FORUM BUGS

This deserves a thread of it’s own. After attempting to post a follow-up to my thread, my reply did not appear in that thread. I wasn’t sure if the my button-click went through, so I pushed it again, and I got this nasty message on pink background, complete with flashing lights (and I really hope somebody comes after me with guns, clubs, and handcuffs tonight, ‘cause I’m so itchn’ for a fight) - it said: 

Please address the following to complete the message posting:

  • post flooding detected (community got posts of a unique message more than 1 times within 3,600 seconds)

I am really getting sick to death of the flack I get which is caused entirely by incompetently-designed forum software - but then again, maybe it’s no accident, and this is how slimy corporations repress inconvenient complaints.

By the way, I was sort of half-joking, but when I posted an angry smiley on the third line of this post, with the title “smiley angry”, the published result was the “smiley happy”!  Now that’s really stooping low, Sandisk!

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-16-2009 05:54 PM

That means your first post went through. There may be a delay in the actual appearance, but it did post. If it didnt make it to the thread then the problem was not yours the software that keeps spammers from flooding the board mis-interpreted your attempted post. Its not a bug perse but it may have been a mistake.

Put that itchy finger away! It nothing personal against you and has nothing to do with “slimy corporations & how they repress inconvenient complaints.” This occasionally happens to me too, and I’m sure anyone whose been here any length of time has experienced it also.

The system ‘glitches’ every now & again; frankly sometimes I think it’s my computer rather than the forum, but after I hit the POST button, it will take an unusual amount of time to change screens and sometimes I have to hit that button again.

When you get that message, it means that your message DID post to the forum; if you just hit your browser’s BACK button, you’ll be fine.

Relax . . . it’s not a conspiracy. “Just go with the flow, man” :stuck_out_tongue:

Put that itchy finger away! It’s nothing personal against you and has nothing to do with “slimy corporations & how they repress inconvenient complaints.” This occasionally happens to me too, and I’m sure anyone whose been here any length of time has experienced it also.

The system ‘glitches’ every now & again; frankly sometimes I think it’s my computer rather than the forum, but after I hit the POST button, it will take an unusual amount of time to change screens and sometimes I have to hit that button again.

When you get that message, it means that your message DID post to the forum; if you just hit your browser’s BACK button, you’ll be fine.

Relax . . . it’s not a conspiracy. “Just go with the flow, man” :smiley:

Well, it’s now at least half an hour later, and I tried to report on results (none, no surprise) to the advice of a respondent to my thread (“Fuze track order is driving me nuts”), to say that I did faithfully follow through with his advice, and unfortunately the results are the same. This is what I said, as it happened:

“I tried re-applying track numbers to make them synchronous with the alphabetical order of all tracks (well, I meant to say  the order of my track tag TITLES) in my artist-centric test group. It changed the list order some, but there are still some which are out of order, and no evidence within my tag editors to explain why (EasyTag and mp3tag have produced the same results and displayed the same info). So I went ahead with the firmware update, installed the 2x version after determining through my system info that it’s the right upgrade, but the order is still wrong as ever. The only program which fail to display my tags in alphabetical order is Sandisk’s Fuze firmware, therefore the ball is entirely in Sandisk’s court.”

I have never seen such a delay before in forums like these, and then if I can post to this thread, but the other one is held up, well maybe Sandisk will fix that and then they may fix my Fuze problem too. I’m beyond hoping that I’ll get either the fix, the repair, or the money back which I deserve, but at least I have the Web power to fight back when they try to cover up the results of their mistakes. It doesn’t matter to me how rare the occurence of the nightmare which I’ve been saddle with is, but it’s realistic to observe that all enterprises screw up every so often and release a batch from some isolated lot which should have been checked over more carefully. 

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-16-2009 07:01 PM

:robotmad:? That smiley in my last post was not posted by me, and the Edit text does NOT display it! This character was inserted by the forum, and I don’t have the option of removing it, as it does not show in my editing form.  There’s something extremely loopy going on here, and don’t you look to me on this, Sandisk! 

Tapeworm, I went through much refreshing my browser, I went to other pages, came back to my thread which still had not been updated, and it still wasn’t showing my last replay AFTER I had posted THIS thread! I do not believe in conspiracies, I believe only in what is observable, that my observation is that this is unusual and a bit strange to say the least!

No worries, it isn’t an evil conspiracy.  Smileys will appear if you use quotation marks in combination with parentheses for example.  There are other shortcuts separated by :: but if I list them we’ll see :smileyvery-happy: for example.

 

Just a footnote: please refrain from the ubiquitous “WT*” as it often is read as offensive, even though it’s understood.

