FM recording

I want to be sure I know what the Fuze is capable of. I haven’t downloaded any new firmware in quite a while, I really don’t use a lot of the potential of the Fuze so I haven’t felt I needed any upgrade. Plus, new firmware can sometimes bring on other unintended consequences.

So my first question is, if I updated the firmware, would the new firmware add any features to the FM recording functions?

Here’s why I ask:

The recording function is about as basic as it can get. Someone did not think this one through well or it was just an “oh by the way” add on. All I can do, is start a recording from a live FM broadcast and that’s it; you are locked out of doing ANYTHING else with the fuse…NOTHING unless you stop the recording.

So what I would like is (other than being able to access ANYTHING else while recording) is to be able to start listening to a recording before stopping the recording…sort of “join in progress” and pause, fast forward whatever portion has recorded WHILE the recording continues to take place.

That’s pretty much it. I suppose I can give up any other enhancements like scheduling a recording. I would just like to be able to do SOMETHING else while recording is taking place, preferably begin listening to a program as it records.

My version is V02.03.33P  probably ancient. My Fuse has worked great for years now as a basic MP3 player. It’s disappointing now that I want to use other features I find this thing is severely limited in the FM recording function.

Any feedback/help is appreciated.

@kennyd wrote:

So my first question is, if I updated the firmware, would the new firmware add any features to the FM recording functions?

No.

@kennyd wrote:

The recording function is about as basic as it can get. Someone did not think this one through well or it was just an “oh by the way” add on. All I can do, is start a recording from a live FM broadcast and that’s it; you are locked out of doing ANYTHING else with the fuse…NOTHING unless you stop the recording.

That’s right. It is a ‘basic’ recording feature. You cannot listen to other music (mp3s) while recording nor start listening to your recording before it is finished. It’s not like the DVR’s of today.

@kennyd wrote:

My version is V02.03.33P  probably ancient. My Fuse has worked great for years now as a basic MP3 player. It’s disappointing now that I want to use other features I find this thing is severely limited in the FM recording function.

No, you have the latest firmware version for this player. The Fuze model though is several years (6) old at this point and as you say is a basic mp3 player with FM radio & Voice recording capabilities. Even the newer players today I don’t believe will do what you want, and even if you do find one that does, it will cost several times what the Fuze did when it was new.

Thanks Tape, that clears it up.

I am shopping for other options and anything of any quality is definitely more expensive. There are not a lot of products out there for this use, it seems I am always trying to get something I can’t get.

So, from your reply; I take it that SanDisk does not have a new line of products (even if more expensive) that could handle what I am looking for? I’m not opposed to spending money. As I recall this was the largest memory Fuze available at the time so that’s what I bought. I was trying to avoid the iPod.

Although the iPod is looking better not only for features, but there also is a remote control device you can get so you can plug the iPod in to your stereo at home for instance and control the basic functions from a distance around the house.

Please Tape, save me from Apple and tell me SanDisk has something like this!

Maybe you can add this feature as a suggestion for future releases though. Or if it’s an option for you, now is the time to purchase an extra/secondary Fuze. It’s like hitting two birds in one stone. 

@kennyd wrote:

So, from your reply; I take it that SanDisk does not have a new line of products (even if more expensive) that could handle what I am looking for? I’m not opposed to spending money. As I recall this was the largest memory Fuze available at the time so that’s what I bought. I was trying to avoid the iPod.

Please Tape, save me from Apple and tell me SanDisk has something like this!

I’m afraid not. Good luck in your search though.

The Fuze was the best SanDisk mp3 player but has long been discontinued. It’s not getting any firmware upgrades 

You could see if Rockbox, the alternate firmware at www.rockbox.org ,  records FM with features you prefer. 

http://download.rockbox.org/daily/manual/rockbox-sansafuzev2/rockbox-buildch10.html#x13-15800010