  Listen to one, then the other.  The difference is audible, at least to my ears and to the musicians who have complained about the problem on this forum.

Why not run the test on your Fuze.  If you think that your Fuze doesn’t have any problems, then let’s prove it.

If you don’t have an audio interface, then just run a male to male headphone cable from your Fuze to the microphone input on your computer. If you don’t have a DAW installed, then download Audacity, it’s free.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 08:20 PM

Since you asked: Serial no:…

edited.

Message Edited by jmr on 02-17-2009 12:18 PM

@maxplanck wrote:

Cbox, 0.7% is subtle but definitely noticeable in a side to side comparison.  Put a test tone in your favorite DAW, then downsample it by 0.7%.  Listen to one, then the other.  The difference is audible, at least to my ears and to the musicians who have complained about the problem on this forum.

Why not run the test on your Fuze.  If you think that your Fuze doesn’t have any problems, then let’s prove it.

If you don’t have an audio interface, then just run a male to male headphone cable from your Fuze to the microphone input on your computer. If you don’t have a DAW installed, then download Audacity, it’s free.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 08:20 PM

I Cant, I have my fuze filled again. I have probably 6-8 CDs to listen to a night, and instaed of carrying them around, I throw them on my Fuze. I have tested. Its Fine. And I agree that .7% especially on top of an already large margin for error would be noticable. 

Just an FYI. This is my last post to a thread on What I consider a non-issue. If more people have this probelem then it is something to pursue, so far its less than .5% of people having this issue which makes it a non issue in my book.

Buk-buk-bukaw!  The test file is only 80kb!  I would bet $100 that you have 80kb free on your Fuze.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 08:38 PM

My SN: B10812BJSK-8GB

0.7% is still way too much for my needs: playing MP3 along with tuned instruments.

That’s a huge amount of error for a digital only device.  If it was mechanical, e.g. a tape machine

or turntable, then maybe that’s ok, but the Fuze should have a crystal controlled processor which

should be more like 0.01% at most.

MX21

Ogg 128kbits 44100Hz  =   http://www.sendspace.com/file/459sb6

Recorded on TotalRecorder V 7.1 High Criteria

Version:  V01.01.22A

S/N:    BH0805AVUK-4G

@maxplanck wrote:

Buk-buk-bukaw!  The test file is only 80kb!  I would bet $100 that you have 80kb free on your Fuze.

Message Edited by maxplanck on 02-16-2009 08:38 PM

When are you going to buy one and test it? You want everyone else to test theirs when you don’t even have one :stuck_out_tongue:

BAD MOVE POSTING SERIAL NUMBERS! You might find your Fuze is already registered by someone who bought a busted unit on Ebay!

Different test method, similar results.

I used an Agilent 53181A (with opt 001, med. stab. oven) to measure the frequency of the player’s output directly. The counter was  calibrated by Agilent last September - i.e. it’s in cal.

I generated 10kHz tones in Audacity at 44.1k & 48k sample rates. I used 10kHz rather than 1kHz because the more transitions the better for frequency counters.

I tried 44.1k first, generating MP3 CBR, MP3 VBR, and FLAC versions.

I loaded the files to these players:

Fuze v1 01.01.22F

e260 v2 03.01.16A (not FLAC)

Both players produced a measured output frequency of 10.069kHz regardless of file encoding. (The observant among you will note that the 53181A has 10 digits. Not surprisingly, only the MS 5 were stable, so I left the rest off.)

I then generated a VBR file from a 10kHz tone at a 48k sample rate. I didn’t bother with other formats, as the 44.1k test showed no sensitivity to encoding type.

Both players generated a measured output of 10.044kHz.

Both players use AMS hardware, so I suppose the similarity in results is not surprising. 

It would be intersting to try other players…

In retrospect, I should have measured the PC’s output for interest’s sake. Maybe I’ll try that later. Better do some work now :slight_smile:

Message Edited by daytona955 on 02-17-2009 12:42 AM