 

µsansa

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-16-2009 07:15 PM

Message Edited by microsansa on 08-17-2009 06:30 PM

I think you should have chosen Black Sabbath as you registered screen name, 'cause you’re

@tapeworm wrote:

I think you should have chosen Black Sabbath as you registered screen name, 'cause you’re

 

This might have something to do with it…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRG7W7qQF0&feature=related

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 08-16-2009 10:24 PM

Well, Tapeworm, one who could make me appear paranoid could excuse himself of having to honor my complaint, and you are a Sansa Guru. 

I’m not saying you caused the innaproppriate smileys to be posted, for which there is no smiley code in my text screens - I don’t care whether it happened by accident, or if somebody’s having fun with me (I’ve got a big sense of humor), but I’d be interested in knowing what could cause such an occurance. Almost as much as I’d like to know what’s bugging up my Fuze!

@itchyfinger wrote:

Well, Tapeworm, one who could make me appear paranoid could excuse himself of having to honor my complaint, and you are a Sansa Guru. 

 

I’m not saying you caused the innaproppriate smileys to be posted, for which there is no smiley code in my text screens - I don’t care whether it happened by accident, or if somebody’s having fun with me (I’ve got a big sense of humor), but I’d be interested in knowing what could cause such an occurance. Almost as much as I’d like to know what’s bugging up my Fuze!

It can be as simple as needing to insert an extra space in a sentence…if the parentheses are too close to other punctuation a spontaneous smiley can occur

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 08-16-2009 10:29 PM

Yo, marvin, delusions are never caused by alchohol, but they are caused by the sort of drugs used by the people who can stand the sight of that Marvin cartoon! Even people like me, who have a sense of humor would need something stranger than alchohol for that!

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-16-2009 07:43 PM

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-16-2009 07:49 PM

@itchyfinger wrote:
Yo, marvin, delusions are never caused by alchohol, but they are caused by the sort of drugs used by the people who would have your sort of screen name. By the way, I’ve never mocked a person online whose posts describe a product issue which has not effected me, just because I was not myself so unlucky!

As far as my screen name…forgive me for growing up when there were still quality Saturday morning cartoons…and I certainly wasn’t doing drugs as a child

And to your second point…it’s easy to get a little cynical at times reading the tide of problems that go through this forum. If I’d been here as long as Tapeworm I would probably have become a complete ( insert feminine hygiene product here ) by now.  I almost always am simply joking with people, and if they are too uptight due to an issue with an mp3 player, of all things, to recognize someone poking a bit of fun, then I am saddened and dismayed…and even a little bit sorry.

Well, one of us is serious enough about Sansa products to be a Sansa guru, heh, heh!

I’m a bit sorry on this too - sorry that I didn’t buy my Dad a Sony, Apple, or Microsoft player instead. I bought him the Fuze, and one for myself (not really needing it, but wanting to be able to help an older person who had interest in one). Tag management has gone from ridiculously easy with my Sony to really insane with Sandisk, and when I finally got around to unpacking my own, and saw enough comparable problems to worry what he may have gone through trying to make it work.  Oh, he probably never heard of tags, like I hadn’t before I got my Sony last year - just rips his James Taylor CDs, transfers and lets them play without caring enough to persue the display information, but I still feel responsible for any possible issues. This is what’s got me upset -  if it were my problem only, I’d either get my money back or give it away. 

Anyway, nobody likes getting his head kicked by an electronic  device, and it’s disturbing after you’ve spent so much time jumping through hoops as advised, just to hear the gurus deny your problem exists.

Also, Sansa products are not cheap, and  are next in line to top contenders like Zune and Ipod. If I had purchased a $15 no-name cheapie, and it included tag sorting (maybe I’ll go out and buy one just to find out), I’ll bet it would list my tracks in order of tag titles!

Oh, back on the subject of THIS thread - my last post to my OTHER thread, as copied to my original post for this one, still does not display in that thread - I got the pink-background warning for having posted it twice, but neither of such is there to see. Take a look for yourself (maybe in some strange way it is my computer - I’ll shut up if I get a screenshot showing it).

Well, one of us is serious enough about Sansa products to be a Sansa guru, heh, heh!

I’m a bit sorry on this too - sorry that I didn’t buy my Dad a Sony, Apple, or Microsoft player instead. I bought him the Fuze, and one for myself (not really needing it, but wanting to be able to help an older person who had interest in one). Tag management has gone from ridiculously easy with my Sony to really insane with Sandisk, and when I finally got around to unpacking my own, and saw enough comparable problems to worry what he may have gone through trying to make it work.  Oh, he probably never heard of tags, like I hadn’t before I got my Sony last year - just rips his James Taylor CDs, transfers and lets them play without caring enough to persue the display information, but I still feel responsible for any possible issues. This is what’s got me upset - I worry about his health, and this sure hasn’t been good for mine! If it were my problem alone, I’d either get my money back or give it away. 

