Voice Recordings Skip?

All, I just picked up the Fuze+ for my wife the other day and really like it so far. One of the main reasons we bought it was to record audio (mostly college lectures). After performing some test recordings we noticed it skips around and misses some of the voice. I have read through numerous other messages describing a similar issue with the Fuze but could not really pull a definitive solution from any of them. Anyone know what the issue/solution might be? Not sure if this is a firmware issue since the Fuze+ just came out right? I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

After doing a more thorough search of the Fuze database it appears I made a mistake in buying this if I wanted to use it to record voice.  It appears that after the V1 Fuze SanDisk has been using cheaper mic hardware coupled w/ lame recording firmware.  THe Fuze+ must has the same issues for recording radio and voice that V2 Fuze does.  Skipping, popping, ticking.  Mine is going back to Best Buy.  Going to try something else.  Don’t get me wrong though the Fuze+ is a great MP3 player, picture viewer, vid player but the recorder is lacking big time.  Hopefully in the future they might work this issue out.  

Wow.  That ■■■■■.  I have a V1 Fuze and have been pretty satisfied with Voice Recording.  I did not know that the performance had been reduced with V2 Fuze or the new Fuze+.

Imo even the Fuze V1 is not acceptable for voice recording, especially when the speaker is more than 5 feet away. For recording get a recorder. AFAIK, no current mp3 players are acceptable as recorders.

@jk98 wrote:

Imo even the Fuze V1 is not acceptable for voice recording, especially when the speaker is more than 5 feet away. For recording get a recorder. AFAIK, no current mp3 players are acceptable as recorders.

agreed, these are really just designed for short note taking for grocery lists or directions when you are driving. If you want to record a full lecture you should get a dedicated voice recorder IMO. 

I do have an older Creative Labs Zen Vision M that she has been using to record lectures and it works perfectly for that.  It probably does a better job since it records to hard disk.  Maybe I should just keep the Fuze for myself and let her have my Zen.    

I like the e200 series v2 device for voice recording best.  It has a dedicated Record button, and you can resume playback of your music after recording.  In the same case, the v1 device had similar functionality, but the processor was noisy when recording.

The Clip has a decent recording sensitivity, but the current Clip+ suffers from EMI from the OLED display, meaning that your display causes a background “buzz” when active.

Voice recordings are recorded in wav PCM format, not in handy MP3 format, so they need to be compressed later, after transfer to the PC, if you want a handy archive. 

I agree, for lectures, where the speaker is far from the microphone, a dedicated recorder is the hot ticket.  For occasional note taking or dictation, I find the one-touch function on the e200 is quite handy- especially since I always have a Sansa close by.

As far as “skipping” or audio dropouts, I’ll have to experiment a bit with the Fuze+.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the same problem with my Sansa Fuse+8GB , I think Sandisk should not mislead people and I not happy or recomend there product to anyone . I will write them since I bought it on line I guess stuck with this , and can only use it as music player .

If your recordings are skipping, be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware that came out a couple of weeks ago - there is a fix for that.  The little bit of testing I tried seemed to work perfectly.