hey!

I will be getting a Fuze 4gig for christmas . I picked it out, $74.99 at Target . Then found this forum and see lots of problems people are having with this player - i realize the nature of forums cause many people to unnecessarily complain about stuff, but I also realize that some of these problems must be legitimate . Hope i dont regret picking out the Fuze instead of another player . I guess they probably all have their problems . I used to have a mini ipod that I actually won in a drawing at Dillards . I enjoyed the player - never really had any issues with it . Ive already been checking out sdhc cards, a place near me has the 16gig ones + adapter for $20 . I might go ahead and get one of those as well . Im using Windows 7 64 bit, hoping i dont have problems with the smc software .

That card sounds like a pretty good deal. As for SMC you will probably have problems but some of the folks around here have made some huge strides with regard to methods about not using SMC for video

You won’t regret having a Sansa Fuze.  As for forums and problems, you can have some fun and browse the iPod forums, and you’ll see that no device is immune from issues.

With the Sansa, you’re immune from being married to iTunes.  You can load the device directly, using many different operating systems, or you can opt to manage the device using Windows Media Player, Media Monkey, Napster, Rhapsody, and many other applications.

There’s only one drawback that I can think of, and that’s accessory docking units.  There are so many iPods out there that the aftermarket is full of iPod compatibles, but I’m quite happy with the Altec Lansing iM413 and iM510.

The Fuze has excellent sound quality, supporting WMA, FLAC, MP3, and OGG files, plus Audible books.  You can load videos, photos, it has a handy voice / FM recorder, and built in FM tuner.  Good stuff!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 11-22-2009 07:18 PM

Go for the Fuze. I have mine for over a year. Don’t buy it at Target though. You can get an 8 GB Fuze at Amazon.com for under $70 with free shipping, or a 4 GB one for around $55. The Fuze takes a micro SDHC card.

A full sized card won’t fit in the player.  I doubt that you will find a 16 GB micro SDHC card for under $35, and better brand ones are probably at least $45(the price on these seems to have crept up a bit)

I love my Fuze and have been using it virtually daily for well over a year. No complaints, except to echo my frustration with the lack of Fuze-specific accessories. Based on the post-count of this forum, it appears that the Fuze is probably the most popular player Sansa has at the moment, and can’t understand why they don’t make more accessories. I think they would sell more Fuzes. I never did find a decent case for it and now the screen is scratched but that’s not a big deal either since I gave up trying to use it for video anyway (screen’s just too small). Oh, and on a sunny day the screen is hard to see, and nearly impossible when wearing Polarized sunglasses. When I was converting videos I never had any of the trouble with SMC that others have reported. I think many of those issues may be user-related. Overall, for a player that is compatible with non-iTunes subscription services, the Fuze is a great deal.

In regards to purchase location choices, I would pay the extra at Target just to have a brick-and-morter store to return it if you are dissatisfied or if it is defective. Best Buy or other electronics retailer would be even better since their customer service is used to issues this type of product might have. 

FYI The default setting for the Fuze’s USB mode is “Auto Detect”. Change that to MSC (if you own all of your music files) or MTP (if you subscribe to a service like Rhapsody) before plugging it into your computer. This seems to prevent some problems before they start. 

Message Edited by qualityaudio on 11-23-2009 07:02 AM

“In regards to purchase location choices, I would pay the extra at Target just to have a brick-and-morter store to return it if you are dissatisfied or if it is defective”

Many stores charge a “restocking fee” for opened, non defective items. I don’t know if Target has such a policy. As for defective items, they can be exchanged at an internet seller as well. Some brick and mortar stores might match internet prices, so if you want to buy in a store, you should try to find one that will match internet pricing.

@ the OP:

The homemade video4Fuze saves people from having to deal with SMConverter. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=31437

And yes, it’s a microSDHC card. Regular SDHC is different.

@ qualityaudio 

I think I paid about $5 for a silicon “skin” case for my Fuze on eBay, or was it Amazon? One or the other. Works fine and if it didn’t include a stick-on screen protector, then I got one of those from dealextreme.com (cut it myself to fit). 