Anyway, nobody likes getting his head kicked by an electronic  device, and it’s disturbing after you’ve spent so much time jumping through hoops as advised, just to hear the gurus deny your problem exists.

Also, Sansa products are not cheap, and  are next in line to top contenders like Zune and Ipod. If I had purchased a $15 no-name cheapie, and it included tag sorting (maybe I’ll go out and buy one just to find out), I’ll bet it would list my tracks in order of tag titles!

@itchyfinger wrote:

 

Also, Sansa products are not cheap, and  are next in line to top contenders like Zune and Ipod. If I had purchased a $15 no-name cheapie, and it included tag sorting (maybe I’ll go out and buy one just to find out), I’ll bet it would list my tracks in order of tag titles!

What are you smoking, saying the Sansas are not cheap? Are you looking at the official Sansa Store? Comparing the Sansa prices to Zune or iPod prices is pretty comical.

For an 8GB flash player:

Zune - On Amazon.com…from $127.50 to $134.97

iPod - on sale, $133.95

Fuze - from $73.10 to $73.13

@marvin_martian wrote:


@itchyfinger wrote:

 

Also, Sansa products are not cheap, and  are next in line to top contenders like Zune and Ipod. If I had purchased a $15 no-name cheapie, and it included tag sorting (maybe I’ll go out and buy one just to find out), I’ll bet it would list my tracks in order of tag titles!


What are you smoking, saying the Sansas are not cheap? Are you looking at the official Sansa Store? Comparing the Sansa prices to Zune or iPod prices is pretty comical.

For an 8GB flash player:

Zune - On Amazon.com…from $127.50 to $134.97

iPod - on sale, $133.95

Fuze - from $73.10 to $73.13

 

There is a lot more to final end cost, than just what you initially paid for it.

Don’t get me wrong, the fuze is a good (not great) player…but it is a fussy one.  I’ve had Digital Media Players since day one and I’ve never seen a player that is so particular on so many things.  It needs a certain tag, image requirements for the album art to be displayed… and the list goes on.  I understand these issues … now; but when I first got the player I had to devote some precious time in finding out these qwirks of the player.  Time is money…so the price of the player plus the time I devoted in resolving these issues, actually made the fuze more expensive than a slightly more costly unit that was a bit more user friendly.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:


@marvin_martian wrote:


@itchyfinger wrote:

 

Also, Sansa products are not cheap, and  are next in line to top contenders like Zune and Ipod. If I had purchased a $15 no-name cheapie, and it included tag sorting (maybe I’ll go out and buy one just to find out), I’ll bet it would list my tracks in order of tag titles!


What are you smoking, saying the Sansas are not cheap? Are you looking at the official Sansa Store? Comparing the Sansa prices to Zune or iPod prices is pretty comical.

For an 8GB flash player:

Zune - On Amazon.com…from $127.50 to $134.97

iPod - on sale, $133.95

Fuze - from $73.10 to $73.13

 


There is a lot more to final end cost, than just what you initially paid for it.

 

Don’t get me wrong, the fuze is a good (not great) player…but it is a fussy one.  I’ve had Digital Media Players since day one and I’ve never seen a player that is so particular on so many things.  It needs a certain tag, image requirements for the album art to be displayed… and the list goes on.  I understand these issues … now; but when I first got the player I had to devote some precious time in finding out these qwirks of the player.  Time is money…so the price of the player plus the time I devoted in resolving these issues, actually made the fuze more expensive than a slightly more costly unit that was a bit more user friendly.

That is a fair point, I must say, and something I had not taken into consideration. 

Marv, just because there are a couple of obscenely priced makes which people are buying doesn’t make the less-offensively priced toy a cheap one. Compared to the $15 mp3 players which do in fact exist, the $60 Sansas aren’t cheap at all. I doubt that they have the same output quality, but I only wonder how they handle navigation issues. Philosophically, we live in quite a bizzare society to have people paying half the cost of a fully-functional PC for a tiny little gadget which can serve only one of the thousands of functions which that PC is capable of. When you charge me more than $15 dollars for that, AND it can’t perform that function with grace more on par with that of a full operating PC system, then I will give you the hard time you deserve for it!  LOL, I guess I wouldn’t want your job either.

Message Edited by Itchyfinger on 08-17-2009 02:07 PM

Feel free to put your laptop/netbook/desktop in a shirt pocket for use as a music player. You’re paying for miniaturization.

And for sound quality.  I haven’t yet owned a notebook computer with a decent soundcard.