A Fuze definitely needs some kind of protection, so slip a new one into a case and screen protector immediately. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 11-23-2009 10:54 AM

I bought my Sansa Fuze from Office Max what a mistake! Grrr they were very nasty. I would not recommend anyone buy them from Office Max

Thanks for your responses . I do have one question, though . For video, the fuze plays Xvid, correct ? Can i use any video converter ? Id like to go ahead and convert a couple of videos if they will be useable without using the SMC .

nsauce wrote:
Thanks for your responses . I do have one question, though . For video, the fuze plays Xvid, correct? Incorrect.

Can i use any video converter? Sorry, that’s 2 questions.

Id like to go ahead and convert a couple of videos if they will be useable without using the SMC. Go ahead . . . but they won’t be usable on your Fuze w/o using SMC. And SMC doesn’t work w/o a player connected to the computer first.

wow.

nice attitude.

ill find my answers elsewhere from here on out .

nsauce wrote:

wow.

nice attitude.

ill find my answers elsewhere from here on out .

You gotta understand that your line of questioning exactly has been asked 1000 times and it has been answered over and over, so when it gets asked its easy to get frustrated. These forums have a search function and had you used it this could have been avoided. The fact of the matter is nothing Tapeworm said was incorrect. The conversion process for use with the Fuze has multiple components that need to be addressed, the only sure fire way to do that is with SMC. 

The fact of the matter is the response i was given was highly unprofessional and rude . Save your excuses for someone that cares. I will never again ask anybody here a question, and, not that any of you :robotmad: care, but i will never again buy a sandisk product. I certainly hope you people are not employed by Sandisk, and if that jerk that “answered” my question in such a smartass manner worked for me, he would be fired on the spot . If you people dont have the patience to operate a forum, I suggest you find something else to do .

As far as I’m concerned you can eat **bleep** .

Don’t bother responding, as I will not return to this worthless forum, and I have already deleted the bookmark for it. I thought I might be able to get some valuable insight here, but instead I suppose you :robotsurprised: use this site to stroke your pathetic little egos. 

■■■■■■■■■■ .

Okay, let’s keep it clean, folks.  Foul language has no place here, nor do big egos.  What started as a “cute” reply has blossomed into anger.  I do not like either one, especially when it erupts in misunderstanding.  Replies can easily be interpreted in the wrong way.

Though a question may have been asked “1000 times”, not everyone is successful using the search button, or discovers the “advanced” feature.  Remember, it’s a forum here, a wonderful thing compared to a basic knowledge base or FAQ.  Please don’t take it for granted.  Don’t complain about repetitive questions, as you don’t have to reply.

Let’s hope everyone cools off…

µsansa

The Sansa Mod Team

Message Edited by microsansa on 11-27-2009 07:11 AM

Sensitive much?

Actually, the XviD format is a play on words versus DivX.  The two formats are close, with Xvid being open-source and compatible, hence the name.  The Fuze understands this format.

You can take a source video through the Sansa Media Converter or the Video4Fuze application (submitted by a user here on the forum) and it should work fine.  As far as your mention of “any video converter”, I must clarify that for you.  There’s a great application named AnyVideoConverter (that’s the name) that works great for video format conversion prior to passing the video through the SMC.

If the SMC doesn’t like the source video, it can be translated using AVC to a format that the converter is happier with, for transfer to the Fuze as an AVI file.  AnyVideoConverter cannot transfer the file directly to the Fuze successfully.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 11-27-2009 07:25 AM

nsauce is far too fragile to have spent much time on forums. 

I’ve found the folks here at Sansa Forums to be fairly patient with “it’s been asked before” newbie questions.  

I know of several forums where a person like nsauce would have had his *** handed to him by the third post. :slight_smile:

nsauce wrote:

The fact of the matter is the response i was given was highly unprofessional and rude . Save your excuses for someone that cares. I will never again ask anybody here a question, and, not that any of you :robotmad: care, but i will never again buy a sandisk product. I certainly hope you people are not employed by Sandisk, and if that jerk that “answered” my question in such a smartass manner worked for me, he would be fired on the spot . If you people dont have the patience to operate a forum, I suggest you find something else to do .

As far as I’m concerned you can eat **bleep** .

Don’t bother responding, as I will not return to this worthless forum, and I have already deleted the bookmark for it. I thought I might be able to get some valuable insight here, but instead I suppose you :robotsurprised: use this site to stroke your pathetic little egos. 

■■■■■■■■■■ .

Okay, let’s keep it clean, folks.  Foul language has no place here, nor do big egos.  What started as a “cute” reply has blossomed into anger.  I do not like either one, especially when it erupts in misunderstanding.  Replies can easily be interpreted in the wrong way.

Though a question may have been asked “1000 times”, not everyone is successful using the search button, or discovers the “advanced” feature.  Remember, it’s a forum here, a wonderful thing compared to a basic knowledge base or FAQ.  Please don’t take it for granted.  Don’t complain about repetitive questions, as you don’t have to reply.

Let’s hope everyone cools off…

µsansa

The Sansa Mod Team

Message Edited by microsansa on 11-27-2009 07:11 AM

Wow! Did somebody grab the last slice of white meat or pumpkin pie ahead of you? Was the Cool Whip all gone by the time you got to it? Did the Bumposa’s hounds get to your holiday turkey? Those are the only reasons I can think of to justify such a tirade!  :dizzy_face:

I will bother responding, whether you return or not. I’m sorry you took offense at my response to your query. No rudeness, malice or ‘attitude’ was intended or conveyed. The answers were short, concise & accurate. More follow-up and in-depth information can be found by just poking around or using the Search function if more information is desired. Many times, answers like this is all that’s needed; if not then a polite request for more details would normally be made. In which case, either I or one of the other many qualified people on this forum would respond making sure you understood. I was in the middle of preparing Thanksgiving dinner for my family at the time, jumping back and forth bewtween the cutting board and the keyboard, so I didn’t exactly have time for expounding on the details and elaborating with flowery, cutesy prose.

And as far as changing the Subject line? It is common courtesy, plain and simple for anyone that posts on a message board or public forum to indicate in the Subject what the message inside is about. “hey” does not convey anything, nor is it helpful to anyone. The fact is, it is downright disrespectful of those you are trying to illicit a response and help from. I was just trying to subtly remind you that these are people here that you were so flipantly dismissive of. Especially considering the fact that you are wanting information from them; one would think you would be more cognizant of the fact that you were insulting them with your very 1st utterance here.

If you are true to your word, then I guess you will never see this, so you may go through the rest of your life over a gross mis-interpretation and misunderstanding of what was said or meant here . . . but on the outside chance your curiousity gets the better of you and you do stop back in to see what carnage if any, resulted from your tantrum maybe you will be in a better mood and see things in a different light.

Again, no malevolence was directed at you, but thank you all the same for your PM to me expressing your concerns. Although, with all the **bleep** **bleep** **bleep** & **bleep** in the way, it was very hard to intertrepret your true feelings. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s also worth pointing out (unless it already was and I missed it in between bleeps) that the vast majority of people who respond to questions on this board are just helpful users of sansa players, who are answering the same queries over and over out of the goodness of their hearts. 

EDIT: just re-read the mod edit… could really have been a little more greatful for the fact that people are answering queries here which will save sandisk time and money.  It’s really nice to see it’s appreciated… next time someone asks about USB modes we should see how long it takes to get an ‘offical’ response

Message Edited by summerlove on 11-27-2009 07:22 PM

Tapeworm wrote:

it was very hard to interpret your true feelings. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this is what he was trying to say.:wink:

this literally made me LOL. apparently this is not only his first mp3 player but also his first time posting on a forum. the mods and admins here are pretty lenient with regards to reposts so i would hate to think how he would react on most other forums i post in.